NA Beers that dont taste like monkey butt

CycoT

Sep 18, 2009
Ames
I did my first dive into the NA world this January. Sam Adams Just the Haze was so tasty I've added it to my normal fridge stock. Athletic Brewing was decent as well, though some fell flat in taste imo (particularly the Golden Ale).

Apr 22, 2023
Don't know if BrewDog distributes in Iowa, but they have craft beer tasting NA brews. Many variations of their IPAs. Very good.

1709048216615.png

JohnnyAppleseed

Nov 30, 2008
Blue Moon recently came out with an NA and it's pretty good. My girlfriend enjoyed it as it has a "juice" taste to it.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I've had a few local NA's from breweries in Minneapolis. They've all scratched the itch for me at least. All of these breweries are making their own THC seltzers, too. All good stuff.

Bauhaus "Nah" - two varieties - a light helles style and a guava sour
Indeed has a couple of options that I liked as well
Fair State has a great lager

Reactions: CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I've had a few local NA's from breweries in Minneapolis. They've all scratched the itch for me at least. All of these breweries are making their own THC seltzers, too. All good stuff.

Bauhaus "Nah" - two varieties - a light helles style and a guava sour
Indeed has a couple of options that I liked as well
Fair State has a great lager
Yeah a few breweries around here have good NA options. I drink NA beers when I am wanting a beer but not wanting to have alcohol. I usually try to avoid drinking during the week but sometimes a beer sounds good so I always have a few NAs around to have occasionally to scratch the itch. And on the weekends I'll have an NA mixed in with normal beers just to avoid some alcohol.

• Agree
Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I've never had hop water, curious to how it compares to a generic beer?

Also curious if anyone has tried the actual brand 'Hop Wtr' and their various flavors?

Confluence's Hop Water gives me the IPA fix (the hops, mostly) without the alcohol.

I have not tried the Hop Wtr brand.

I liked the Athletic Brew NA beverages while I was pregnant.

• Informative
Reactions: Billups06

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Athletic Brewing makes some pretty tasty ones

I do the subscription. It's not much cheaper (if any) than Hy-Vee but a lot more convenient. Their IPAs are very good.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Can you find any of these at hy-vee? Or do you need to order online?

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
So which ones are the best ones from Athletic to get? A little background, I don't drink and never have but do enjoy an NA every now and then. I did not like Odouls and thought Kaliber wasn't bad but I would like to try more NAs and really don't have a preference besides being non-skunky.

In other words, I'm a newbie beer drinker but don't drink alcohol.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Exactly.

I use NA beer in a ton of situations even though I also drink alcohol. I generally don't drink on week days, but don't want to go 4-5 days without beer. NA hits the spot. When I'm working long days in the field I like to wind down at night and sometimes even a little alcohol can effect my sleep and in those moments, I need the best sleep I can get. NA helps me get that wind down and has no effect on my sleep. I like to sip on a beer when going for a drive, but if I get pulled over, I'm getting a ticket. Not with an NA. If I'm in a situation where I'm drinking beer over the course of a day, and want to maintain a low level of buzz, I alternate real beer for NA beer.

NA beer isn't just for people who never drink.

I've in the minority, but I could do 100% without alcohol. If I could buy beer that tastes the exact same, exact same mouthfeel, exact same everything, I would do it every time. Athletic Beers are good for NA beer, and decent by beer standards, but aren't quite to your top-tier beers.

Then again, I drink a lot of decaf coffee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: BigTurk

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So which ones are the best ones from Athletic to get? A little background, I don't drink and never have but do enjoy an NA every now and then. I did not like Odouls and thought Kaliber wasn't bad but I would like to try more NAs and really don't have a preference besides being non-skunky.

In other words, I'm a newbie beer drinker but don't drink alcohol.
Do what us drinkers do and just try them out.

You probably have little frame of reference for the taste of hops since they're really only used in beer, so you might want to scale up to the IPA type options. A stout, hefeweizen, or gose from Athletic (they make good versions of all) would all have a flavor profile closer to things you've likely consumed.

Reactions: g4ce

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've in the minority, but I could do 100% without alcohol. If I could buy beer that tastes the exact same, exact same mouthfeel, exact same everything, I would do it every time. Athletic Beers are good for NA beer, and decent by beer standards, but aren't quite to your top-tier beers.

Then again, I drink a lot of decaf coffee ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think the NA beer is close enough at this point to what you're describing. I do enjoy the effects of alcohol to a certain extent and in certain settings, so when I'm in that mood I reach for real beer.

But I also enjoy the taste of beer enough that it's something I want when I'm either trying to avoid the effects of alcohol or can't be under them.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
If you're trying to cut back or quit drinking, I really like Liquid Death carbonated water. It's expensive, sure, but the carbonation is spot on of what beer is and that's really what I like.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you're trying to cut back or quit drinking, I really like Liquid Death carbonated water. It's expensive, sure, but the carbonation is spot on of what beer is and that's really what I like.
I find every other carbonated water providing this. Liquid Death is overpriced as hell just because a bunch of comedians regularly feature it on their podcasts.

It's good. It's not really any different than the knock off Wal Mart brand carbonated water. IMO.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I find every other carbonated water providing this. Liquid Death is overpriced as hell just because a bunch of comedians regularly feature it on their podcasts.

It's good. It's not really any different than the knock off Wal Mart brand carbonated water. IMO.
Price is actually dropping now that they're out of Whole Foods and into Target. Just got back from Nashville, it was the only water the musicians would drink on stage. Not sure if that's a promotional thing LD does, but I was really surprised to see it. Either way, once I tried the Berry and Mango flavors, I was hooked. Now I'm looking into SodaStream machines though to save some money.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Price is actually dropping now that they're out of Whole Foods and into Target. Just got back from Nashville, it was the only water the musicians would drink on stage. Not sure if that's a promotional thing LD does, but I was really surprised to see it. Either way, once I tried the Berry and Mango flavors, I was hooked. Now I'm looking into SodaStream machines though to save some money.
Those are legit. We had one and I loved it. The only reason we quit using it is I live way up in NEIA and the Decorah Wal Mart is the only place within 20 miles that restocks the air cartridge and while I'm in Decorah pretty much every week, I just don't want to go to Wal Mart for the refill.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron