Most Valuable Men's Basketball Player so Far?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Who do you think so far this season is the Men's most valuable player in basketball. You can see reasons for a couple. Curious to see what others are thinking.

View attachment 108184

There isn't one. That's the beauty of the thing.

The fact that the (current) five starters each lead one of those categories is just magical.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Part of what makes this team tough to play against is that it's hard to determine who's the MVP. You can make a case for 3-4 guys. Gabe, Grill, Lipsey, and maybe Holmes. But none of those guys are completely essential either. Not a bad problem to have

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I think the team would be in the most trouble if Lipsey were to get injured for a substantial amount of time, so he would be my MVP. He just has such a calming influence on the floor, and is elite defensively. Gabe, Jaren, and Caleb have all been great, but if we were to lose one of them I think we could still be a top 25 type team. Not sure thats the case without Tamin.

Last edited:

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Holmes is probably the most versatile, as he plays PG, some, shoots the 3 adequately, drives, gets the tough buckets, and defends 1-4.

If it's between Grill and Gabe, you have to take Gabe. He is shooting almost as good as Grill from 3, is still a better defender (although Grill is a lot closer than last year), can score when he's not hitting the 3, Grill not so much, and doesn't turn the ball over (Grill has been a little loose with the ball lately).

Reactions: StLouisClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The fact that the (current) five starters each lead one of those categories is just magical.

Yep, depends on the game. I hope this thing continues because it's a whole bunch of fun when it's going well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Whilst I think this is really the answer, I think you could make an argument for both Gabe and Tamin.

I am the first guy to get frustrated with Gabe when he has those 1for8 nights but just keeps chucking bad 3s and turning it over. But roughly since his dreadful performance in IC, he has been absolutely dialled in on both sides of the ball, just letting the game come to him. I think without him, we are 1-3 in conference instead of 4-0.

With Tamin, the argument is he is irreplaceable - without him, Holmes is way overwhelmed and/or we have Eli or Gabe playing significant minutes at PG, neither of which is a good thing at all. Lots more turnovers, lots more stagnation on offense, lots less points, and lots less wins. Tamin has been very good period, but his WAR on this team is off the charts.

Great topic Beast!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
If I had to pick, it would probably be Grill for just all around guy that you would most miss if he wasn't on the floor, with Gabe a close second. But it does seem to change every game, which is awesome.
Grill has really developed into a really solid all around player. Everyone notices his 3-point shooting but he's tenacious on defense and seems to play with an attitude this year.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Lipsey. We were in desperate need of a PG this year when Jeremiah Williams went down.

Honestly I think Lipsey is a better fit than Hunter would have been anyways. He's a true PG whereas Hunter is a combo.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

That was my thought too. I guess if I had to pick Id go Lipsey since he's the only one who can do what he does on the team but its tough

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
We don't have an MVP. That is what is most exciting about this team!

We need 2/4 of our guards to have good games for us to have a chance at winning. 3/4 and we are top 1/3 team in the Big 12. 4/4 and we are a top 4 seed in come March.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron