NCAA Wrestling Tournament (Thursday-Saturday)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think Iowa actually lost a team point because of Brands being Brands during a match, and that ended up pushing them down to 5th place rather than 4th, since VT only beat them by one point.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I think Iowa actually lost a team point because of Brands being Brands during a match, and that ended up pushing them down to 5th place rather than 4th, since VT only beat them by one point.

This makes me happy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Braschetta lost a point for VT, so it evens out. Track said there were 2 control issues for Iowa. Very funny that iowa lost hardware due to acting like buffoons

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

Most coaches would have lost their minds in that scenario. Brooks was a half second away from a pin after a headlock and the #2 ref came running in and stopped the match for an illegal hold. The lead ref looked shocked. They went to the monitor and it showed it was completely legal.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
12th place is a pretty darn good showing for what we had going into the tournament. How many years can you expect to take 12th with only 6 wrestlers, 4 of whom are unseeded, and the others only seeded #8 and #9? You might argue that they under performed during the year but that's a pretty good showing.

What happened to Minnesota this year? Did they red-shirt a bunch of new guys?

They graduated a ton of seniors last year. You may recall they were the favorites going into last season and finished something like 8th. They do have some good redshirts but they are a long way from competing for the title.

Also, Ilinois also brought 6. They scored 15 more points than we did.

Last edited:

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
They graduated a ton of seniors last year. You may recall they were the favorites going into last season and finished something like 8th. They do have some good redshirts but they are a long way from competing for the title.

Also, Ilinois also brought 6. They scored 15 more points than we did.

Martinez won a title. That's a lot of those 15 points.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Most coaches would have lost their minds in that scenario. Brooks was a half second away from a pin after a headlock and the #2 ref came running in and stopped the match for an illegal hold. The lead ref looked shocked. They went to the monitor and it showed it was completely legal.

Coaches are allowed to lose their cool once with no ramifications. Having a pointed deducted means it happened twice. What was the other occurrence?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
So how mad are the trolls that we did, in fact, peak in March and salvage the season? We even got a whole day before the complaining started.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Braschetta lost a point for VT, so it evens out. Track said there were 2 control issues for Iowa. Very funny that iowa lost hardware due to acting like buffoons

Where are you looking in track to see that info? I tried looking earlier and couldn't find anything. If it's something available to paid accounts only then whatever, but if it's open in the free area let me know.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where are you looking in track to see that info? I tried looking earlier and couldn't find anything. If it's something available to paid accounts only then whatever, but if it's open in the free area let me know.

Go into the team standings and click on the team scores (I.e. Click on the 35 for isu and it will tell you how those points were earned).

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
So how mad are the trolls that we did, in fact, peak in March and salvage the season? We even got a whole day before the complaining started.

No reason to be mad about it. One of the things I appreciate about the KJ era is that we are generally at our best at the end of the year. My beef is, and has always been, that our best isn't good enough.

I would think/hope that no one would be pleased or impressed with a run of 20-35-11-12-14-12 over the last 6 NCAA tournaments especially with the head coach proclaiming the program is now "built."

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
I don't get your point. So his points count? Did we not count Kyven's points last year?

The point is that those are indeed a big chunk of why they finished ahead of us. Why does Illinois matter? We did well and exceeded expectations no matter who finished above us.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I don't understand why you guys give this guy the attention. He's like a kid with oppositional defiant disorder: they only want attention and tend to disappear when they don't get the negative attention they desire.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
It was in reply to a post about how great the team did with only 6 qualifiers.

I don't see how you're doing anything but just stirring the pot here. Look at who we brought to the tourney. I don't think we did anything BUT exceed anyone's expectations from a team standpoint. Nobody is acting like we won nationals we are happy with seeing positives at the end of the year....But of course year after year there will be people that come back to CF and take a leak in everyone's Cheerios.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I don't understand why you guys give this guy the attention. He's like a kid with oppositional defiant disorder: they only want attention and tend to disappear when they don't get the negative attention they desire.

I would like to think that though I don't have the most popular opinion that others can at least appreciate a spirited debate. I know that I do.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I don't see how you're doing anything but just stirring the pot here. Look at who we brought to the tourney. I don't think we did anything BUT exceed anyone's expectations from a team standpoint. Nobody is acting like we won nationals we are happy with seeing positives at the end of the year....But of course year after year there will be people that come back to CF and take a leak in everyone's Cheerios.

No doubt our guys did well this weekend. Loved the efforts from Downey and Spoon in particular. There are always those bright spots and bright moments each year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron