Idea: New Member Post Limit to Create a Thread

Should new threads only be started by members with 50-100+ posts?

• YES

Votes: 93 41.0%
  • NO

Votes: 134 59.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If a person is new and needs to sell a house in a thread, he should make a $25 donation to CF. I learned this from UT/OU thread.

WaverlyCy

Oct 12, 2010
I think I read posts for over a year before I started posting, and my first thread was one of the biggest threads I've ever started. I don't like the idea. The nice thing about having this community is we can easily decide what thought is a good one and what isn't, dismissing the bad threads quickly. Let the power of our communal voice speak...and by the way that doesn't mean being a **** on someone's thread. You don't like the thread, ignore it or be respectful. That is my opinion.

+1. POST LIMIT = BAD IDEA.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Make it so you can't post a thread the same day you join (or 2-7 days) and have a 10-25 post minimum.

Saying 100 is ridiculous on a board with such a limited focus, especially when football/basketball are not in season. All that will do is encourage people to post pointless replies to everything so they can get to this threshold faster. It would also create a level of elitism. This board is already getting bad enough with the grammar, repost, and let me google that for you police, we don't need post count egos to join in the mix.

Says the guy with less then 1,500 posts. :biglaugh::jimlad:

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I believe in the Natural Selection Theory of Threads. I don't care if there are 20 posts on the same topic, some will get replies and live on, some will quickly slip off the front page. Sorting through multiple posts on the same topic by reading the title or mousing over to read a few lines does not ruin my day.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I don't agree with this at all.

As some have noted, many people spend a long time visiting/reading the site before they actually join and then will even wait a little longer to post. I know I did. Aren't the mods on site responsible for patrolling the boards for anything that is out of line or has already been said? We shouldn't be discouraging people to post right away if they want to, because some people (myself included) don't post often and only provide input when they feel like it. New posters and new opinions are what make this board interesting, there are other ways to control trolls or crude threads outside of a making a limit. Just my thoughts.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Instead of a minimum number of posts--if we want to be restrictive, how about team affiliation?

We could ban any Hawk fan from posting.

JT88

Oct 7, 2009
Gotta get my post count up!! That way I can start another thread about the impending doom of the BIG XII!

Nevermind, I see I'm over the limit. Now to start that thread!!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I agree with this, not everyone has the time to live on here. It's a free board,
and has way too many volunteer moderators if you ask me.

I'll have you know that I didn't volunteer to be a mod. I got in the old fashioned way, with pure, honest nepotism.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
This is the dumbest thing I've heard. People can post whatever they want. The MODs do a great job in taking down trolls and what not, but some real Cyclone fans that just joined would like to speak too. I think it's dumb and don't think it'll ever happen.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
I'll have you know that I didn't volunteer to be a mod. I got in the old fashioned way, with pure, honest nepotism.

LOL, I didn't mean the "actual" moderators, I'm talking about the self appointed moderators, that don't know how to simply skip a thread, but read it anyway, and then take the time to make a snarky comment about the OP. That seems to be the real problem.

Reactions: LindenCy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This is the dumbest thing I've heard. People can post whatever they want. The MODs do a great job in taking down trolls and what not, but some real Cyclone fans that just joined would like to speak too. I think it's dumb and don't think it'll ever happen.

Not saying I agree with the post minimum, but from a purely Mod perspective, having a minimum post requirement to create threads would really help with trolls who create accounts and then immediately create stupid new threads.

For example, here's just a sample of some accounts that were banned for doing just that:

Now, what if I told you that they were all accounts created by the same user, in the span of a couple hours?

What a d-bag, right?

Reactions: Clones21