New (Different) Wrestling Facility

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I get the spend money on the athletes take. But this to me is a little more sustainable, only 25% from fans and it will probably be the home for the foreseeable future. When an athlete visits they will know that Iowa State is serious about wrestling. Hang replica banners to the Hilton ones and hopefully we get on track to hang more
This along with a standard view and updated level across the facilities. You take them to the SPC and see how grand it is but then end up at Lied and it is a clear massive drop off. This will change that.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
So some people are saying that this will be the best facility in the country. But I always thought that PSU is a level above everyone else because of donor money. So will this truly be better than anything PSU has?

Last edited:

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
So some people are saying that this will be the best facility in the country. But I always thought that PSU is a level above everyone else because of a donor money. So will this truly be better than anything PSU has?
It will be a better facility than PSU has. Theirs is good, but has been several years since they’ve done a major Reno.

Reactions: Cyguy1994 and legi

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
So some people are saying that this will be the best facility in the country. But I always thought that PSU is a level above everyone else because of donor money. So will this truly be better than anything PSU has?
This will be better than PSU, until they get pissed and remodel again. But this building for ISU is a game changer for years to come.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but when i was at ISU. I was friends with the baseball club president and VP. JP sits down with all the athletic clubs pretty much discussing ways the AD can help out. Well, he was pretty upfront with them at baseball will probably never come back. In fact the one sport ISU has eye'd up in the past was Hockey. The AD actually has some contingency plans if they were to add hockey. Mostly around expanding the ISU Ice arena adding a practice rink and building on to the locker rooms. If a male sport is added it sounds like to them that hockey would be that sport. ISU has a very large club following and won something like 18 club hockey final fours.
Interesting. I have known 3 kids from Iowa that played hockey in high school. Where do these players come from? Does it not cost cost more to run a hockey program + maintain facilities compared to baseball? All I ever heard from those hockey parents is how expensive equipment and ice time is. If the argument is it is easier to compete in hockey vs. the southern baseball teams in our conference then I can see that.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Interesting. I have known 3 kids from Iowa that played hockey in high school. Where do these players come from? Does it not cost cost more to run a hockey program + maintain facilities compared to baseball? All I ever heard from those hockey parents is how expensive equipment and ice time is. If the argument is it is easier to compete in hockey vs. the southern baseball teams in our conference then I can see that.
Minnesota easily, Minnesota is the Texas of hockey they produce a large number of them. Minnesota currently has 5 D1 hockey teams and if you factor in drive time to the twin cities. Iowa State is actually a more local team than some of them. On top of that Iowa State could offer a more attractive campus life than majority of D1 hockey schools. You can sell 4 years at Ames a lot better than 4 years at northern michigan university.

Plus schools like Omaha have D1 programs. Also Lindenwood was recently promoted to D1 from club which is located in Missouri. I would wager Iowa State is closer to good recruiting grounds and Hockey has been expanding in Iowa. Without a doubt I think Iowa State would be similar to Penn State who jumped from club and now are a top 25 hockey program.

Hockey has a larger chance of being successful here than baseball. From my understanding baseball would need a total rebuild. new stadium and all. While the ISU ice arena was designed to be expanded if needed. All hockey needs are a practice rink and home locker room. (the plan is the combine the old locker rooms to make a big visitors room.) I think the cost of moving to D1 hockey may actually be cheaper than all the work that is needed for baseball. Just speculation on my part though.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Minnesota easily, Minnesota is the Texas of hockey they produce a large number of them. Minnesota currently has 5 D1 hockey teams and if you factor in drive time to the twin cities. Iowa State is actually a more local team than some of them. On top of that Iowa State could offer a more attractive campus life than majority of D1 hockey schools. You can sell 4 years at Ames a lot better than 4 years at northern michigan university.

Plus schools like Omaha have D1 programs. Also Lindenwood was recently promoted to D1 from club which is located in Missouri. I would wager Iowa State is closer to good recruiting grounds and Hockey has been expanding in Iowa. Without a doubt I think Iowa State would be similar to Penn State who jumped from club and now are a top 25 hockey program.

Hockey has a larger chance of being successful here than baseball. From my understanding baseball would need a total rebuild. new stadium and all. While the ISU ice arena was designed to be expanded if needed. All hockey needs are a practice rink and home locker room. (the plan is the combine the old locker rooms to make a big visitors room.) I think the cost of moving to D1 hockey may actually be cheaper than all the work that is needed for baseball. Just speculation on my part though.
Much better chance of being decent in hockey compared to baseball. I mean there is just no way we compete with southern/texas schools in baseball.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Unless we hear something different from JP, there's practically no chance of additional men's sports being added. We're already behind in funding from most other P5 schools and spreading the dollars thinner just doesn't make sense. I think his approach is to compete as well as we can in the sports we have both financially and on the field.

I'm very appreciative of Jamie's commitment to wresting and I've told him that and I hope he hears it from all of us here and from all the season ticket holders. Or better, buy more season tickets.

No offense to anybody, but if you want to post dreams of adding other sports, please start a different thread.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
No offense to anybody, but if you want to post dreams of adding other sports, please start a different thread.
Relax, dude. The thought of this facility possibility enabling women's wrestling is what started this. Or are you disallowing me to talk about that in this thread, too.

Reactions: wxman1 and CyGold

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

Feel free to take offense by my post. I started it by complementing JP on his support of my favorite sport (Wrestling) and then offering to build him a statue if he brings back baseball. Obviously I've touched a nerve.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
It will be a better facility than PSU has. Theirs is good, but has been several years since they’ve done a major Reno.

I wouldn't even compare to PSU. They will always be able to one up us whenever they choose to do so. That is, unless, we develop some mystery/fanatical donor that pours insane amounts of money into the program.

PSU is a juggernaut, a great program and a HUGE in-state school. But that's okay...we need to become consistently relevant (top 5 finishes) before we compare ourselves to PSU in any capacity.

Regardless this facility is great for the program. In the end that's all that matters.

Reactions: G-imJustafan

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I wouldn't even compare to PSU. They will always be able to one up us whenever they choose to do so. That is, unless, we develop some mystery/fanatical donor that pours insane amounts of money into the program.

PSU is a juggernaut, a great program and a HUGE in-state school. But that's okay...we need to become consistently relevant (top 5 finishes) before we compare ourselves to PSU in any capacity.

Regardless this facility is great for the program. In the end that's all that matters.
I would never compare the entirety of the program vs PSU. But someone asked if this facility would be better than theirs, and objectively it will.