New CRTC Athlete - Akhmedkhan Tembotov

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Looks like the CRTC is bringing in a new wrestler from Russia. He goes by Han and is 20 years old. He’s won a couple of European Championship golds at the cadet level at 80 kg.

Sounds like a good guy to bring in the room. Wonder if there is a chance he suits up for folk. Maybe replace Marcus?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This may be a question for those a little more informed in the International FS world but how the hell do we keep finding these guys? Much less convince them to come to Ames?

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Russia is a big country but is there a connection with him ramazan?

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This may be a question for those a little more informed in the International FS world but how the hell do we keep finding these guys? Much less convince them to come to Ames?
I think it is a pretty much a win-win for ISU and the athletes, we've seen it a few times at other schools but not all that often. I'm surprised we haven't seen it more at NCAA level.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think it is a pretty much a win-win for ISU and the athletes, we've seen it a few times at other schools but not all that often. I'm surprised we haven't seen it more at NCAA level.
Much like Hoiberg mastering the transfer portal, I think we will in the near future.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ames >Russia or most any other country .
I'm not trying to be cocky but it is reality. Glad these guys are picking Ames though.

Reactions: JM4CY

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
If it were that easy every coaching, most notably Cael, would be going after international wrestlers. There have been very few international wrestlers in college wrestling for a couple reasons. They definitely don’t like our intense and high-paced style. Freestyle is easier on the body than folkstyle. Folkstyle season is incredibly long and intense. Most international guys compete a couple times a year max. They don’t like making weight this often. Bottom deficiencies. Language barriers. Education barriers. Intense school academic schedule. Social/family challenges. Just to name a few.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If it were that easy every coaching, most notably Cael, would be going after international wrestlers. There have been very few international wrestlers in college wrestling for a couple reasons. They definitely don’t like our intense and high-paced style. Freestyle is easier on the body than folkstyle. Folkstyle season is incredibly long and intense. Most international guys compete a couple times a year max. They don’t like making weight this often. Bottom deficiencies. Language barriers. Education barriers. Intense school academic schedule. Social/family challenges. Just to name a few.
Collegiate wrestling is the absolute hardest college sport for the student athlete. You have to do all that training, go to classes, study, and watch every single calorie.

I was so impressed with them at ISU.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This is a pretty myopic point of view. From a purely wrestling standpoint you could flip it on it's head and question all the folkstyle wrestlers who had difficulty transitioning to freestyle. They are just different beasts.

That said, the I think the more prominent reason (rather than international wrestlers not being 'tough enough' as you suggested) is that wrestling is a very popular and high profile sport in many of these countries. High level wrestlers are much more famous and well compensated than here in the US. Why would they spend 4-5 years learning a different style that might hinder their growth, income and popularity in their home country?

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
This is a pretty myopic point of view. From a purely wrestling standpoint you could flip it on it's head and question all the folkstyle wrestlers who had difficulty transitioning to freestyle. They are just different beasts.

That said, the I think the more prominent reason (rather than international wrestlers not being 'tough enough' as you suggested) is that wrestling is a very popular and high profile sport in many of these countries. High level wrestlers are much more famous and well compensated than here in the US. Why would they spend 4-5 years learning a different style that might hinder their growth, income and popularity in their home country?
You said my post was myopic, or lacking intellectual insight, then just summed up my post by “They are just different beasts”. No **** Einstein, that’s what I just said. Way to go deep there

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
You said my post was myopic, or lacking intellectual insight, then just summed up my post by “They are just different beasts”. No **** Einstein, that’s what I just said. Way to go deep there
I'll take that. Perhaps 'myopic' wasn't exactly the right term. Maybe one-sided would have been better. You basically said that foreign wrestlers couldn't hack it at the American forms of wrestling because of intensity/commitment/lifestyle, etc. I pointed out there are other reasons that play much more heavily into it if you bothered to look at it from their perspective. Of course every individual is different.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I'll take that. Perhaps 'myopic' wasn't exactly the right term. Maybe one-sided would have been better. You basically said that foreign wrestlers couldn't hack it at the American forms of wrestling because of intensity/commitment/lifestyle, etc. I pointed out there are other reasons that play much more heavily into it if you bothered to look at it from their perspective. Of course every individual is different.
Couldn’t agree more, I said just to name a few. However, those things I mentioned are true and massively important. Cuba has some of the most athletic wrestlers I’ve ever seen. You think they want to stay in Cuba? What about Russians, do they want to stay in Russia and be drafted into Putin’s evil plans? Not turning this political but if you went down the socioeconomics path it would be easy to see how this plays out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron