NCAA Tourney Spreads Challenge

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Hello friends, gonna try something new this year and with the berth of this forum, I figured this was the best place to put it. It's a little bit confusing, and I'm sure I'm not doing it right so just going to do a $5 buy in. If interested, PM me to get the link and I'll send you my venmo as well.

It is a NCAA tourney bracket but you pick the winner against the spread as opposed to just the game. If you pick the correct winner, that game will move on to the next round. If you pick wrong, you can't pick either of those teams for the rest of the tournament. For the second round, if you picked both spreads right of the first round matchup, you can pick whichever team you want against the spread in the second round. However, if you only picked one correct game from the first round, you have to take that team in the next round.

So for example. Baylor is a 26 point favorite vs Hartford, UNC is a 2 point favorite vs Wisconsin. You take Hartford to cover +26 and Wisconsin to cover +2. Baylor wins but Hartford covers, and Wisconsin wins so they cover. The next round you can pick either Baylor or Wisconsin against the spread. Let's say Hartford covers but UNC wins by 5 so Wisconsin covers. The next round, you have to take Baylor to cover. Let's say neither team covers, sorry pal. You can't pick either of those teams for the rest of the tournament.

I stumbled across the idea online and it sounds fun so figured I'd try this year. If you've done something like it, and I'm doing something wrong, please feel free to let me know. Otherwise PM if you're interested!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Sounds like you're going to end up finishing the tournament after the second round or so. Most people will have so few teams remaining in the sweet sixteen that I don't see that mattering much.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Sounds like you're going to end up finishing the tournament after the second round or so. Most people will have so few teams remaining in the sweet sixteen that I don't see that mattering much.
You should expect to have 6 teams in the Sweet 16 at 50% chance at getting lines right.

32 games in 1st round, get 16 right.

16 games in 2nd round, although you should expect to only be able to pick 12 of those games given your prior wrong choices. You'll get 6 of those 12 games right.

In Sweet 16 there are 8 games, you can expect to be able to pick about 4 of those. Get 2 for 4.

All things considered, winner will probably have about 30 or so correct games while average will be around 22 probably.

Action Fanatics

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron