Nebraska sux

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Today on Omaha sports radio, the two hosts were discussing how much more appealing Nebraska is than ISU. 5 National titles, 3 Heisman winners, every game a sellout, B1G, automatically get better recruits. This is how their fans think, we are the Huskers, we matter, we are relevant, football needs us, we can have any coach we want. Until they can get over themselves, I can't imagine them coming back, and they will never get over themselves.
Even Lincoln isn't THAT delusional. Just my opinion, but the glory days BS has always been a bigger issue in Omaha than in Lincoln. Hell, I'm just glad I don't have to hear that ******* "Frosty the Coachman" song anymore.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Me, who is part Nebraska fan, even finds this stuff crap...

5 National Titles - All 90's and prior, none in this millennium
3 Heismans - None since 2001
Sellouts streak - thing is a sham at this points, even some husker fans don't acknowledge it
B1G - better for money but that is about it
Better recruits - a well developed 3 star is better than a lazy 4/5 star (see Texas) so this point is poo

As much as I would like to see Aranda at Nebraska, it is not worth the move from his current spot at Baylor unfortunately

I've said it in other threads but Nebraska is Iowa with a sh*tty record. Whomever is on Barta's current call list...that's who UNL can hope to get. I'll leave it to the resident Hawks and the board at large to throw out names. I'll say Jim Leonhard.

Who knows, maybe Dave Aranda would move to Iowa City. But Rapelor would match UI's salary offer and recruiting is pretty easy for Aranda to do from Waco. And I don't think his chances to make the playoff improve with a move to Iowa, nor would the facilities be an upgrade.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I listened to Omaha sports on 590 a bit yesterday, they're positive that the Nebraska NIL program will save them.
NIL isn't going to impact football like it has/will hoops. Development in college is key and despite NIL money getting thrown around, a lot of kids are going to forego it to put themselves in a better position to develop.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Me, who is part Nebraska fan, even finds this stuff crap...

5 National Titles - All 90's and prior, none in this millennium
3 Heismans - None since 2001
Sellouts streak - thing is a sham at this points, even some husker fans don't acknowledge it
B1G - better for money but that is about it
Better recruits - a well developed 3 star is better than a lazy 4/5 star (see Texas) so this point is poo

As much as I would like to see Aranda at Nebraska, it is not worth the move from his current spot at Baylor unfortunately
Why would he want to move further away from Chip and Joanna?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I've said it in other threads but Nebraska is Iowa with a sh*tty record. Whomever is on Barta's current call list...that's who UNL can hope to get. I'll leave it to the resident Hawks and the board at large to throw out names. I'll say Jim Leonhard.

Who knows, maybe Dave Aranda would move to Iowa City. But Rapelor would match UI's salary offer and recruiting is pretty easy for Aranda to do from Waco. And I don't think his chances to make the playoff improve with a move to Iowa, nor would the facilities be an upgrade.

Barta's call list probably depends on what year he makes the call but if KF had a stroke and had to retire immediately I think this would be Barta's next moves:

1) He'd ask Phil Parker if he wanted the job. I'd be stunned if Parker hasn't been approached for head coaching jobs before, seems to prefer being an assistant and not having to deal with the media on a regular basis. But he's gotta ask and if Parker wanted to stay on as DC any incoming coach would have to keep him.

2) Once that happens Barta will reach out to Bob Stoops to see if he has interest. I kinda think that would be a bad hire but at least for a few more years until he ages out, Bob is probably Barta's first phone call.

3) If Bob turns it down, next in line is probably his brother Mark. Mark is paid pretty well at Kentucky and has built a pretty solid foundation there, no sure thing he would take the job. I think he'd take it and if I were a betting man, that's who I'd bet on replacing Kirk as long as that's not a decade away.

4) If he turns it down then it gets interesting. Levar Woods would be an interesting candidate because he's clearly a good coach but like Kirk Ferentz has never been a OC or DC so he'd be another CEO type coach. I wonder if they can't get one of the Stoops' if they won't target an offensive coach. It just seems like whatever the faults of the previous coach was, the AD goes out of their way to hire the opposite.

