NCAA Wrestling Tournament (Thursday-Saturday)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Six Cyclones have qualified and will be wrestling in New York
125: Kyle Larson (unseeded)
133: Earl Hall (#8 seed)
165: Tanner Weatherman (#9 seed)
174: Lelund Weatherspoon (unseeded)
184: Dane Pestano (unseeded)
197: Pat Downey (unseeded)

ISU's release (.pdf)

Here's a link to a full list of qualifiers and information for when each session is and how to watch. All matches, all mats will be streamed on ESPN3. ESPNU will also cover some mats for each session and the finals will be on ESPN.

Got a mix of good and bad draws. The best compared to expectations is probably Larson and the worst is Weatherspoon.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Apparently Cabell from UNI is out due to an illness. I wonder if it is too late for an alternate? I know they select two at each weight and at least at HWT they probably don't have to worry about weight control. Either way the brackets will have to be redraw since he was seeded.

Sucks for Cabell. Especially as a senior.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Copying this here for reference

SESSIONDATETIMECHANNEL
1Thursday, March 17th12 p.m. EDTESPNU (some mats), ESPN3 (all mats)
2Thursday, March 17th7 p.m. EDTESPNU (some mats), ESPN3 (all mats)
3 (quarterfinals)
Friday, March 18th11 a.m. EDTESPNU (some mats), ESPN3 (all mats)
4 (semifinals)
Friday, March 18th8 p.m EDTESPNU (Semifinals), ESPN (all mats)
Saturday, March 19th11 a.m. EDTESPNU (some mats), ESPN3 (all mats)
6 (finals)
Saturday, March 19th11 a.m. EDTESPN

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Apparently they aren't redrawing the bracket. That's gonna be some extra points fora few guys

First Joseph Goodhart from Drexel will get a free win. Assuming they count it as a forfeit that'll be 3 team points.

Then Tanner Hall from Arizona State (assuming no upset of Walz) will get a free win on the backside, against, assuming it counts as a forfeit that's a 2.5 bonus for ASU.

Then Walz will get a much easier match in the second round, against Goodhart instead of Cabel. He'd probably beat Cabel, but that is probably now a major or pin instead of a decision. That's extra points for VT which could end up mattering in the team race.

Then the winner of the backside match that feeds in to where the loser of that match drops (probably Shaw of Cleveland State) gets a match against an unranked Goodhart instead of a ranked Cabel.

Then, in the last step of the chain. Whoever wins between Sam Stoll of Iowa and Ross Larson of Oklahoma will get a barely ranked Shaw to go to the R12 instead of a decently ranked and dangerous Cabel.

Also a good reminder of how an upset can totally screw up the bracket. This one default could end up mattering in the team race and have a non-trivial impact on who AAs at heavyweight. Given that Stoll has a bum knee this could give Oklahoma an extra AA.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Mumps? I didn't think people got those. I got vaccinated for them.

Had em in college and pretty sure I had the vaccination. Was dead tired and dragging *** for a week. Could barely stand up without almost dozing off so I can't imagine being able to wrestle.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Cabell does have mumps. Confirmed but no link.

If the over/under for ISU AA's is 1.5, who would take the over? For everything Tanner has done, I sure hope he can go out with a good tournament. Hard telling what Hall will do. Downey is the only other one with a chance IMO.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado

If the over/under for ISU AA's is 1.5, who would take the over? For everything Tanner has done, I sure hope he can go out with a good tournament. Hard telling what Hall will do. Downey is the only other one with a chance IMO.

I'm taking the over. Go clones!

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Love Kyle and Dane but no. Lelund could go on a nice run but his **** draw makes things way more difficult than they should be. Tanner and Earl seem like our best chances but I can't help but think Downey is gonna surprise a lot of people. I'll cautiously take the over but won't be surprised if we wind up with none. Excited to find out and can't wait to cheer on our guys. GO STATE!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Love Kyle and Dane but no. Lelund could go on a nice run but his **** draw makes things way more difficult than they should be. Tanner and Earl seem like our best chances but I can't help but think Downey is gonna surprise a lot of people. I'll cautiously take the over but won't be surprised if we wind up with none. Excited to find out and can't wait to cheer on our guys. GO STATE!

With the way the draws went I actually have Kyle and Dane as more likely to win a match or two than Lelund. Lelund is going to need an upset to not go 0-2.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron