***NCAA Wrestling Championships (Thu.-Sat.)***

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Makes me sick that Carr isn’t out there.
Wrestlers take losses. Wish Carr would get a couple before this tournament. It worked well for guys like Shane Griffith and Ridge Lovett. This tournament is tough and one mistake can see you on the backside. Two and your out. Carr did great wresting to 3rd and logging a ton of matches on the way.

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
10th is a pretty arbitrary cutoff. An 11 seed for example would be favored in at least 1 match as opposed to a 27 seed who wouldn’t be favored.

Here is the thing about NCAA wrestling tournament. You get all your points from AAs. Guys winning one match is fun and all, but they don’t score you many points. All of those 9 matches won by the UNI low seeds scored less than Bastida.

You want to be a top 10, or a trophy team. You need 4-5 high AAs. Not 7 guys winning 1 match. PSU continues to show us this again and again. Their 5 in the finals are in 1st place all by themselves.

That’s why I have high hopes for next year. If our 3 AAs can increase their total from the 37.5 they scored to say 40, and ISU can plug in one more American (Maybe Swiderski, Terukina, or a transfer). They’d be at roughly 40 points. That’d put them about 8th. One more guy.
Your points are all very good ones. But I wasn't looking at team scoring as much as individual success within the squad, and trying to use some objective measure of how competitive we are, top to bottom. But yes, a 10 seed cutoff is very, very arbitrary. But I very much appreciate your points, especially how small changes could move the team scoring, and thus team ranking, substantially. In other words, we are not that far off.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Wrestlers take losses. Wish Carr would get a couple before this tournament. It worked well for guys like Shane Griffith and Ridge Lovett. This tournament is tough and one mistake can see you on the backside. Two and your out. Carr did great wresting to 3rd and logging a ton of matches on the way.
I know all that and agree. He should be out there this evening.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Yeah he really bellied out there at the end. Princeton has a chance at 157. I think Deakins quite a bit better but nerves are a real thing and all the pressure will be on Deakin.
Was really hoping to see David get another crack at Deakin. Deakin is a monster for 157.

Help Support Us

Become a patron