So I guess in summary, I disagree with your theory mostly because I think Iowa will limit their options to someone with a connection to Iowa. I think that's a bad philosophy that could turn out ok because I think some of those options are actually good coaches.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Can robo-Osborne be programmed to cover-up crime scene evidence?
Of course. Robo-Osborne would be part of a swarm that would staff the University PD, Lincoln PD and Lancaster County Sheriff's department.

Barta can weigh in on strategies for blaming incidents on visiting/other schools.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Leonhard has likely only stayed put as the coach in waiting at Wis. However, with their defense going downhill, that may complicate things.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Barta's call list probably depends on what year he makes the call but if KF had a stroke and had to retire immediately I think this would be Barta's next moves:

1) He'd ask Phil Parker if he wanted the job. I'd be stunned if Parker hasn't been approached for head coaching jobs before, seems to prefer being an assistant and not having to deal with the media on a regular basis. But he's gotta ask and if Parker wanted to stay on as DC any incoming coach would have to keep him.

2) Once that happens Barta will reach out to Bob Stoops to see if he has interest. I kinda think that would be a bad hire but at least for a few more years until he ages out, Bob is probably Barta's first phone call.

3) If Bob turns it down, next in line is probably his brother Mark. Mark is paid pretty well at Kentucky and has built a pretty solid foundation there, no sure thing he would take the job. I think he'd take it and if I were a betting man, that's who I'd bet on replacing Kirk as long as that's not a decade away.

4) If he turns it down then it gets interesting. Levar Woods would be an interesting candidate because he's clearly a good coach but like Kirk Ferentz has never been a OC or DC so he'd be another CEO type coach. I wonder if they can't get one of the Stoops' if they won't target an offensive coach. It just seems like whatever the faults of the previous coach was, the AD goes out of their way to hire the opposite.

So I guess in summary, I disagree with your theory mostly because I think Iowa will limit their options to someone with a connection to Iowa. I think that's a bad philosophy that could turn out ok because I think some of those options are actually good coaches.
BF has a connection with Iowa and is an offensive coach.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
My theory is that they could get who UI thinks they can get. Mark Stoops fits that profile.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My theory is that they could get who UI thinks they can get. Mark Stoops fits that profile.

I actually don't think NU can get mark stoops. Anyway my point was that while I agree with your theory, in practice I don't think Iowa will actually conduct the type of search required to find out.

That said, the longer Kirk holds on, the less likely the obvious candidates are going to be interested. At that point I hope Barta isn't the one making the decision.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
What is so special about Bill O'Brien?
Most Alabama fans would agree with you and would love to see him go. Personally, I think is would be a great choice for Nebraska. He brought stability to Penn State when they needed it, and he is conservative enough but not too conservative for NU. In the mean-time, he gets to slum it with Bryce Young and Co.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Is O'Brien the favorite to get the job currently? Leipold?
IMO it seems like it would be more difficult for them to entice a head coach who is already leading and having success with a P5 program unless the coach has some sort of connection to the university or region. Not impossible, but I would think it's more likely they hire a coordinator.

I think it's hard to start a program, and most P5 schools can pay a coach a decent amount and give their coach good job security so they stick around. Nebraska could massively overpay and maybe that would tempt someone to jump, but I guess it depends on the coach.

Nebraska is not really an easy job.

Last edited:

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I actually don't think NU can get mark stoops. Anyway my point was that while I agree with your theory, in practice I don't think Iowa will actually conduct the type of search required to find out.

That said, the longer Kirk holds on, the less likely the obvious candidates are going to be interested. At that point I hope Barta isn't the one making the decision.
Yeah, I get all that and I'm sure you're probably right about Stoops but as excellent a job as he's done at UK he's probably hit the ceiling there. UNL has B1G money and from what I've heard they're getting in front of NIL. And they're obviously football focused which UK is not. The problem I see Stoops having with UNL is the thing that UI & ISU fans can agree on which is that Nebraska is gross...I could never put my heart into doing anything for that clown college.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron