Most dropped courses at ISU this semester

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I was a Calc 166 drop - had a epiphany at 2:00 am one evening when studying for a Calc exam and I realized this engineering thing wasn't my calling. Called my dad the next day and said I was switching majors and he said "whatever you think is best". I sincerely appreciated that and my career in nuclear medicine began. Which lasted one day then I switched to agronomy.

By the way the agronomy was and is still the coolest building on campus.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Graduated high school in Dec and started at ISU in Jan. Calc 165 made me seriously question what the f* I was doing. Not only did I drop the class, I changed my major. Scared the daylights out of me. My po-dunk high school did not adequately prepare me for that class. By the end of the next year I probably could have handled it as my study habits improved drastically. I didn't drop Stat 226, but I squeaked by as I started to learn how to study by the end of that semester.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Isn't library one of the most failed courses? Because if you miss one or something it's a fail. I remember something like that from when I was in school

It definitely had an odd schedule. When I was there, you could follow the course on its weekly schedule (assignments/quizzes) or expedite and hand everything in early (IIRC). I vaguely remember missing the 'early' deadline and scrambling to catchup on the weekly stuff.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wow, I either took or had credit for 8 of those 10 classes. The worst grade I got in any of them was an A- (brag)
26385.gif

kcbob79clone

Reactions: Primetime26

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had library and VEISHEA happened during it. I actually drug myself to it. The head lady showed up that day to teach all 3-4 of us. We who showed passed with no more assignments and a POd head lady.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The only way you drop Library is if you drop out of school completely.

So glad I took the CC route to bypass all of this unnecessary crap.
Everyone was supposed to take library. Whether you were a transfer or a freshman.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure I would have passed math 165 if I hadn't already taken calculus in high school. At that time (don't know now), it was often taught by TA's that may know math but they didn't know how to teach. Add in that it was the first semester for most of us and it was the first time that we had to experience someone with English as a second language. Just a combination of things that add up to the class really being harder than the subject matter should have it be
I actually took Calc for Natural Sciences or something like that. Math 161 and 162 I think. Basically Calc light. Doesn't even look like they offer that any more. I think I would have been fine taking 165, but my advisor was like "Why would you do that if you don't have to?", so I took the easier option.

Edit: It was Math 181 and 182, Calc and Modeling for Life Sciences.

Last edited:

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Elwynn Taylor

Also, you know you ****** up when you walked onto campus expecting a beautiful day and the Meteorologists had umbrellas. :mccaffery:

Yes Agronomy 206! Those meteorologist students were a strange bunch....they were the nerds of the agronomy family.

If I remember wasn't that class MWF at like 4:00 in the afternoons? It made FAC really challenging.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I took that class with several ISU football players...fun group.

Anyone else take Meteorology 206 Clouds?

I took Meteorology during one of the first years that the internet was a thing. One of our assignments consisted of looking at radar in a few locations and predicting the weather a couple days out.

....****, I think I just aged 10 years typing that.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Everyone was supposed to take library. Whether you were a transfer or a freshman.
I took Library because, yes, you have to. I meant that I bypassed most GE classes and took what I wanted that was related to my major. I see how my last post suggested otherwise. It's Friday. **** it. :cool:

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes Agronomy 206! Those meteorologist students were a strange bunch....they were the nerds of the agronomy family.

If I remember wasn't that class MWF at like 4:00 in the afternoons? It made FAC really challenging.
I started with Agronomy. While I got tired of all the damn Organic Chemistry (labs specifically) the loads of botany got me looking elsewhere. Then my Ag Business friends started getting a bunch of agronomy jobs but no agronomy major got an ag business job. I made the switch right then.

Reactions: bellzisu

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Got 5 of those courses on my transcript. Surprised that Physics 221/222 doesn't make an appearance. That was always a big engineering weed out for those who hadn't been picked off with one of the Calc courses.

Physics 221 was the only course I dropped and took during the summer. Felt like I cheated by doing that. I passed Physics 222 and I don't remember any of it or how I did it.

old-school-blackedout.gif