• Vette, Clayton

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I am REALLY surprised Lucca has more than Brackins...I think they will both be playing quite a bit, maybe they both might start, but Brackins is ready to play right away more than any other newcomer. I'd be really surprised is Lucca started and Brackins did not.

MY starters would be:
PG Diante Garrett
SG Lucca Staiger, Charles Boozer, Marcus Brister, Sean Haluska (can't make up my mind here yet)
SF Wesley Johnson
PF Craig Brackins
C Jiri Hubalek

6th Man of the Year: Rahshon Clark

I'm not. It's a lot easier to develop a 2 or 3 man than a 5 man...case in point ISU's big man the last couple years

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I am REALLY surprised Lucca has more than Brackins...I think they will both be playing quite a bit, maybe they both might start, but Brackins is ready to play right away more than any other newcomer. I'd be really surprised is Lucca started and Brackins did not.

MY starters would be:
PG Diante Garrett
SG Lucca Staiger, Charles Boozer, Marcus Brister, Sean Haluska (can't make up my mind here yet)
SF Wesley Johnson
PF Craig Brackins
C Jiri Hubalek

6th Man of the Year: Rahshon Clark

I think lucca only has more than brackins because he is a shooting guard and that spot is completely wide open. I would like to see brackins start and have 2 true post players but i find it hard to believe we will bench rashon (which i think he should be) who is a three year starter. I have nothing against rashon I think we just have better players now

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Love the new avatar mjones!

I have no idea what to expect from the starting 5. I know Haluska is going to see a lot more minutes than most expect (or want) him to.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I think we are a "lights-out" outside shooter away from being a bubble team for the big dance. That got me thinking...who is the last guy we had that we could say this about?? Do we have to go back to Mike Nurse or Jake Sullivan? We certainly didn't have one in Stinson/Blaylock.

I think our post players are good enough to be able to get teams to collapse on, which should get us open shots on the perimeter. Who is gonna knock them down? (Hint, hint, Staiger)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Lucca is as ready to start as any freshman we have. He can handle the ball, shoot it, and imo is the best passer on the team. He also is 6'5" 220. The guy has the most big 12 ready body on the team.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
My top 5:

PG Cameron Lee
SG Brock Jacobson
SF Mark Currie
PF Cory Johnson
C Clayton Vette

:jiggy:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm honestly worried about Garret. The kid has raw talent that is amazing and is really quick, but he has no muscle and will get pushed around. Hopefully, McD utilizes his strengths so his lack of body size until he gets into heavy lifting. Curtis and Will were so effective because they were really strong and could shield others away while controlling the ball. Maybe Garret's quickness can make up for his strength. I just hope he gets both soon!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm honestly worried about Garret. The kid has raw talent that is amazing and is really quick, but he has no muscle and will get pushed around. Hopefully, McD utilizes his strengths so his lack of body size until he gets into heavy lifting. Curtis and Will were so effective because they were really strong and could shield others away while controlling the ball. Maybe Garret's quickness can make up for his strength. I just hope he gets both soon!

Good point... Anyone else see opposing teams spreading the floor and posting up their guards against Garret?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

I'm worried, too, but hopeful that he doesn't get manhandled a la McIntosh. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Augustin from Texas was no Mr. Atlas either as a freshman.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny

Garrett's got 20 pounds on McIntosh (180# vs. 160#). He may struggle, but he won't be pushed around as much as CMAC was last year.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
That's why I think Thompson is going to be starting in the frontcourt with Jiri to start the season anyway.
That's where I came down on this, too. Thompson has been in the system for a year, so he should know it very well, whereas Brackins has a lot to learn. But eventually, I think Brackins will be starting every game, taking either Hubalek or Thompson's spot.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Garrett's got 20 pounds on McIntosh (180# vs. 160#). He may struggle, but he won't be pushed around as much as CMAC was last year.
Garrett is ultra-skinny. I don't know if we've had a skinnier player. However, he is also ultra-quick with an excellent handle, which offsets the bulk problem. Defenders will have to play off him in order to not get burned. With McIntosh, defenders could be right in his jock because he didn't have the quickness and handle.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
I won't be surprised if Bryan Petersen begins the year as the starting point guard. GMac said as much in an interview a while ago.

If Cory Johnson can improve his defense he will be getting a lot of playing time. He shot 53% from the field last year (9% higher than any other player), is the only returnee with a positive assist/turnover ratio and gets to the line a lot (more free throws per minute of playing time than any other player).

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
I think we are a "lights-out" outside shooter away from being a bubble team for the big dance. That got me thinking...who is the last guy we had that we could say this about?? Do we have to go back to Mike Nurse or Jake Sullivan? We certainly didn't have one in Stinson/Blaylock.QUOTE]
Jake Sullivan.

Otherwise . . .
Powers . . . never mind.
Adam Halus . . . never mind.
Brock Jaco . . . never mind.
Mike Tayl . . . never mind.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
It might be fun to have a poll on who you think the starting 5 will be at the END of the season (the sweet 16 game, of course).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
With all of the youth on the team, I don't really consider this an NCAA year... so I'd like to see a starting lineup of Garrett, Staiger, Wesley, Brackins, and Jiri and build for the future redshirting Vette. But honestly I just want to see them competitive and I trust the coaches know what's best for the team and will put us in the best position to win.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron