Need a new TV

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I bought a 46" Insignia (the Best Buy house brand) back in 2010 and haven't had a single problem with it.

Probably about to start on fire since I typed this, but it's a solid HDTV that's never let me down.

Yeah I have a 2 Insignias too and like them. May get another one yet. Can't beat the price!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I got a really good deal on a 65" Curved Samsung at last years Black Friday Sale at Best Buy. If you can wait 3 months you might find one on sale.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone11

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Little quirk have learned about Vizio, they do not have to support attennas? You have to buy separately? Big turn off for me.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My 10 year old 42 inch Toshiba has started getting really funky with colors and am starting to see a lot more pinks. Think it's on the way out and the Best Buy guy tells me I did good to get 10 years out of it. Want a replacement in the 42 to 50 range. Have a Roku- so not sure I really need a Smart TV? 1080 HD is what I like and while I have cable now, will likely go to airwaves/stream/DVD in next few years,

Best Buy guy really likes the Sony, but I think it's hard to go wrong with Samsung? I am a value guy, but want something decent that I won't regret buying. Ideally I buy something this weekend, but have no problem being a little patient. Looks like should be able to find something under $500 pretty easy?

Advice? Suggestions?

If you had a Toshiba for 10 years then you aren't going to have a problem finding a decent model in your price range. When doing your research don't bother looking at the video details - focus on longevity and see if you can find a brand that will last you another 10 years.

Another thing to look at is the speakers. It's difficult to find a TV with decent built-in speakers, particularly if you watch a lot of movies where the dialogue gets devoured when the movie is mixed from 5.1/6.1/7.1 to 2-channel audio. Find a TV with "Clear Voice" sound option - Samsung has that, but I still find it difficult to hear the dialogue at times.

Cyclone11

Aug 29, 2016
Little quirk have learned about Vizio, they do not have to support attennas? You have to buy separately? Big turn off for me.
Vizio suck, I have heard people complain about their TVs going black screen and no help from the manufacturer/retailer, but maybe those issues have been fixed now. I have 2 Samsungs and never have any issues whatsoever.

• Disagree
Reactions: theantiAIRBHG

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I'm reading and hearing really good things about TCL. I've had my eye on a couple if them also, thinking about updating soon.

My recommendation would be to look into and understand the difference between UHD and HDR. UHD is the big buzzword for Tv's, but HDR is more important to the viewing experience.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm reading and hearing really good things about TCL. I've had my eye on a couple if them also, thinking about updating soon.

My recommendation would be to look into and understand the difference between UHD and HDR. UHD is the big buzzword for Tv's, but HDR is more important to the viewing experience.
The TCL P607 model is supposed to be great for gaming also.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Vizio suck, I have heard people complain about their TVs going black screen and no help from the manufacturer/retailer, but maybe those issues have been fixed now. I have 2 Samsungs and never have any issues whatsoever.

Lol. Vizio and "suck" is just simply not true.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Walmart is selling a 55" Philips 4K Ultra HD for $398. No idea on the quality.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Lol. Vizio and "suck" is just simply not true.
The "I have heard" after that is the real kicker, you could say the same thing about literally every brand of any product. If you search the interwebs for reviews on anything someone is going to report how there's died in 2 days and it's a horrible product.

Reactions: AmesHawk

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
One PSA on 4K TVs and HDR, a lot will say they're HDR but not be able to actually get bright enough or display enough colors to really show HDR content correctly.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I do think I've read where some models (new M series?) have cut the coax input. Would have to buy a tuner to change input to component or Y/R/W. I think you are going to see a lot of companies start to do this in the next few years.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I personally hate the Smart TV trend. I've never seen one that comes close to being as good as a standalone Roku or the like. I'd consider the TCL for the built in Roku, but I've never used one or known anybody with one.

I never use my smart tv features (in large part because i dont kick the audio from my tv back out to my receiver), but at the same time, they tend to just include it as a feature in the tvs with the higher quality displays anyway.

Generally if its low end enough that it doesn't have the 'smart' features at this point, you're probably sacrificing something in terms of picture quality vs the other models.

• Agree
Reactions: NickTheGreat