MUST-READ: Pete Thamel on the future of the Big 12

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Promotion/relegation is such an immensely stupid idea for college sports that I assume anyone who brings it up has absolutely no understanding of, well, anything. Like, 16 team conferences with "pods" are something I think is stupid, but is a legit idea that could be viable. But to say promotion/relegation is a non-starter is putting it mildly.

How do schools recruit if it can't tell recruits who they'll be playing, or where?
How do schools budget if TV income might drop by an order of magnitude at any time?
How would it work for other sports? Would they all follow football or would we end up in a different conference for each sport?
And so on.
Throw politics into the realm of things as well. When LSU was looking at canning Les Miles, a bunch of political types really got their panties in a bunch. There were questions pointed towards LSU like, "How can you afford a $15million buyout for a FB coach and not pay to repair buildings on campus?" While we all know how that is possible, It signifies a political shift. Texas already takes funds from the AD and gives them to the General Fund to the tone of about $10 million. Politicians fired many shots across bows with the last realignment. The last thing the conferences/ADs/Presidents want are politicians stepping in a regulating.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Promotion/relegation is such an immensely stupid idea for college sports that I assume anyone who brings it up has absolutely no understanding of, well, anything. .

Relegation is from the EPL so is, by definition, un-American.

It's nonsense.

AMERICA.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
High population areas that don't give a rats arse about college sports. In other words....small college football markets that have little value.

You're missing the point of the B1G adding Rutgers and Maryland. They get paid when people subscribe to B1G Network. They want cable networks in New York City and Washington D.C. to add the B1G Network to one of their standard tiers. College sports aren't huge in those metros, but they are big enough for the B1G to achieve their goal. That's their model.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
His description is exactly what Cyclones.TV already is.

Except it is a single school with hardly any valuable content. Maybe you are not a proponent of single school networks you are just stating a fact but single school networks are not going to be very valuable going forward IMO, there is just not enough valuable content.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
You're missing the point of the B1G adding Rutgers and Maryland. They get paid when people subscribe to B1G Network. They want cable networks in New York City and Washington D.C. to add the B1G Network to one of their standard tiers. College sports aren't huge in those metros, but they are big enough for the B1G to achieve their goal. That's their model.

You are correct and then add up the Michigan, PSU, OSU and other B1G grads in NYC on top of Rutgers and it has given them the amount of interest among subscribers to get on the cable/satellite deals. It has given the B1G access to basic cable subscriptions in NYC, DC & Baltimore and it helped them get into Philadelphia as well. The Rutgers & Maryland additions have been a success financially. It also will help them be the dominant conference in the media rich northeast as well as they have added needed recruiting grounds for football.

http://adage.com/article/media/east-young-man-expansion-a-boon-big-ten-network/300748/

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Watching football this year, Rutgers and Maryland and PSU were pathetic. Maybe the Hoks can help them get some eyeballs. Yes, ther Hoks have to be one of the biggest draws on BTN by now. Just look at bball and wrestling and fball.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
What greener pastures? The SEC is the only conference paying out more money to their members than what OU receives. Do you think OU will go to the PAC 12 for less money or power? To the Big 10 for less money or power? They could have done that last time and didn't.

Your prediction of the death of the Big 12 is as just like the other predictions of the death of the Big 12...oh wait...the Big 12 hasn't died.

It is more likely that Clemson and FSU join the Big 12 after they realize how much less $$$ they will be getting from the ACC. Conferences with large membership and less revenue are far more vulnerable/unstable than conferences with fewer members and more revenue. Big 10 was very stable with 10/11 but there is already ******** with the uneven scheduling/divisions. SEC will always be stable because they have $$$$. PAC12 and ACC members are finding out they were sold crapola.

Your right it is a race or rather a contest who can hold out between the ACC or Big 12. The Big 12 will not be able to get FSU & Clemson to come based on our revenue difference alone between the Big 12 & ACC I don't believe unless ESPN decides to let the ACC crumble. The Big 12 based on 10 teams is doing better financially but don't forget ESPN could bump up the ACC contract if they desire because they don't start a conference network, again to what degree I'm not sure.

