NCAA Wrestling Tournament (Thursday-Saturday)

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
What is the lineup next year looking like? Does it include Gabe and Dante?

Not sure it could include both unless one made the jump to 157, which could make sense honestly. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully things go according to plan weight-wise next season.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
That is one of the big questions. Both have injuries that are of a concern, especially gabe, so it's more a waiting game than anything.

Has anybody heard about any guys moving weights? We heard PD mention 84. Would Dane or spoon look to drop with goose out? We seem to recruit several 125s who constantly outgrow it. Nice to have Larson there to have a solid wrestler to depend on, but he's on his last go around now.

I've also asked if somebody would drop down in weight to allow Pestano back into the lineup. It would be nice to mix him in being a returning national qualifier and all.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I've also asked if somebody would drop down in weight to allow Pestano back into the lineup. It would be nice to mix him in being a returning national qualifier and all.

If Lelund and Pestano can both drop a weight that would be ideal, Pestano seemed small for 184 but Lelund was a pretty big 174 pounder this year.

If they can't drop down and you have to choose where to put Downey I gotta think there is more upside out of Harrington. If Downey can make the cut to 184 and be effective then Downey-Harrington is a more potent lineup than Pestano-Downey. Right now Downey is probably a pre-season top 5 at either weight. Harrington didn't have the most impressive record in his shortened season but every single one of his losses was to an NCAA qualifier (Though to be fair to Dane most of his losses were also to qualifiers, I just see him as being closer to his ceiling than Harrington).

If Downey can't effectively get down to 184 then I think you have to seriously consider bumping Harrington up to HWT, since Downey has 2 years left.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Earl is applying for another year. That what was said at NCAA social

I hope he gets it, he was really screwed out of his first year and I think that spending a year or two at the Olympic Training Center is a much more understood process now than it was even a few years ago when Earl was there.

I wonder what that does to the lineup though. Does Hall move to 141? Does Simmons? Is Simmons okay with sitting an extra season on the bench if he doesn't move up?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
For anybody who doesn't remember from a few years ago, Hall lost a year of eligibility because he spent 2 years at the Olympic Training Center after high school and the NCAA decided those counted for his redshirt and freshman year. Somebody can correct me if I"m remembering wrong but I believe they said it counted because he competed in some competitions that had age as a determining factor for eligibility.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I hope he gets it, he was really screwed out of his first year and I think that spending a year or two at the Olympic Training Center is a much more understood process now than it was even a few years ago when Earl was there.

I wonder what that does to the lineup though. Does Hall move to 141? Does Simmons? Is Simmons okay with sitting an extra season on the bench if he doesn't move up?

Agree with the bolded.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Have no idea what Hall's chances of getting another year are and I don't have much faith in the NCAA but 133 clears out a decent amount. Its been stacked the past two years. Lose Garrett, Brewer, Conaway,and Beckman, who have all beaten Earl before. Returns Clark, Richards, Taylor, Dicamillo and Montoya. Earl hasn't been able to beat CLark but I think he could beat anyone else.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought he had enrolled in Rutgers and then went to the OTC. I think since he enrolled, they started the clock then and those two years were his redshirt and Fr years.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I thought he had enrolled in Rutgers and then went to the OTC. I think since he enrolled, they started the clock then and those two years were his redshirt and Fr years.

I know he initially committed to Rutgers but I can't find anything online about whether or not he actually enrolled. Best I can find is that his name is not on the roster in the 2011-12 Rutgers wrestling media guide. But that would make sense. Hope the NCAA makes a decision soon. Anybody know what the timeline is for this type of appeal?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know he initially committed to Rutgers but I can't find anything online about whether or not he actually enrolled. Best I can find is that his name is not on the roster in the 2011-12 Rutgers wrestling media guide. But that would make sense. Hope the NCAA makes a decision soon. Anybody know what the timeline is for this type of appeal?

I don't think he ever attended a class there or set foot on campus when classes started. I was thinking they punished him since he enrolled.

I think the clock should start when you actually are attending class and can nolonger drop with punishment. Basically after one full week of classes.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

I'd say Jan 2017 would be about right for a negative ruling from the NCAA on the matter.

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
From what I had heard, Hall had taken a class while he was at the OTC. Because he took a class or was enrolled in a class his eligibility clock had started.

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
As far as exceeding expectations I'm not really following. This year sure. But last year was a total disaster with the exception of KG.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
As far as exceeding expectations I'm not really following. This year sure. But last year was a total disaster with the exception of KG.

Wasn't last year the first year that we had wrestlers at the NCAA tournament really under-perform? Jackson has a decent track record with having the guys peaking in March.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Have no idea what Hall's chances of getting another year are and I don't have much faith in the NCAA but 133 clears out a decent amount. Its been stacked the past two years. Lose Garrett, Brewer, Conaway,and Beckman, who have all beaten Earl before. Returns Clark, Richards, Taylor, Dicamillo and Montoya. Earl hasn't been able to beat CLark but I think he could beat anyone else.

I watched Earl wrestle several times and appeared to be undersized at 133. I thought that he might go down to 125 this year after Boston could not make the weight and make a run at a title. Maybe the cut is more than I think, but in the small chance that he gets another year I hope he considers 125 and is a serious contender either way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron