New Offense Looks

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can't play that game... "other than Breeces 75 and 40 yard runs..."

Other than the touchdowns we got, we only got a field goal. o_O

'Well they wouldn't have even gotten the lead without the pick 6.'

Like do people actually think 5 yards/carry is actually carrying the ball about 5 yards each time?

Sometimes you just gotta chip away and sonething breaks.

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Didn’t see a thread on this so I thought I’d start one.

Couple things I liked: Under center. Play action is an actual possibility if they continue to use this throughout the year. Tight ends. Don’t know if Dekkers didn’t like to use them or if Manning forgot about them, but loved the tight end play.

Dislikes: Line looks the same as previous years, unable to open up holes. Running game. Looks the same as previous years other than when Breece was the RB, but this stems from the line not opening up a ton of holes. Will say I was impressed with Abu Sama though, could he be the guy?
I agree with most of what you said I do have a huge disagreement. The play action from from under center. Play action isn’t any better or worse from shotgun or under center. The most explosive offense right now in football is the veer and shoot (Oregon, OU, Texas State, TCU) and it relies heavily on play action. Not to mention our play action stuff was great when Breece was here. Now I am glad we are going under center as it just gives more formations for the defense to pay attention to, just taking a stand for play action shotgun.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I agree with most of what you said I do have a huge disagreement. The play action from from under center. Play action isn’t any better or worse from shotgun or under center. The most explosive offense right now in football is the veer and shoot (Oregon, OU, Texas State, TCU) and it relies heavily on play action. Not to mention our play action stuff was great when Breece was here. Now I am glad we are going under center as it just gives more formations for the defense to pay attention to, just taking a stand for play action shotgun.

I disagree. It’s very different and ISU doesn’t have the personnel to run effective play-action from shotgun this year.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Thought we saw some good things. Can't judge too much since the second half was very bland but that was expected with a 30 point lead.
My only issue with the second half is the running backs in ability to hit the hole like they did in the first half. They all seemed to dance around too much after we got to 30 points

Reactions: isutrevman

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
OL will get better with time, Clanton has been at ISU for...6 months? We want to see growth and I bet it happens. They have game film now and can teach from that. It also sounds like UNI plays an uncommon defense. ISU doesn't spend months prepping for the UNI game like UNI does.

I think a big difference between Montgomery & Hall compared to the current RBs...those two just wouldn't run straight into the pile they had great vision. They saw holes develop and hit them rather then just running into a pile. They were quick enough to make those adjustments during plays and tough enough to shed a tackle or two for additional positive yardage.
And after watching the game again, there were a few extra holes there for the running backs. If they didn't run right into a pile that is. One play I remember, Sanders up the middle would have had a really good hole and run, if he would have just paused, made a quick cut slightly to the left, the hole was there, and it was big. Instead, he ran right into a pile. It was still a 4 yard gain or so, but could have been much more.

Now that I think about it, I'd love to see Sanders in the secondary! Maybe we will one of these times.

Reactions: khardbored

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
And after watching the game again, there were a few extra holes there for the running backs. If they didn't run right into a pile that is. One play I remember, Sanders up the middle would have had a really good hole and run, if he would have just paused, made a quick cut slightly to the left, the hole was there, and it was big. Instead, he ran right into a pile. It was still a 4 yard gain or so, but could have been much more.

Now that I think about it, I'd love to see Sanders in the secondary! Maybe we will one of these times.
I agree. Sanders does not appear to have progressed much from year 1. He really doesn't even look like a running back in his build. Maybe it's the #6, idk.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I feel like Rocco did really well taking what the defense gave him. Didn’t force things, didn’t appear to stare down WRs regularly. Really like using TEs in the passing game, got away from that last year
Agree with a lot of what you say here. Was busy yesterday and just finished watching the first 3 quarters. My offensive takes:

GOOD

- Super impressed with Becht. Very good pocket presence (his hop step to avoid a sack when being chased was Purdy-esque in execution and timing), quick release, and good decision making. Threw a very nice deep ball and appears to aim to hit the receivers in stride (good thing). Had a couple of near misses but I liked what I saw. I hope, unless we somehow get a big lead next week, Becht plays the entire game against Iowa and gets all (or Campbell's typical #1 rep amount) first team reps this week.
Another thing, not trying to bash on him, but JJ Kohl did not look like someone who was an early enrollee 4 star. That was brutal to watch.
I like Rocco, he played well and should be the starter now.

I do want to stand up for JJ some here though. Re-watching the game, he didn't look bad at all, really. A little awkward maybe, with his runs, but he wasn't afraid to run and actually has pretty decent speed for as big as he is. And while he didn't complete anything down field, there was nobody open, that I could tell (other than the 3-4 lateral passes he made, and those never work anyway). He maintained good composure, didn't throw it into coverage and wasn't afraid to stick his head in there and run!

I say he will still get some reps in the next couple of weeks. I can almost guarantee it. But of course, what do I know? :)

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Agree. It seemed like we got very few carries over 5+ yard carries.

If you take out Sama and Norton's long runs (26&17 yards), we averaged 3.6ypc. Not horrible, but we seemed to struggle getting yards to keep the sticks moving.

Seems to me that UNI was getting a better push from the line… but hopefully we were just going down the depth chart and keeping the playbook close to our chests… having said that, easily beating UNI isn’t something even our better teams have had luck with …

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't think you can compare what we're trying to do with those offenses. We've been horrible at play action in the shotgun. It's slow and nobody buys it. The play action under center at least has some misdirection with the ball handling. We've never used that. Becht still has some work to do on the fakes, but it's a new and much needed look.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I agree. Sanders does not appear to have progressed much from year 1. He really doesn't even look like a running back in his build. Maybe it's the #6, idk.
It's his straight up running style and lack of vision. He never finds the hole. Norton misses a lot too trying to press the hole and bounce. He doesn't have the Breece/Montgomery quickness/jump cut to make it work.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Another thing, not trying to bash on him, but JJ Kohl did not look like someone who was an early enrollee 4 star. That was brutal to watch.
I’m not sure what you were looking at. They were having him make short “safe” passes out onto the flat just to have him get some completions in game time under his belt—and UNI knew full well what they were doing, and were all over the wideouts.

That’s hardly JJ’s fault.

And he looked surprisingly good for his size running the ball.

Reactions: t-noah

Selmak The Tok'Ra

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2021
Part of the issue with the offense and the line is that these are very young units overall and the conditions on the field on Saturday were not great so I think those are important factors one has to take into consideration when evluating offensive performance from Saturday.

Going into the game on Saturday, I really expected it to be a 21-17, 17-14 kind of game and I did not expect the offense to click as well as it did when it did so given that we scored 30 and held them to 9, I have to say that I'm legitemately thrilled with how we did overall, especially with how phenomenal the special teams and defense were on Saturday.

Yes, the tepid pace of the offense in the 2nd half is a concern, but I think that's mainly due to lack of experience of a young unit, conditions on the field, and probably also Campbell rotating guys in and out so I don't think it's actually all that good of an indicator of a bad offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes, the tepid pace of the offense in the 2nd half is a concern, but I think that's mainly due to lack of experience of a young unit, conditions on the field, and probably also Campbell rotating guys in and out so I don't think it's actually all that good of an idicator of a bad offense.

I guess I didn't really think anything of the second half gameplan, other than it just being boring. It's what you want out of a first game; big lead, rotate the backups in and prevent injuries before the bigger games on the schedule. What MC has always wanted to do against UNI.