What may cause the ACC to crumble is the B1G's new tv deal if it nets 40-45 million a team and a continuing prosperous SEC. If you compare the difference of a B1G tv deal per team of 40-45million to any 2 or 4 out of Virginia, NC, Ga. Tech and Duke then that creates a decision by those ACC schools. You also know the SEC wants a Virginia and North Carolina school. After that happens the ACC is not sustainable for FSU & Clemson and that is when the Big 12 wins.

That is why if expansion is not needed(either for playoffs or due to OU's demands) and the Big 12 can keep their revenues high they are probably better off staying at 10 and adding the CCG even with a rematch.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You are correct and then add up the Michigan, PSU, OSU and other B1G grads in NYC on top of Rutgers and it has given them the amount of interest among subscribers to get on the cable/satellite deals. It has given the B1G access to basic cable subscriptions in NYC, DC & Baltimore and it helped them get into Philadelphia as well. The Rutgers & Maryland additions have been a success financially. It also will help them be the dominant conference in the media rich northeast as well as they have added needed recruiting grounds for football.

http://adage.com/article/media/east-young-man-expansion-a-boon-big-ten-network/300748/

Delany's vision for the B1G is to be a league all it's own (while competing with other leagues). The population centers it added are worth more to the B1G than just money...they add more prospective fans and more prospective students who come from families with average incomes higher than the other leagues that can afford higher tuition (if needed) and pad endowments.

This is where the Big XII has been totally clueless and probably doomed since the Big 8 decided it wasn't viable anymore. What is our league but a disjointed collection of schools that fit better in other leagues? While I don't think we'll end up there we belong in a league more like the B1G than with the Texas teams. And really, the Texas schools belong in a revived SWC with the OK schools.

The damage is done to the Big XII and it's on it's way out just like the Big 8.

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Delany's vision for the B1G is to be a league all it's own (while competing with other leagues). The population centers it added are worth more to the B1G than just money...they add more prospective fans and more prospective students who come from families with average incomes higher than the other leagues that can afford higher tuition (if needed) and pad endowments.

This is where the Big XII has been totally clueless and probably doomed since the Big 8 decided it wasn't viable anymore. What is our league but a disjointed collection of schools that fit better in other leagues? While I don't think we'll end up there we belong in a league more like the B1G than with the Texas teams. And really, the Texas schools belong in a revived SWC with the OK schools.

The damage is done to the Big XII and it's on it's way out just like the Big 8.

This.

tsirnickesqcy

Oct 13, 2013
Des Moines, IA

not to mention all the Big 10 schools in the Chicago area. 3rd largest market. Having lived here not many people care about Northwestern but the majority are alums of Big 10 schools.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agreed. Lots of hot air here. Pretty sure Delany knows what he's doing.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Except it is a single school with hardly any valuable content. Maybe you are not a proponent of single school networks you are just stating a fact but single school networks are not going to be very valuable going forward IMO, there is just not enough valuable content.

A Big XII network would have the same amount of valuable content to me as Cyclones.TV already does. I don't care about non-conference basketball games, second tier sports, or random features at Oklahoma State or Texas Tech, but I do care about them for ISU. I'd enjoy the likely better production values and the likely better media player. But other than that I don't see any value in a conference "netflix" type network that we don't already have. I wouldn't mind if it happened, but I don't see it as a gamechanger.

However, a conference TV network would not make me subscribe to cable.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Promotion/relegation is such an immensely stupid idea for college sports that I assume anyone who brings it up has absolutely no understanding of, well, anything. Like, 16 team conferences with "pods" are something I think is stupid, but is a legit idea that could be viable. But to say promotion/relegation is a non-starter is putting it mildly.

How do schools recruit if it can't tell recruits who they'll be playing, or where?
How do schools budget if TV income might drop by an order of magnitude at any time?
How would it work for other sports? Would they all follow football or would we end up in a different conference for each sport?
And so on.

First of all it is only a stupid idea if your school falls into group 2. For traditional powers like Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, etc. it could make a lot of financial sense. For example under the current financial model, ther is about $1.2B split annually among the 64 P5 teams. Going to 32 teams, each group1 team would increase their TV revenue from $20M annually to close to $40M. You can't tell me that wouldn't be attractive to traditional powers.

Movement between groups would only be 4-8 schools every couple years. My guess is Ohio State or Texas isn't going to be to worried about being at bottom if it means 80% of the time they are making twice what they are making under the current model. The current conference structure could easily stay in place for all other sports.

Being an ISU fan I would rather see TV money split evenly like the NFL model. But over recent history we have seen consolidation and greed drive economic organizations.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I have a few thoughts-

1. Straight from JPs mouth, we are at the height of an unsupportable and insolvent TV rights model. Given that trend, no way, no how does any network pay any conference $40M per school. The networks can't support these payouts, especially in the midst of an evolving viewership base. (ie. cord cutting = millions of viewers formerly subsidizing the cost of ESPN viewership no longer there. Cable subscription losses puts stress on ESPN ability to pass thru massive rates. Massive rate growth was underwritten and required to justify the conference payouts.) Heck, I'm an avid ESPN watcher and I'm even weighing the prospects of cutting the cord and watching ISU games at a bar instead.

2. The ESPN/Longhorn Network deal was purely a play by ESPN to stave off the Big 12 from cashing in on the next massive payout increase due. They drew a line in the sand and signaled to all conferences what the future would hold. For ESPN, the loss on the LHN is worth avoiding future long-term losses on Big12 and other future network increases continuing on the unsupportable growth trend. The Big 12 still made out well, but not as good as it "should" have.

3. I don't know what the future holds for conferences, but it will get interesting when ACC/SEC/& Big10 contracts come up.

Right now Iowa State is among the group ~(ISU, KSU, KU, WVU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Cincy, UConn, BYU, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and maybe a few others) who will likely battle for the final spots in an overarching 4 conference super-league.

Let's hope that our combination of academics, facilities, fanbase, and product on the field supports ISU making the unavoidable future dance.

That's my two cents-

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Agreed. Lots of hot air here. Pretty sure Delany knows what he's doing.

It works now under the current cable/satellite model. What happens when "ala carte" takes over? Schools like Rutgers and Maryland no longer are "valuable" to the Big 10 because then BTN cannot "force" (not that I'm convinced they're able to do so now) New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and Washington television subscribers to pay for a cable channel when nobody in those areas gives two ****s about Rutgers and Maryland.

The B1G model works now - it may not work a decade from now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I have a few thoughts-

1. Straight from JPs mouth, we are at the height of an unsupportable and insolvent TV rights model. Given that trend, no way, no how does any network pay any conference $40M per school. The networks can't support these payouts, especially in the midst of an evolving viewership base. (ie. cord cutting = millions of viewers formerly subsidizing the cost of ESPN viewership no longer there. Cable subscription losses puts stress on ESPN ability to pass thru massive rates. Massive rate growth was underwritten and required to justify the conference payouts.) Heck, I'm an avid ESPN watcher and I'm even weighing the prospects of cutting the cord and watching ISU games at a bar instead.

2. The ESPN/Longhorn Network deal was purely a play by ESPN to stave off the Big 12 from cashing in on the next massive payout increase due. They drew a line in the sand and signaled to all conferences what the future would hold. For ESPN, the loss on the LHN is worth avoiding future long-term losses on Big12 and other future network increases continuing on the unsupportable growth trend. The Big 12 still made out well, but not as good as it "should" have.

3. I don't know what the future holds for conferences, but it will get interesting when ACC/SEC/& Big10 contracts come up.

Right now Iowa State is among the group ~(ISU, KSU, KU, WVU, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Cincy, UConn, BYU, Wake Forest, Syracuse, and maybe a few others) who will likely battle for the final spots in an overarching 4 conference super-league.

Let's hope that our combination of academics, facilities, fanbase, and product on the field supports ISU making the unavoidable future dance.

That's my two cents-

This person "gets it". And honestly I think ISU is in pretty good shape.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron