Must be nice….

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As much as I hate EIU, I will admit they win, because they do the little things that add up to big things which means wins in the end. Their special teams year after year are a strength, while ours is a huge weakness. They make field goals, and they have a freshman kicker also, their punts are not 38 yards but pushing 50, and they return punts instead of fair catching them and thereby setting up their horrible offense to get easier opportunities to score.

As great as our defense has played this year, we do not get turnovers, and way to often give up cheap touchdowns, EIU makes you earn every yard that they give up. They stunt in passing situations, blitz when necessary, keeping the offense guessing what they are going to do.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
As much as I hate EIU, I will admit they win, because they do the little things that add up to big things which means wins in the end. Their special teams year after year are a strength, while ours is a huge weakness. They make field goals, and they have a freshman kicker also, their punts are not 38 yards but pushing 50, and they return punts instead of fair catching them and thereby setting up their horrible offense to get easier opportunities to score.

As great as our defense has played this year, we do not get turnovers, and way to often give up cheap touchdowns, EIU makes you earn every yard that they give up. They stunt in passing situations, blitz when necessary, keeping the offense guessing what they are going to do.
Agree - Iowa is actually the epitome of ”win in the margins”. They do the little things that matter and win while having a horrible offense. That shows in the fact that they’re actually finding ways to win when their offense can’t do much.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
It would be nice to have the luck of Iowa. Every game they get a couple turnovers where the ball goes directly to a defender that is nowhere near the play. If a pass gets batted in the air, you can be sure it is going right to an Iowa defender, in stride.
Although Iowa has a very good defense this is a function of the terrible quarterback play in the Big 10. Mertz at Wisconsin, Morgan and Kaliakmanis at Minnesota, NW and Rutger’s QBs, none would sniff the field for any team in the Big 12. Casey Thompson left Texas because he had no chance of beating out Ewers. He wouldn’t start in the Big 12 either. This is a big reason why Big 10 football is so hard to watch.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Minnesota was 1 of 8 in the second half for passing against Iowa. All they can do is run the ball. We would bury that offense. Wisconsin is not good.

ISU is not good either.

ISU's front 7 would struggle with Minnesota and WI's Olines.

They would likely still be close games and ISU has a hard time in that scenario.

• Disagree
Reactions: cytor

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would agree with that.

We’ve proven many times this year that our issues aren’t with the strength of the opposing team, their offense, or their defense - we’re equal opportunity losers this year. We lost to the best defenses and the worst defenses by the same margin. We lost to the best offenses and the worst offenses by the same margin.

Swap Texas Tech for Wisconsin - we still lose. Swap Oklahoma State for Purdue - we still lose. Swap Texas for Illinois - we still lose. Swap Kansas for Rutgers - we still lose. Swap Kansas State for Michigan - we still lose. Swap TCU for tOSU - we still lose. Swap West Virginia for Northwestern - we still win.

We lost because of our offensive strategy and decision making, and that wouldn’t change (as proven through 8 conference games) based on our opponent. We lost because we’re in the bottom 1% of all college football for points per yard gained. We lost because our special teams is too special.
Feels like you’re giving some of those west teams a little too much credit with those comparisons but the fact remains that if you go 1 of 5 in the red zone or turn the ball over 5 times you would be lucky to beat Coe College.

Reactions: BigTurk

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Justice would be served if the B1G West wins the B1G Championship game. Would say volumes about the B1G and put the CFP committee into a lather.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and irish

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Justice would be served if the B1G West wins the B1G Championship game. Would say volumes about the B1G and put the CFP committee into a lather.
No. Then it would just create a level of Hok arrogance (assuming it would be Iowa) heading into next season that would be insufferable and even more nauseating than usual because they wouuld end on a huge win streak.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Feels like you’re giving some of those west teams a little too much credit with those comparisons but the fact remains that if you go 1 of 5 in the red zone or turn the ball over 5 times you would be lucky to beat Coe College.

You would think ISU handles like NW and Purdue but then again you would think they'd have scored pretty easily on KU, OSU, Tech, etc.

They're such a baffling team that it's hard to feel confident in a lot of match ups.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You would think ISU handles like NW and Purdue but then again you would think they'd have scored pretty easily on KU, OSU, Tech, etc.

They're such a baffling team that it's hard to feel confident in a lot of match ups.
Be interesting to see if Case IH still wants to be a sponsor next year.

• Funny
Reactions: frackincygy

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Iowa makes FG's, get TO's for td's, doesn't turn it over and finds away to win in the "margins". ISU doesn't do any of those and that's why we lose. For a man that preaches margins, we have to be one of the worst in the country.

I don't think ISU beats Minny, Purdue, or Wisconsin.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Minnesota was 1 of 8 in the second half for passing against Iowa. All they can do is run the ball. We would bury that offense. Wisconsin is not good.
I totally agree that our defense would dominate the entire Big 10 West. But our defense has pretty much dominated the entire Big 12, and we have a single win, so.....

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No. Then it would just create a level of Hok arrogance (assuming it would be Iowa) heading into next season that would be insufferable and even more nauseating than usual because they wouuld end on a huge win streak.

Like Hok fans aren't going to arrogant no matter what.

OSU and UM aren't exactly looking like world beaters as of late.

I'd guess it's at least close for a lot of the B1G game.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I think ISU would beat Rutgers and NW and would have been blown out against Michigan and OSU. The other games would have been close, but outside of the Iowa game ironically they haven’t won close games this year or really ever under Campbell. So they would probably have 5 wins with Iowa’s schedule.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Yep, it's largely the "find ways to lose regardless of opponent" aspect that keeps me from declaring ISU would be something like 7-4 right now vs. Iowa's schedule.

I think 6-6 would be reaslistic, though, even with our flaws. Northwestern is horrible, we'd have to try really hard to lose that. And if ISU played Frost-version Nebraska (that is, in September-ish) that's probably a win.

RU, UW, Minnesota, those could depend on what point in the season it occurred, maybe we'd eke out one of them, or we'd have it within grasp and not finish the job (more likely)