Votes: 106 44.9%
  • Incentives

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Buyout

Votes: 33 14.0%

• Total voters

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I don't think any of us can truly speak to his mindset, except maybe for a few people who personally know him. For all we know if he's offered a salary bump he might say "instead of giving me a million more dollars a year get me a million more in the NIL pool". Which honestly I think we are going to see more coaches do as a "bet on themselves" move, as if the talent can be brought in to sustain success more money will follow to take care of the salary component
Can't give directly to the pool....but they'd find a workaround "I want endless supply of We Will beer." Lol

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Money obviously matters. You obviously get to the point where there is diminishing utility on the extra money (like what is 5 million in Ankeny getting you that 4 isn’t) but it is - like it or not - a means of defining success and how much the university and cyclone community value him.

That said, TJ doesn’t strike me as the guy that’s waiting for the Kentucky or Michigan State job to open up so someone can throw a huge salary at him. I know know him personally, of course, but - like Campbell - it seems like he is in it for the challenge of building a sustainably successful program and competing for championships.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I don't think any of us can truly speak to his mindset, except maybe for a few people who personally know him. For all we know if he's offered a salary bump he might say "instead of giving me a million more dollars a year get me a million more in the NIL pool". Which honestly I think we are going to see more coaches do as a "bet on themselves" move, as if the talent can be brought in to sustain success more money will follow to take care of the salary component
Once school ADs are able to contribute to NIL (which is coming soon), you will start seeing this contribution as part of the coaches contract. It will be part of the negotiation as much as asst coaches salaries.

• Useful
Reactions: CyValley

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I fall into the 1A & 1B mentality:

1A- Pay TJ so that he feels valued. Even though he might not need to be paid like a Self or Drew, unless he's a unique person he's going to want to feel the love and be paid in top 4-5 of Big12 coaches.

1B- ISU needs to be prepared to bump assistant salaries. A guy like Green might be happy to stay in Iowa as long as he's feeling some love ($). But other, younger assistants it might take our being able to match what big money P4 schools are offering. And that might not even get the job done, coaching can be a nomadic lifestyle to position oneself to be a head coach.

Reactions: nrg4isu

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This isn't that difficult. Ask him what he wants. Give it to him. And then give me a bit more money than he asked for. Done.

I'd also make the buyout to hire him away as large as he'll allow.

Reactions: NWICY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This isn't that difficult. Ask him what he wants. Give it to him. And then give me a bit more money than he asked for. Done.

I'd also make the buyout to hire him away as large as he'll allow.
I wonder if the length of the new deal will give any insight into Pollard's thoughts on how long he will be planning to be around as AD.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
This is a good point. I never thought about NIL and Coaches contracts from that perspective. Bump my assistant coaches salary up and give me an extra couple million so I can donate to NIL.

I was going to say give him half of Cytown and give CMC the other half.

I don't know any of the "mechanical" details about how NIL works . . . but, I think from CW-Blum podcasts I picked up that coaches and the institution cannot be involved in NIL. Is this the fact, anyone here know?

(Edit: Oops, discussed above.)

Last edited:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
If we win the Natty this year - we have to retire TJ's extra small polo and hang from the rafters.

I wish he'd wear larger polos, he looks constrained, uncomfortable (to my eyes) with the size he wears. Like it shrunk in the dryer. He'd still look buff in larger Ps.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY