Muscatine students get all expenses paid trip to China

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
Heck of an opportunity for those kids. It's an interesting relationship Xi has with Iowa. Seems to genuinely like Iowa. I'd think he seems like a nice guy if not for the whole brutal dictator thing.
they are all whole brutal dictators..... depending on what side you are on

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Do it. We went on our first cruise last fall and it was a Disney one. Had a good time. We are already going somewhere in a month on our next cruise (Norwegian this time).

I think it'd be a cool opportunity. Never been to any Asian countries yet, but I'd feel like that'd be a trip of special treatment by Xi.

I'm looking into taking the kids on a cruise in 2025, Disney is practically twice as much as Carnival/Royal Caribbean. Is there anything other than princesses that justify twice the cost?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
they are all whole brutal dictators..... depending on what side you are on
Maybe you have a point with brutal, but I'm going to push back pretty hard on the dictator part. There are some pretty objective measures of dictatorship that many world leaders do not meet, but Xi most definitely does.

• Agree
Reactions: JEFF420

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don’t think that’s for me. If I can go to another country, that one would be pretty far down the list. I’d rather a place like Australia and take my chances not dying.
e0c90072737c94d1f72e9fcfadd2ff9b

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Mildly unrelated to the true subject, but my wife and I postponed our honeymoon to host the first contingent (10 or 12) of Chinese agricultural professors and engineers to the United States to our family farm in 1982. We got married on a Friday and they arrived on a Saturday. They were exceptionally inquisitive, polite and professional. Only 2 or three could speak any English so most communications were done through an interpreter but it didn't seem to affect communication in the least. One of my favorite experiences during the visit was when they noticed our 12 row planter sitting in the yard that hadn't been tucked away in a machine shed yet (it was at the end of planting season). One of the non-English speaking professors stated that he couldn't believe we limited ourselves to 12 rows and boldly stated they had the ability to plant up to 20 rows at a time. When we inquired about their equipment he chuckled and said something to the effect of "20 women with hoes". It was an awesome experience to know that they were comfortable enough to joke around with us and let us know how far behind us they were in their mechanization of agriculture. They were so focused that political views never entered the conversation.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I just checked mine, Expires in 28 so I have a few years to go before I have to worry about it.
Our experience was favorable with Passports. Went into auditors office in local courthouse and got them shipped to us in about 3 weeks. All very very easy.

Only real issue I have with passports is the expiration on kids passports. Sorry but we are going out of the country this year and my kids look absolutely NOTHING like they did 3 years ago. ALOT can change when going from 11 to 14 years old, 13 to 16 years old and 15-18 years old. ALOT. To the point the photo is worthless.

Now me and my wife on the other hand not much change. A few more gray hairs on me and my wife has a different style of haircut but our faces look the same.

Anyway back on track: Good for Muscatine. Thats awesome. If the opportunity arose for my kids I would absolutely get them to the signup sheet and try to be first in line.

Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I've heard from people who visited China they loved it and recommend it....they said if you get past the political stuff going on and their people were very welcoming.
The political stuff and the smog/air pollution in the cities were my two biggest issues. Get to the countryside if you are going.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I'm looking into taking the kids on a cruise in 2025, Disney is practically twice as much as Carnival/Royal Caribbean. Is there anything other than princesses that justify twice the cost?
Our disney cost wasn't awful (total $3300 for 3 4 day cruise), but we did one of the smaller ships in order to acclimate our little one as a test run. He loved it and it allowed us to have a good time without constantly worrying about boundaries.

But I don't disagree, other options are cheaper. Our 7 day Norwegian cruise was $2800 (used points though). From what I hear, Disney just caters to kids more and goes over the top with their service. We'll see how it shakes out after this next one.

Also, I know cruise lines run sales all the time, but a good time to purchase is black friday. That or a travel agent should keep you updated on any new sales too.

Reactions: NWICY and Tailg8er

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Hopefully none of them pull a USC situation from their overseas travels. We had classmates get arrested at an amusement park on a school trip for similar offenses

hiltonisheaven

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The political stuff and the smog/air pollution in the cities were my two biggest issues. Get to the countryside if you are going.
How long ago did you visit? I was in Shanghai in 2019 and the air quality wasn’t bad at all. Beijing in 2018 was very clean. I think they’ve been working hard to move manufacturing away from the city centers to help air quality.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Ni hao!!!

I went to China in the late 1990's, an incredible experience, focusing on Beijing (with side trips to the summer palace and the Great Wall), and Xian to see the clay soldiers.

Got to tour a Hutong village and meet people still living there (the grandpa still wore his blue Mao uniform) and went up in one of the drum towers before they and most of the Hutong villages got torn down for the Olympics. This is back in the day when there was only ONE McDonalds, near Tiananmen Square. Not as many cars as now, saw people moving ientire living room furniture sets strapped on to bicycles, as well as mule carts hauling charcoal bricks down the road.

Can still remember going to the local market in Xian on New Year's Day, and trying to figure out what in the world they were selling (you know, eels, blue chickens, seven million colors of spices). It was amazing to know how much communication can be done with facial expressions and gestures. Also, I had previously lived and traveled extensively in Europe, Mexico and Canada, but China was the first place where I actually felt like I was visiting a foreign country. Maybe because I only knew three phrases: Ni hao (hello, good), Bu hao (not good), and Xie-xie (thank you).

I could go on and on, but I think you get my drift...what an INCREDIBLE opportunity for young people! OUTSTANDING!

Reactions: NWICY and JEFF420

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
You travel for work types can all suck it. I don't get to do it often but a few years back, I got to spend two nights in beautiful Fort Dodge.
I gotta go to Puerto Vallarta next week for work... idk if i can drink all those beers.........

Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
How long ago did you visit? I was in Shanghai in 2019 and the air quality wasn’t bad at all. Beijing in 2018 was very clean. I think they’ve been working hard to move manufacturing away from the city centers to help air quality.
It's been a while but it is very time of the year dependent. Summers were the worst by far.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron