NCAA Seeding Discussion

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The difference is Julian and David are going to be VERY IDENTICAL on the matrix and David has 3 top 3 and 2 finalist experiences to his resume. Yonger has a significant matrix advantage over Kerk so it’s not the same at all
What a person did prior to this year has no impact, or so it is said, to seeding. David could be a 3 time champ and still be behind Ramirez this year because Ramirez has a win against him.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
They're both 29-3

Ramirez loses in the matrix to O'toole, Messenbrink, Olejnik

Carr loses in the matrix to O'toole, Messenbrink, Ramirez

Ramirez has h2h in matrix (mostly due to his h2h win at CKLV)
Is this the correct matrix below?

Head-to-Head (25%): Ramirez
--Quality Wins (20%): David - this one I’m not sure but just my best guess
--Coaches Ranking (15%): David
--Common Opponents (10%): David
--RPI (10%): David
--Qualifying Event Placement (10%): Ramirez
--Win % (10%): David

If this is correct, I have Ramirez at 35 to David’s 65.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
I really don't think David gets screwed here on seeding.
David's quality wins: Izzak Olejnik, Peyton Hall x2, Dean Hamiti, Michael Caliendo, Cam Amine
Quality losses: O'toole and Ramirez.
Ramirez Quality wins: David Carr
Quality losses: O'toole and Izzak Olejnik.

David SHOULD get the 3 seed and I THINK he will
Do they take into account quality ducks?
Carr: none
Ramirez: Carr

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I really don't think David gets screwed here on seeding.
David's quality wins: Izzak Olejnik, Peyton Hall x2, Dean Hamiti, Michael Caliendo, Cam Amine
Quality losses: O'toole and Ramirez.
Ramirez Quality wins: David Carr
Quality losses: O'toole and Izzak Olejnik.

David SHOULD get the 3 seed and I THINK he will
If adjustments can be made I think they split the big 12 and big ten finalists so they can determine everything on the mat. Putting rematches together of who could potentially be the top 2 (since the 4 didn’t wrestle the other conference big guns) in the semis doesn’t seem right.

Reactions: ca4cy

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
“So this sets a baseline for the seeding committee but is not always final. According to Stanford head coach Jason Borrelli in his interview on FRL 18, a wrestler can only be argued up or down if he is within three points of the other wrestler. This allows some level of subjectivity and might catch things the formula could miss.”

How Does The NCAA Seeding Process Work?​

Mar 07, 2018Wrestling Nomad

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Is this the correct matrix below?

Head-to-Head (25%): Ramirez
--Quality Wins (20%): David - this one I’m not sure but just my best guess
--Coaches Ranking (15%): David
--Common Opponents (10%): David
--RPI (10%): David
--Qualifying Event Placement (10%): Ramirez
--Win % (10%): David

If this is correct, I have Ramirez at 35 to David’s 65.
David has RPI, coaches ranking, quality wins, and common opponents- Izzak. That’s plenty of points here which is what Ive been saying

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
We will soon find out but the head to head win isn’t the only criteria. David has a great resume this year still with his quality wins keeping his coaches ranking and RPI higher and win percentage

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Ducking should be penalized in all instances.
They took MFF into consideration and made changes. I love that the wrestling committee has been open to changing rules that make the sport better and do away with cheating (or things that make our sport less great and entertaining). I bet this gets brought up and hopefully changed in the near future.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
They took MFF into consideration and made changes. I love that the wrestling committee has been open to changing rules that make the sport better and do away with cheating (or things that make our sport less great and entertaining). I bet this gets brought up and hopefully changed in the near future.
I am to the point that even if it is a legit injury/MFF there should be consequences. Injuries happen and impact every other sport.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
They're both 29-3

Ramirez loses in the matrix to O'toole, Messenbrink, Olejnik

Carr loses in the matrix to O'toole, Messenbrink, Ramirez

Ramirez has h2h in matrix (mostly due to his h2h win at CKLV)
I ran some numbers at lunch and according to my matrix calculations:
  1. O'Toole (32-0)
  2. Messenbrink (31-1)
  3. Carr (30-2) - loses to O'Toole and Messenbrink (Carr only loses to Ramirez in matrix if the coaches rank Ramirez in front of him. I don't see them jumping Ramirez over Carr.)
  4. Hamiti (29-3) - loses to O'Toole, Messenbrink, and Carr
  5. Ramirez (27-5) - loses to O'Toole, Messenbrink, Carr, Hamiti, and Oljejnik (Ramirez only loses to Olejnik if Olejnik's RPI is higher. They are extremely close. Wrestlestat has .688 for Olejnik and .684 for Ramirez, but they have been off and apparently aren't calculating the same as the published RPI. Olejnik was higher in the published RPI)
  6. Caliendo (27-5) - loses to O'Toole, Messenbrink, Carr, Hamiti, and Ramirez
  7. Olejnkik (27-5) - loses to O'Toole, Messenbrink, Carr, Hamiti, and Caliendo
  8. Hall (25-7) - losses to everyone above
Guess we'll see who interprets the NCAA cryptic calcs correctly.