Never felt better after a tournament loss

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Rob is going to be a big loss. Not to take away from Ward and Tre, but there were quite a few times where Rob willed the team into a key run or just set the tempo.
What made these guys and this team really good was the fact that they all had big moments and big games. There were absolutely games that ISU only wins by having all three of these guys. King vs. KU, Rob vs. KSU, Ward vs. SDSU for example.

Despite what dumb fans and their eyeball test says, what the analytics tell us is that the team played well with any of these three on the court. They led a great program turn-around and next years' team will build off of what these guys did. Maybe more importantly, they were critical in developing the culture of the program and showing how to go about your business.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
What made these guys and this team really good was the fact that they all had big moments and big games. There were absolutely games that ISU only wins by having all three of these guys. King vs. KU, Rob vs. KSU, Ward vs. SDSU for example.

Despite what dumb fans and their eyeball test says, what the analytics tell us is that the team played well with any of these three on the court. They led a great program turn-around and next years' team will build off of what these guys did. Maybe more importantly, they were critical in developing the culture of the program and showing how to go about your business.

How many teams we had over the years where if one big guy was in foul trouble we'd be screwed, not the case this year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Because nobody cares about pre season stuff. WE care about how it turned out and not taking advantage of the team we have. We should have won last night. That is what I am saying anyway. If we would have lost 11 games this year then yeah, sweet16 would have been huge. Much like two years ago. However, last night sucked. We didn't play our best.
When you're judging a coach and team performance you absolutely should care. We were only non t25 team at start of year to be in t10.

I'm happy with this season... but given our expectations, I'm happy.

Reactions: Die4Cy and NWICY

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I agree with both points of view...it is moving the goal posts but in this case it is understandable! It was a GREAT season...but we did come up a bit short at the end with the opportunity that presented itself. Doesn't take away from how great the season was.
Yeah... I'm disappointed we didn't make the e8... but it doesn't take away from how much I love this season. They outperformed any expectations. If anyone said they'd make s16 this year preseason, we'd call them crazy

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
a52f299e-2355-44a8-b8d9-9b77815d134a_text.gif

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Given preseason roster and expectations... not sure how making the sweet 16 this year is not taking advantage of what's being in front of them

Given preseason roster and expectations... not sure how making the sweet 16 this year is not taking advantage of what's being in front of them.
The loss didn't happen in the preseason. It happened now when you're favored to win. What did they do? Piss*d it down their legs, that's what they did.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
A season like this for Iowa MBB would be a lifetime contract for Fran…. a full color 12 page insert in the CR Gazette, and a half hour special on KCRG (but they couldn’t even bother to cover this when ISU does it).

And yet…. we are feeling sad today that we didn’t make the Elite Eight. That tells you everything you need to know about where our program is at. Nearly blue blood level.

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
The loss didn't happen in the preseason. It happened now when you're favored to win. What did they do? Piss*d it down their legs, that's what they did.
Basing your season on a single elimination tournament loss against a top 10 team says more about you than it does the team.

Hiw did the team do? Did it exceed expectations? Absolutely.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Favored by a point, and only lost by 3. Played with a ton of energy all night and you’re still only in year 3. Every run like this makes it easier to recruit the offensive players needed to break through. It was a 2 seed vs a 3 seed at the end of the day.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

FFS, get a grip.

A 2 vs. 3 matchup is as evenly matched a game as you can get at this point in the tournament. We were barely favored going into it, and all of sites like KenPom and Torvik put our chances between 55 and 65 percent, hardly overwhelming odds. I'm disappointed we lost, but not surprised.

This isn't on the level of Oakland vs. Kentucky. Stop trying to make it like it is.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
FFS, get a grip.

A 2 vs. 3 matchup is as evenly matched a game as you can get at this point in the tournament. We were barely favored going into it, and all of sites like KenPom and Torvik put our chances between 55 and 65 percent, hardly overwhelming odds. I'm disappointed we lost, but not surprised.

This isn't on the level of Oakland vs. Kentucky. Stop trying to make it like it is.
Honestly I think the reactions like this are from people shitting on the big ten so much that it feels like losing to Illinois is this horrible upset when like you said it’s a 2 vs a 3 and a 1 point spread.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I always believe that a sweet 16 or better is always a good season. Last night sucked since I felt we were at least an elite 8 team. I trust TJ though and I have felt that each season we have only gotten better. Really hope we are next season’s Houston where we can play top level defense and offense with the best of them. They always say the most improvement happens from freshman to sophomore season. I think Lipsey proved that this year. Hopefully Milan has a similarly marked improvement.

On to portal season.

Reactions: NENick

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I always believe that a sweet 16 or better is always a good season. Last night sucked since I felt we were at least an elite 8 team. I trust TJ though and I have felt that each season we have only gotten better. Really hope we are next season’s Houston where we can play top level defense and offense with the best of them. They always say the most improvement happens from freshman to sophomore season. I think Lipsey proved that this year. Hopefully Milan has a similarly marked improvement.

On to portal season.

With this staff, it feels like that improvement happens for each guy every season.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
What were your expectations before the season? When conference games started? And postseason expections?

Kind of sounds like you just can’t find joy in a season unless it ends up raising a trophy.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Honestly I think the reactions like this are from people shitting on the big ten so much that it feels like losing to Illinois is this horrible upset when like you said it’s a 2 vs a 3 and a 1 point spread.
I think you’re right here. Everyone saying we laid an egg, I thought it was a very evenly-matched game against the Big 10 tournament champion, 3-seed, #1 offense in the country. We played a tough team.

Yeah we played poorly offensively in the first half, missed some bunnies, and continued to double too long imo. But Illinois missed 14 FTs (shot 51%) and Shannon only played 22 minutes due to foul trouble. We took advantage of that and it was anyone’s game the last 7 minutes. It’s not like they played perfect and stole the game from us similar to the UAB game years ago.

I’m disappointed we lost. But, to me, it was a toss-up game going in (Vegas and KenPom agreed) and we came up a bit short.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Yeah; and I wrote about it on a different thread, but we (as a collective fanbase) need to stop this crapping on a hated conference and then instinctively declaring that because we hate them = they suck, and therefore we should never, ever lose to them. It's stupid and silly and I'm tired of seeing it.

rednrdy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2010
Step away from the ledge and look throw the lense. I feel this is hte most important stat and the reason we lost....

1711741822547.png We can throw away any argument related to offensive scheme, defensive scheme, age, experience, and height - hard to win shooting less than 50% on layups and dunks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think you’re right here. Everyone saying we laid an egg, I thought it was a very evenly-matched game against the Big 10 tournament champion, 3-seed, #1 offense in the country. We played a tough team.

Yeah we played poorly offensively in the first half, missed some bunnies, and continued to double too long imo. But Illinois missed 14 FTs (shot 51%) and Shannon only played 22 minutes due to foul trouble. We took advantage of that and it was anyone’s game the last 7 minutes. It’s not like they played perfect and stole the game from us similar to the UAB game years ago.

I’m disappointed we lost. But, to me, it was a toss-up game going in (Vegas and KenPom agreed) and we came up a bit short.

It was basically what a Sweet 16 game is supposed to be. Both teams with a legit chance to win.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
When you get to the S16, you're facing good teams, and usually good teams playing their best basketball.

This was a really good season and team, and yes, there were lots of mistakes that shot this opportunity to get to the elite eight. ISU's problem hasn't been having great teams blow it. It's been having lots of turnover in coaching and never getting a string of high seeds into the tournament enough times to give themselves a high chance to advance.

Hell, we've never had another coach ever get to two S16s until now!

Illinois and ISU are both really good teams, and Illinois was better last night. It happens. This wasn't Hampton, and it wasn't Pitt. It was a good team getting beat by another good team, which is the way things are going to be from the S16 on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron