New Arrowhead?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Yes. Interned in them in 2014 when they first opened. Cerner has a fire sale going on. 3 KC campuses for sale https://fox4kc.com/business/cerner-...-3-office-properties-across-kansas-city-area/

I worked for them too for a little bit. I know they are building their campus by the old Bannister mall site, but I didn't think they would be looking to sell the Continous campus with it being so new. I figured they would want to get out of their innovation campus and move all those people across the street since I believe they are leasing the innovation campus.

The other two properties make sense. I actually worked in the North Oak one.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Johnson County (Kansas) is where the big money lives in the KC metro and they have been complaining for years that they are getting ripped off by the city of Kansas City (Missouri) and the state of Missouri for years on the Truman Sportrs Complex financials. Overland Park keeps getting bigger and bigger as the metro moves south and west. The locals call KU "Johnson County West" btw. The access to Truman off the interstate is not good and that might have a small impact on relocation.

I understand they probably feel that way because of the 1% earnings tax the city has, but how do they feel they are getting screwed by the Truman Sports Complex financials by living in another state?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I worked for them too for a little bit. I know they are building their campus by the old Bannister mall site, but I didn't think they would be looking to sell the Continous campus with it being so new. I figured they would want to get out of their innovation campus and move all those people across the street since I believe they are leasing the innovation campus.

The other two properties make sense. I actually worked in the North Oak one.
I work at the new campus (pre-covid), it's called Innovations now and the old one is now Realization. They moved most engineering to the new campus, support is moving to the second set of buildings whenever we go back in. There were supposed to be 10 total buildings, 4 are done and the rest aren't going to happen now. Legal battle impending with KC due to the tax breaks they broke.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I know Arrowhead is not THAT new but it's not that old either. I'm shocked they and Royals are looking elsewhere. I thought they had a real nice setup there.
I don't know the ins and outs, but I think the "new stadium" move is used by franchise owners to offset costs via tax, incentives etc.

Say "we need a new stadium" and if they don't oblige, you move into a different county or across state lines.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If they want a new indoor stadium (almost a requirement for a super bowl unless in the south\west) that's another factor. Indoor\retractable roof stadiums are also just so much more usable in terms of generating revenue as many days of the year as possible. So its understandable why they might want to move into something different.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Chiefs will have the entire complex to themselves for such a project no later than the end of the decade when the Royals lease ends. The new owner is pretty committed to a downtown park for them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't know why you'd want to ditch Arrowhead. It's one of the most iconic venues in the NFL and an insane home field advantage.

Plus, you know a new stadium in the Midwest that's tax payer funded is going to be an indoor venue so they can have monster truck races and boat shows in January.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I understand they probably feel that way because of the 1% earnings tax the city has, but how do they feel they are getting screwed by the Truman Sports Complex financials by living in another state?
The residents of Johnson County claim that it is verified that 80% of the tickets sold at Truman are sold in Johnson County. Keep in mind that a good share are corporate. I am just repeating what college buddies of mine claim.

• Informative
Reactions: SCNCY

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If they want a new indoor stadium (almost a requirement for a super bowl unless in the south\west) that's another factor. Indoor\retractable roof stadiums are also just so much more usable in terms of generating revenue as many days of the year as possible. So its understandable why they might want to move into something different.
Yep.

Gotta get those Super Bowls, Final Fours, Wrestlemanias and Stadium Sized Concerts.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
This would be dumb. They've made so many upgrades to the concourse and other aspects recently. The new seats are garbage but we stand the entire game so who cares. The setup is great for tailgating, helps boost Royals ticket sales and the stadium is practical. Signed a Chiefs season ticket holder.
I’d be thrilled with it. Shortens drive time and less interactions with toothless Hoosiers.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I thought I heard a few years ago that if the chiefs were to build a new stadium that Hyvee owned the naming rights of that stadium. Dont remember where I heard that though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't know why you'd want to ditch Arrowhead. It's one of the most iconic venues in the NFL and an insane home field advantage.

Plus, you know a new stadium in the Midwest that's tax payer funded is going to be an indoor venue so they can have monster truck races and boat shows in January.

While everything you mention is true, neither are any of them deciding factors. The deciding factors are "how much can a stadium generate revenues for the primary tenant?" and "can we hold the local municipality(ies) hostage for a new stadium, and if so, how high can we set the ransom?" And if you don't think any of that matters, all you have to do is look east down I-70. For the Chiefs' owners, I don't even need to see their faces to know the lust in their eyes when they look at the revenue Lucas Oil Stadium generates for the Colts; and as far as the local fans, the last thing they want to have happen to them is what happened in St. Louis.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Royals already have a baseball field built by the race track, and it will hold all the fans.;) I believe it has a A or AA team in it now.