Never felt better after a tournament loss

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah; and I wrote about it on a different thread, but we (as a collective fanbase) need to stop this crapping on a hated conference and then instinctively declaring that because we hate them = they suck, and therefore we should never, ever lose to them. It's stupid and silly and I'm tired of seeing it.
I think it’s really stupid and silly and ridiculous for any Iowa State “fan” to remotely in any way defend or show any level of respect to the Big 10. I’m f***ing really tired of seeing it.

Absolute f***ing f*** that conference. It’s embarrassing losing to them in anything. And it’s beyond infuriating the knob job the media gives them in every sport at every opportunity.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think it’s really stupid and silly and ridiculous for any Iowa State “fan” to remotely in any way defend or show any level of respect to the Big 10. I’m f***ing really tired of seeing it.

Absolute f***ing f*** that conference. It’s embarrassing losing to them in anything. And it’s beyond infuriating the knob job the media gives them in every sport at every opportunity.

This appears to be a total "you" issue. And I don't appreciate the quote mark around fan. GFY.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
1. We got 3 really good guards coming back. All tough sons a *******.

2. Big guy coming in the portal.

3. Anybody that wants to win, will come here. Anybody with a brain, will want to go to war with those 3 guards.

4. Personally I think we really need to keep Watson, add a true post or a stretch 4. And get another shooter. I know it's a lot to ask, but this is a national title contender if you can get it done.

5. Milan will get better.

Guys, next year is our chance. Reality is we just didn't have the scheme offensively or the horses to break through this year. We were still limited. We are still working through a lot forced pieces. This is it. Next year is the year. If we just get better offensively a bit, nothing is stopping these guys. Those three guards have guts, and they can play.

It can be done here. We are so close.
That Gilbert layup will be going through his mind all offseason. This team is going to come out firing right away next year

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We had a great season, but nobody wanted it to see it end like that. It would been one thing if UCONN just drilled us and then goes on to win the championship. But I don't think anybody thought Illinois is a better team, they hit their shots and we did not. In other words they played closer to the potential, while we played under ours last night. We came out tight, the offense was too fast and we were forcing shots not allowing us to get into a flow on offense.
Illinois was just the opposite; they were loose and got their offense going early. They did a great job with our trapping, finding the open shooters and moving the ball around and keeping the ball in the center of the court.

At this time of year, in most games its the team that can keep it rolling, one poor shooting game and your season can be over. Arizonia has great talent, but they did not play like it yesterday and lost, their NBA caliber guards both had poor games, Milan was horrible, the posts did little to nothing most of the game, Gilbert was trying to do too much in the first quarter and was scoreless.

Great season, but not the type of way we wanted to go out.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Gonna give one controversial opinion then disappear.

While I love the energy and commitment to the university, this team will be better off when we’re not force feeding minutes to Rob Jones. He’s just not a good basketball player. Phenomenal teammate and representative of the university. Not a good basketball player. He’s constantly shoved around, misses some of the easiest bunnies you’ll ever see, isn’t even worth guarding when he’s more than 4 feet from the basket and is so extremely uncoordinated you could make a highlight reel off of all the balls that he fumbles off his hands, hit his legs or body and bounce out of bounds. We’ll be a much better basketball team when we’re not trying to force 15 minutes a game on him.

Don't agree with you but it is good to see you post again. Still out east?

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ

While I love the energy and commitment to the university, this team will be better off when we’re not force feeding minutes to Rob Jones. He’s just not a good basketball player. Phenomenal teammate and representative of the university. Not a good basketball player. He’s constantly shoved around, misses some of the easiest bunnies you’ll ever see, isn’t even worth guarding when he’s more than 4 feet from the basket and is so extremely uncoordinated you could make a highlight reel off of all the balls that he fumbles off his hands, hit his legs or body and bounce out of bounds. We’ll be a much better basketball team when we’re not trying to force 15 minutes a game on him.
Please do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and go watch how Coach feels about Rob, then get back to us

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I'm excited about next year, but I feel like **** after that loss. It was there for the taking
I’m fine personally. I was truly excited about last night’s game and thought there was a real chance we beat them by 15. Then I thought the UConn game might have been like last night’s game….where we would hopefully hang around and hope to find a way. Last night’s game wasn’t obviously what I hoped for, but even if we had gotten through Illinois, I realized we would have gotten smoked by UConn. We peaked in the Big 12 tournament…and I’m actually pretty ok with that. That was an awesome week. Some year the fun will continue to the Final Four, and maybe this could have been that year if we hadn’t been seeded so poorly, but mostly I think we were just running out of gas.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013

I'm going to assume you watch the ball all the time. Rob was not the best ball player, but the guy did a good job on the opposing team's biggest guys trying to keep them out of the paint and was pretty darn good at blocking out most of the time to allow the guards to get the bounds.

I won't disagree that a more effective offensive scorer would be nice, but he was not the waste of space you are describing.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and cyputz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm going to assume you watch the ball all the time. Rob was not the best ball player, but the guy did a good job on the opposing team's biggest guys trying to keep them out of the paint and was pretty darn good at blocking out most of the time to allow the guards to get the bounds.

I won't disagree that a more effective offensive scorer would be nice, but he was not the waste of space you are describing.

If ISU is leakier on D next year we may see that they miss the QB in the middle getting everyone to their spots.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and CYDJ

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Watching a lot of the games over the past couple of weeks, the teams that are still playing have a couple things in common, they are hitting their shots, but more importantly they have size. Look at the entire B12 and ask yourself, "how many teams in the league really has a big center that can score and get rebounds?"

The better teams in the league have smaller quicker forwards and centers, but really struggle when they come up against taller players in the post. Both Houston and we struggled against length down low, Purdue is rolling because they have a giant down there, but NC State has a big guy that can score. Maybe the coaches in the league should stop trying to find the quicker 6'8" kid and go after the larger 6' 11" kid that can rebound and hit a shot. Hell can anyone imagine how good ISU would play with a player like Garza at the center position for us.

• Dumb
Reactions: Bigman38

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Watching a lot of the games over the past couple of weeks, the teams that are still playing have a couple things in common, they are hitting their shots, but more importantly they have size. Look at the entire B12 and ask yourself, "how many teams in the league really has a big center that can score and get rebounds?"

The better teams in the league have smaller quicker forwards and centers, but really struggle when they come up against taller players in the post. Both Houston and we struggled against length down low, Purdue is rolling because they have a giant down there, but NC State has a big guy that can score. Maybe the coaches in the league should stop trying to find the quicker 6'8" kid and go after the larger 6' 11" kid that can rebound and hit a shot. Hell can anyone imagine how good ISU would play with a player like Garza at the center position for us.
yeah, ask how that worked out for Purdue when teams with 5 guys go small ball on them. They have been bounced from the tournament because 6'4 to 6'6 athletes from a school like St Peters ran their bigs off the floor.

GoldandCardinal

Sep 28, 2019

That last sentence made me want to throw up…

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That last sentence made me want to throw up…
It was hard for me to type, but I was thinking more of a player like Garza, a big center that could score and rebound, a threat in the post. But it would be silly to turn down a player that was the national player of the year.
The entire league has gone away from the big guy in the post, and gone to smaller, quicker, shorter post players and I think that switch has really hurt us when we get to the tournament. Outside of BYU and Kansas, did any of the other schools have a true big post player?

Reactions: GoldandCardinal

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
yeah, ask how that worked out for Purdue when teams with 5 guys go small ball on them. They have been bounced from the tournament because 6'4 to 6'6 athletes from a school like St Peters ran their bigs off the floor.
True it happens but look how much Houston struggled with the length of Duke last night, we struggled with the length of Illinois, Marquette struggled with UNCS. Eddy is just a physical freak for any team, because he forces you to protect the middle of the floor or he eats you up.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
True it happens but look how much Houston struggled with the length of Duke last night, we struggled with the length of Illinois, Marquette struggled with UNCS. Eddy is just a physical freak for any team, because he forces you to protect the middle of the floor or he eats you up.
I went to bed after Shead got hurt, but Houston's "smaller" bigs were beating up on Duke early.
Things go in cycles and I do kind of agree that there seems to be a trend back to the traditional post, at least in size. I'm hoping JT Rock is great as the Cyclone version.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron