Neutral atmosphere at Arrowhead?

beatiowa

Dec 21, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Did anyone else think the atmosphere at Arrowhead was a lot more neutral last year (when we were the home team) than it was this year? I don't remember a whole lot since it was a year ago, but I definitely recall seeing videos for both KSU sports and ISU sports up on the jumbotron last year. However, this year it was 100% KSU with the exception of a "Choose Your Adventure" commercial that was shown before the game even started.

Maybe it was just me, but I felt like last year's game was treated as more of a neutral site while this year's game was treated like a home game for K-State.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I would agree, it seemed that way.

Other annoyances-
The announcer never seemed to know where the ball was. Think he even called a first down when we'd stopped KSU.
The stadium micing the crowd and bands. Seemed like everytime we were kicking it they had a mic on some fans going 'block that kick', so it was going over the speakers... and then they were putting a mic on the bands (most often the KSU band), putting it over the sound system (which created a weird sound effect with the sounds coming at different times) and the mics were highly focused, so you'd grab only one section like the trombones.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I noticed it too.

I was also annoyed that the never showed scores for other games at any time. Didn't they do that last year or am I wrong? They put most of their effort into advertising the 2 drink and a popcorn deal(it was a really good deal though!).

The Club Level is very nice.

I had a great time except for the final score...

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
It did seem a bit more KSU focused, I think there was one ISU spot ran before the game started and I didn't see another. Did KSU fans outnumber ISU fans by a lot? I couldn't see the upper deck to tell how full that was, but there was a lot of purple overall.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It did seem a bit more KSU focused, I think there was one ISU spot ran before the game started and I didn't see another. Did KSU fans outnumber ISU fans by a lot? I couldn't see the upper deck to tell how full that was, but there was a lot of purple overall.

The isu crowd was a lot smaller this year imo.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think this is just in your heads. I seem to remember last year that after the game started the promos and stuff were almost all ISU and it kind of shocked me because I thought the game would be treated as more neutral than that.

Totally agree with the mic issue with the bands though. It was happening with both, but it seemed like for ISU it was picking up drums while for KSU it was picking up trombones, which was more noticeable.

As for the crowd, I think the turnout was pretty weak for both sides, but the KSU fans certainly made more noise that we did. I think the ISU fans were very subdued, like they were just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Of course it turns out they were right.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It was a KSU "home game."

Their fans bring a lot more noise than we do. I was impressed with what they brought.

They are good fans who actually participate in cheers and the game. We tend to complain about music, cheers whatever instead of just getting into it. The thing is if everyone gets into something it looks cool.

Point in case the silly K-S-U cheer with their mascot after they score. If you look at it it is kind of silly but they embrace it and it is pretty cool. In our case rather than embracing the silly Sweet Caroline people complain and whine about it - if you were to ever look at the student section during Sweet Caroline it looks cool all the students swaying - I know it's silly but if everyone did it much like KSU's cheer it would be kind of cool.

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I think it was a little more KSU focused as it was a home game for them. I got stuck in the KSU section as we went with three other couples and the ones that got the tickets were KSU alums. The fans were good to us other than one jack hole that was a few rows behind us. No one said anything after the game as we went out. I did notice the announcers and score board made some mistakes. Overall it was a good experience.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
They are good fans who actually participate in cheers and the game. We tend to complain about music, cheers whatever instead of just getting into it. The thing is if everyone gets into something it looks cool.

Point in case the silly K-S-U cheer with their mascot after they score. If you look at it it is kind of silly but they embrace it and it is pretty cool. In our case rather than embracing the silly Sweet Caroline people complain and whine about it - if you were to ever look at the student section during Sweet Caroline it looks cool all the students swaying - I know it's silly but if everyone did it much like KSU's cheer it would be kind of cool.

The Wildcat cheer is original, Sweet Caroline... not so much. See the difference? Cyclone - Power does OK, but it needs more imo.

What if we did half stadium cyclone, other half power, then full stadium I-S-U? Sounds pretty good in my head.

Last edited:

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I believe this game was included in the KSU season ticket package, and that is why they had such a greater showing this year. Also, last year ISU was the home team, so their home game video, technical etc package was used. KSU was the home team this year, so their video etc. was used.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
I believe this game was included in the KSU season ticket package, and that is why they had such a greater showing this year. Also, last year ISU was the home team, so their home game video, technical etc package was used. KSU was the home team this year, so their video etc. was used.

Exactly, that is why the pre-game was KSU's, my access pass for the game had the Wildcat logo on it and there were more KSU fans at the game.

fanaticagain

Jun 6, 2009

The KSU Go Wildcats chant is used at the beginning of the game to fire them up and after touchdowns.

Sweet Caroline is for...for...

Well, I don't know what the hell it's for.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

not included.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The KSU Go Wildcats chant is used at the beginning of the game to fire them up and after touchdowns.

Sweet Caroline is for...for...

Well, I don't know what the hell it's for.
It's for when we're ahead at the end of the 3rd quarter, according to the Athletic Marketing and gameday operations staff.

Personally, I liked the one game in 2007 (Colorado?) when we played it as the visiting team returned to the field after halftime. The entire stadium was roaring out the chorus right as they ran out of the ramp, confusing them and making it impossible for their fans to cheer. I wish we would do that every game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron