Idea: New Member Post Limit to Create a Thread

Should new threads only be started by members with 50-100+ posts?

• YES

Votes: 93 41.0%
  • NO

Votes: 134 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I propose that CF impose a 50-100 post limit before a member can create a new thread.

I have been a part of other forums that implement a rule where new members are not allowed to create threads until they have reached a certain number of posts, giving them a certain level of validity. I think that such a rule here could help clean up the content of the site. There are a lot of new users that join (which is fantastic) but may not understand message board etiquette or functions right away. They may not realize there is a search function, or that their 12-hour-old breaking news was actually already talked about when it was breaking news 12 hours ago. You can also shield from trolls and spam much easier this way as well, making life as a MOD easier as well.

What say ye?

*EDIT: isulive2train deserves some credit for mentioning this in another thread. :p

Last edited:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
This is stupid. What if someone wants to sell their tickets, ask a question about the board, introduce themselves.

What if you have a parent or other family member of an athlete. Are you going to make exceptions for them or are you going to make them wait as well.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Could result in a new member spamming the boards until they reach the threshold.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
This is stupid. What if someone wants to sell their tickets, ask a question about the board, introduce themselves.

What if you have a parent or other family member of an athlete. Are you going to make exceptions for them or are you going to make them wait as well.

I agree. The mods do a good job of getting rid of the trolls. If there is a thread/response you have a problem with hit this:

report.gif

and tell them why.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Could result in a new member spamming the boards until they reach the threshold.

Make it so you can't post a thread the same day you join (or 2-7 days) and have a 10-25 post minimum.

Saying 100 is ridiculous on a board with such a limited focus, especially when football/basketball are not in season. All that will do is encourage people to post pointless replies to everything so they can get to this threshold faster. It would also create a level of elitism. This board is already getting bad enough with the grammar, repost, and let me google that for you police, we don't need post count egos to join in the mix.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Set it at 25-50, but referencing the point above, lower that threshhold in the ticket forum so that anyone can post a thread there.

Ive also been on other boards where this was implemented, and it worked well.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I propose that CF impose a 50-100 post limit before a member can create a new thread.

I have been a part of other forums that implement a rule where new members are not allowed to create threads until they have reached a certain number of posts, giving them a certain level of validity. I think that such a rule here could help clean up the content of the site. There are a lot of new users that join (which is fantastic) but may not understand message board etiquette or functions right away. They may not realize there is a search function, or that their 12-hour-old breaking news was actually already talked about when it was breaking news 12 hours ago. You can also shield from trolls and spam much easier this way as well, making life as a MOD easier as well.

What say ye?

*EDIT: isulive2train deserves some credit for mentioning this in another thread. :p

Unfortunately I think you are being serious. If you are that worried about new members not understanding etiquette and the search function, I'd suggest you find a hobby to occupy your time.

Reactions: Rolling Clones

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron