New "Big 12" TV Deal will be Substantial...

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Iowa State's contract with Learfield includes all of the above mentioned rights (radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage.)

So that $5 million number is all-encompassing.

This.

And LOL to the guy above, no it's not a really bad deal. Let's say no new contract even comes up, and NOTHING changes at all with our TV deals. We would STILL be getting more money because we are splitting the pot 10 ways instead of 12. So if nothing changed, we'd still be essentially guaranteed a roughly 2 million dollar increase in revenue. Pollard/GG said as much in the news conference.

Again, a note to everyone; do not let sportstalkmatty get you all worried about this.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Iowa State's contract with Learfield includes all of the above mentioned rights (radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage.)

So that $5 million number is all-encompassing.

Thanks for the info Brent.

So this says we will be $1 million ahead of where we are now correct? I assume this is when the 'new deal' is actually put into place. I would hope when the deal is put into place we would be much higher than the $14 million but I am not counting on it. Basically that is saying our Learfield contract with the $5 million would be the same in 2012 compared to 2009 #'s with only an additional $1 million in TV money.

Cloned4life, I am not taking sportstalkmatt's word on this. I am skeptical by nature and something smells bad about this whole Big 12 deal. I was thinking this stuff before he talked about it yesterday.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This.

And LOL to the guy above, no it's not a really bad deal. Let's say no new contract even comes up, and NOTHING changes at all with our TV deals. We would STILL be getting more money because we are splitting the pot 10 ways instead of 12. So if nothing changed, we'd still be essentially guaranteed a roughly 2 million dollar increase in revenue. Pollard/GG said as much in the news conference.

Again, a note to everyone; do not let sportstalkmatty get you all worried about this.

And another thing,

As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage. It is not known when these rights will be available.

It says that FSN would like these other rights when they come available. It doesn't say that they are aren't going to pay additionally for those rights when the get them (like IMG, ISP, and Learfield do now), or that the money proposed now includes payments for those rights in the future. Yet everybody is assuming that the money FSN has proposed now includes payment for the future media rights. Have there been any other reports besides this one about these third-tier rights that actually says this?

If ISU's makes $5 million off this stuff, what do you think UT makes, with their monster video board? They aren't going to just give that away...

I listened to the second hour M&M podcast from yesterday to hear the Chip Brown interview. It seems pretty clear that SportsTalkMatt's angle is to paint all this stuff and ISU in particular in as bad as light as possible.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
And another thing,

It says that FSN would like these other rights when they come available. It doesn't say that they are aren't going to pay additionally for those rights when the get them (like IMG, ISP, and Learfield do now), or that the money proposed now includes payments for those rights in the future. Yet everybody is assuming that the money FSN has proposed now includes payment for the future media rights. Have there been any other reports besides this one about these third-tier rights that actually says this?

If ISU's makes $5 million off this stuff, what do you think UT makes, with their monster video board? They aren't going to just give that away...

I listened to the second hour M&M podcast from yesterday to hear the Chip Brown interview. It seems pretty clear that SportsTalkMatt's angle is to paint all this stuff and ISU in particular in as bad as light as possible.

Well, that WOULD be par for the course...

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for the info Brent.

So this says we will be $1 million ahead of where we are now correct? I assume this is when the 'new deal' is actually put into place. I would hope when the deal is put into place we would be much higher than the $14 million but I am not counting on it. Basically that is saying our Learfield contract with the $5 million would be the same in 2012 compared to 2009 #'s with only an additional $1 million in TV money.

You raise a valid concern. It's tough to know the exact numbers because the TV contract is still educated speculation. My feeling is ISU will make quite a bit more (at least $5 million) when all is said and done in 2013.

I would imagine if FSN takes control of the the third party contracts as well, the amount of the TV contract would be much, much higher than the suggested $140 million and I have no idea if FSN even has the people in place to manage the those additional contracts. They can ask all the want, but who knows if it is feasible.

Pollard and his staff obviously are privy to the numbers and know exponentially more than anyone else. I'm comfortable knowing that they would make sure this will benefit Iowa State.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You raise a valid concern. It's tough to know the exact numbers because the TV contract is still educated speculation. My feeling is ISU will make quite a bit more (at least $5 million) when all is said and done in 2013.

I would imagine if FSN takes control of the the third party contracts as well, the amount of the TV contract would be much, much higher than the suggested $140 million and I have no idea if FSN even has the people in place to manage the those additional contracts. They can ask all the want, but who knows if it is feasible.

Pollard and his staff obviously are privy to the numbers and know exponentially more than anyone else. I'm comfortable knowing that they would make sure this will benefit Iowa State.

Thanks again for the info, when you say the contract would be higher then the $140 million that makes me feel better about the deal. I agree 100% that Pollard will try to make this benefit ISU as much as possible. As stated before I am always skeptical, I do not believe you should take what someone says in the media as gospel.