New Orleans

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, I'll be going to New Orleans in mid-April, purely to be a tourist and check out an old city I've never been to before.

Any tips or hints on things to see and do and places to eat?

I plan to stay in the Central Business District; close enough to walk to the French Quarter, but not right inside either where I would have to deal with the noise.

I'll be there for about three and a half days and four nights.

I already plan to check out the World War II museum and probably the zoo as well. I also think it would be fun to do a ghost tour at nighttime, but that's as far as I've thought ahead.

Thanks in advance!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I went a couple years after the hurricane. It’s not for me and I don’t care to go back. Some historical elements are pretty cool but it’s a nasty city by most accounts. Get ready to be shocked at how bad it smells.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I went a couple years after the hurricane. It’s not for me and I don’t care to go back. Some historical elements are pretty cool but it’s a nasty city by most accounts. Get ready to be shocked at how bad it smells.
This.

It is the worst American city I have been to, and I feel safer in Tijuana.

Do not just assume you are safe because you might be in a tourist area.

It seems you cannot escape the smell of urine, vomit, and alcohol.

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Get ready to be shocked at how bad it smells.
This is hyperbole at its finest. Did you go anywhere besides Bourbon Street?

That's the only place that really smells, I don't know what you'd expect though when it's been a a party spot for drunken idiots for decades now.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
That's the only place that really smells, I don't know what you'd expect though when it's been a a party spot for drunken idiots for decades now.

1386f0a975b6298bd9cc6601ed5e0745.jpg

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
French Quarter is fun for awhile but go to the none touristy districts, good people and damn good food. Like any other city there are bad parts but most of it is fine. Why you would live there is beyond me being below sea level but hey they keep rebuilding.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Great food. Recommend both Mr B Bistro and Carriage House. Will need reservations for both. Many bars will have good live bands.

Hard to disagree with others that NOLA is on the "dirty" side, but Bourbon Street is what it is. Anyone expecting yellow brink road cleanliness in a party area prob doesn't know how to have a good time anyway.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I love New Orleans but it is one of those 3 days and get out of their cities. Walk around the French Quarter during the day to take in the architecture. Get a Muffaletta at Central Grocery one day for lunch if you are OK with olives. Get an order of Beignets from Cafe Du Monde. You might want to spend a few hours in the warehouse district. It's a smaller, cleaner more laid-back area to the French Quarter. There are a million good places to eat so don't worry about this but I will admit that I believe that Crystal may saved my life one night after 3-for-1 happy hours. So many good things but I'd recommend not walking back to your hotel after dark.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and CyCrazy

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We used to go every year from 95-2005, in laws had a winter condo in Diamondhead, MS for 20+ years, about an hour east. They sold it when Katrina came through. Haven't been back since Feb 2006. We had a lot of fun doing the normal tourist things. French Quarter, French Market, Cafe du Monde, plantation tours, golf, etc. Be careful at night and don't walk too far off the path. Good drinks of course. Pat OBriens for a hurricane. Tropical Isle for a Handgrenade, I still have a button from there. My wife needed a nap after a couple of those. Great food too.

Attachments

• tropical-isle (1).jpg
    tropical-isle (1).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240225_191328.jpg
    20240225_191328.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This.

It is the worst American city I have been to, and I feel safer in Tijuana.

Do not just assume you are safe because you might be in a tourist area.

It seems you cannot escape the smell of urine, vomit, and alcohol.
I would take nola any day over Vegas. It’s a fun town. Lots of character. Yeah, you have to be a little careful and it’s not a clean place. Guess I’m not easily offended.