Most Valuable Men's Basketball Player so Far?

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
These first 4 games of the conference slate have been unreal for Gabe.
12 threes, 12 steals+blocks, only 3 turnovers, leads the team in minutes & points.

The turnovers is the biggest thing. It really shows how much more comfortable and poised he has become. The shots falling are a nice byproduct of that too, of course.
Last year he had 16 games with 3 or more turnovers. He's eclipsed 3 TO in only one game so far this year.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
It's Lipsey. We're much smoother as a team when he's out there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Holmes is probably the most versatile, as he plays PG, some, shoots the 3 adequately, drives, gets the tough buckets, and defends 1-4.

If it's between Grill and Gabe, you have to take Gabe. He is shooting almost as good as Grill from 3, is still a better defender (although Grill is a lot closer than last year), can score when he's not hitting the 3, Grill not so much, and doesn't turn the ball over (Grill has been a little loose with the ball lately).
I'm going to say Lipsey but I agree there is no clear cut #1.

I think your final analysis between Grill and Gabe is correct, however I would chalk up Grill's rebounding as something in his column that makes it a bit closer than you have it here.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Gabe is 2nd in points and has been on fire from 3 recently while also playing all big 12 level Defense. It’s him but Lipsey is a very close second

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Gabe is 2nd in points and has been on fire from 3 recently while also playing all big 12 level Defense. It’s him but Lipsey is a very close second
I think Gabe was 0-5 from three before that game winner.

I still say Lipsey for being our best ball handler and generating offense for others. He has skills others do not.

My first thought was Gabe as second most valuable but he and Grill are so streaky. Was surprised to learn Holmes our leading scorer but it makes sense. He is way more consistent than Gabe or Grill, less flashy but consistent.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I think the beauty of this team is it does not have an MVP. There can be a different guy step up any night. Even within a game there are different players step up and make key plays. Holmes for example, seems to be starting slow in conference games but when we need a bucket in crunch time he steps up. Makes us difficult to prepare for IMO.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have to say, I never dreamed ISU would open Big 12 play 4-0 when Jaz went down. He's not a starter but there are so many little things that have to be done that he is so good at. I am anxious to see what this team looks like when he is back because I think many players have picked up those little things since he went out. I think having King and Jaz both available is going to be a luxury down the stretch.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Hawley.

When he's playing (can't say "in the game", he is in the game, always), you know that everyone else has done a stellar job.

Hawley is the Hester of Millennials.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
Not sure there's a most valuable but Lipsey is most indispensable with Williams' injury. If he were to go down, no one else can do what he does.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have to say, I never dreamed ISU would open Big 12 play 4-0 when Jaz went down. He's not a starter but there are so many little things that have to be done that he is so good at. I am anxious to see what this team looks like when he is back because I think many players have picked up those little things since he went out. I think having King and Jaz both available is going to be a luxury down the stretch.

Jaz is top offensive player in a lot of advanced efficiency stats in terms of how offense does with and without him…at least he was before this hot stretch. He’s up there in defensive advanced stats too.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Agree with others that it’s tough and that is both (a) by design and (b) a good thing.

But if you really understand the game of basketball I think you look past the stats, all-time performances, buzzer beaters, etc and see how much better our team is when Lipsey is on the floor. Both offensively and defensively.

This is classic “what does it mean to be MVP” so not looking to start and argument here, but if you’re talking about who really makes our team go minute-by-minute and night-by-night it’s Lipsey and it’s not close.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
MVPs were Holmes and Osun in the first 5 games. Grill and Lipsey in the next 5 games. Kalscheur in the last 5 games. Honorable mention to Jones, Kunc and King.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
How can you pick one. One could argue Jaz was until he got hurt, but then you could argue just about half the team is.