Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Buyout

Votes: 33 14.0%

• Total voters

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I don't know any of the "mechanical" details about how NIL works . . . but, I think from CW-Blum podcasts I picked up that coaches and the institution cannot be involved in NIL. Is this the fact, anyone here know?

(Edit: Oops, discussed above.)
It seems like it would be impossible to prohibit anyone from contributions to NIL. It is pretty settled that donations are a form of free speech.

• Informative
Reactions: CyValley

OrangeCarrot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 1, 2023
Money obviously matters. You obviously get to the point where there is diminishing utility on the extra money (like what is 5 million in Ankeny getting you that 4 isn’t) but it is - like it or not - a means of defining success and how much the university and cyclone community value him.

That said, TJ doesn’t strike me as the guy that’s waiting for the Kentucky or Michigan State job to open up so someone can throw a huge salary at him. I know know him personally, of course, but - like Campbell - it seems like he is in it for the challenge of building a sustainably successful program and competing for championships.
I think the only Big Ten job we should even consider worrying about is Wisconsin.

Reactions: MugNight

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I don't think any of us can truly speak to his mindset, except maybe for a few people who personally know him. For all we know if he's offered a salary bump he might say "instead of giving me a million more dollars a year get me a million more in the NIL pool". Which honestly I think we are going to see more coaches do as a "bet on themselves" move, as if the talent can be brought in to sustain success more money will follow to take care of the salary component
Playing off this do you throw the million to one guy or do you split it between the team to keep the unity and help the stars pick up some extra somewhere.
I would lean toward the even split.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I think the only Big Ten job we should even consider worrying about is Wisconsin.
That’s fair. Unless he really wants to go back home (which is not home to his wife or children which is worth nothing) their would have to be an enormous amount of money on the table or something we couldn’t offer as a program. Both of which seem unlikely if he continues his success here.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I wish he'd wear larger polos, he looks constrained, uncomfortable (to my eyes) with the size he wears. Like it shrunk in the dryer. He'd still look buff in larger Ps.

My mom's friend complained to her the other day about the snugness of TJs polos. I told mom if I buff like TJ I'd wear tight polos also.:)

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think you treat his salary just like he builds his team.

You have to balance all the listed factors. He doesn't have the ego that needs obscene salary but it better be in north half of Big XII. The assistant staff he has assembled is top notch. He is likely to lose one or two in the next year or two. Let him get the next young brilliant mind. Incentives always make sense in a sales job which this absolutely is. Length of contract needs to show recruits we are stable. I think if we don't have to worry about one part it is buyout other than that is some insurance if JP is not there all of a sudden.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My mom's friend complained to her the other day about the snugness of TJs polos. I told mom if I buff like TJ I'd wear tight polos also.:)
I get where mom’s friend is coming from. I don’t really care about it from our basketball coach, but I always kind of avoided guys in my personal life who seemed to be trying too hard and flaunting the fact they could beat the crap out of me if they wanted to.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Cupped

Feb 11, 2016
Some great points but I'll add that most employees don't quit their jobs, they quit their bosses. We really need to keep JP happy!

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I think in this iteration, you need to focus on his salary.

It’s been discussed that he is happy to be at Iowa State and doesn’t appear to be shopping around for other jobs (unless insiders know something we don’t). So buyout and length doesn’t seem as important this time around.
In the new Big 12, he needs to be like the third highest paid coach, agree with this.

Highest paid Self, then rodent look alike award winner Scott Drew, then T.J.