New highrise?

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Rice is just plain crazy. Enough said.

Goodman has always been an odd mix to me. As a small business owner some of his stances have been peculiar at best. There were at times I felt he went against the grain for the sake of going against the grain. Maybe things have changed since I last dealt with the Ames political scene two years ago, but that's where he was at back then.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If Ankeny was smart, they would put up a mall on the north side of town between the rest area and the Elkhart exit on I-35. I'm pretty sure thats only a 15 minute drive from Ames. People would drive 15 minutes to spite the anti-development Ames City Council.

At this point, I wouldn't expect any developer to be looking at building malls/shopping centers for quite sometime. The company that owns Jordan Creek/Coral Ridge and some other malls is facing bankruptcy issues. A lot of retail chains are struggling mightily and pulling back expansions and new stores. Bad times to be in the mall business.

The shopping center that Bucky Wolford tried to get built 5 years ago is still in the works but the economy isn't helping. Not to beat a dead horse, but obviously if the city council had been able to pull its' collective head out for a few months, we would actually have a retail development instead of concepts and plans that may or may not ever happen.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Its much larger than a strip mall...City Manager - Capital Improvement Plan

Yeah, it's a "lifestyle center", which is pretty much an outdoor mall. A strip mall wouldn't have big anchor stores and a large theatre. Really decent plan although I've heard that it was sized down due to the council. Now the developer is having a tough time leasing spots due to the economy. But if things get better, I would think that he would get back moving because he's already invested a ton of money.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Yeah, it's a "lifestyle center", which is pretty much an outdoor mall. A strip mall wouldn't have big anchor stores and a large theatre. Really decent plan although I've heard that it was sized down due to the council. Now the developer is having a tough time leasing spots due to the economy. But if things get better, I would think that he would get back moving because he's already invested a ton of money.

Lets hope... this town needs SOMETHING

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
What happened last night? Did they vote on it?

Turns out that they were just voting on new requirements for tax abatement. Apartment buildings in campustown can't have balconeys, windows that open facing the street, separate entrance for residents, video cameras in entrys, no commercial above the second floor (due to problems with Legends) etc. I think that they vote on the actual building later on. No doubt it will pass...I can't see the downside other than an eyesore during construction.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Turns out that they were just voting on new requirements for tax abatement. Apartment buildings in campustown can't have balconeys, windows that open facing the street, separate entrance for residents, video cameras in entrys, no commercial above the second floor (due to problems with Legends) etc. I think that they vote on the actual building later on. No doubt it will pass...I can't see the downside other than an eyesore during construction.

Therein lies the confusion... the article was about high rise requirements, not a 5-story building being called a highrise. :biglaugh:

Too bad to hear that they are having problems with Legends. I've been there a couple times, and while Legends is nothing special it is nice to get some good views of campus while relaxing and having some beer and food. Leave it to students to ruin it for the rest of us. :jimlad:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Therein lies the confusion... the article was about high rise requirements, not a 5-story building being called a highrise. :biglaugh:

Too bad to hear that they are having problems with Legends. I've been there a couple times, and while Legends is nothing special it is nice to get some good views of campus while relaxing and having some beer and food. Leave it to students to ruin it for the rest of us. :jimlad:

I've only been there once, but I thought Legends was a neat setup.

Who ever let students into a university anyway? :wink:

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA

I am probably just slow or out of the loop, but what sort of problems have they had with Legends?

Reactions: l2alphmacchio

Help Support Us

Become a patron