New Orleans

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I would take nola any day over Vegas. It’s a fun town. Lots of character. Yeah, you have to be a little careful and it’s not a clean place. Guess I’m not easily offended.

Pretty sure he lives in a little bubble that he doesnt dare venture out of.

Apr 22, 2023
I used to travel a lot to New Orleans, but it was all pre-Covid. I remember it as one of the best food cities.
Any of the Brennan's restaurants were outstanding. Also, K-Pauls and the Emeril restaurants (Emeril's, NOLA's, etc) and Commanders Palace.
The coffee is unique, they add chicory. Have a cafe ole and bignets at Cafe du Monde

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not sure how reputable the website is, but I saw Kansas City was #7 and St Louis was #1 in 2023 for murders per capita. Nobody will think twice going to conference tournaments to either place in a few weeks. Similarly, violence in New Orleans didn't cross my mind when I was there this summer.

Reactions: wxman1

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
If it is still around, Tipitina’s was a great bar/music venue. As I recall it is on a streetcar line that runs from Canal or St. Charles Street.

There’s a great men’s clothing store, Rubenstein’s across Canal Street from the Quarter, and behind it, on St. Charles, Meyer the Hatter is worth visiting if you like hats.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Go to Frenchman street, don’t go to bourbon street.

If you like architecture go to the Garden District and walk around.

If you have a few hours go do a bayou boat tour. Very cool.

WWII museum is impressive.

And I had my wife and kids out on a ghost tour at night in the French Quarter. When you start driving away from the tourist areas you’ll see pretty quickly where it’s likely crime ridden. French quarter and garden district are full of tourists walking around, so it seemed not too dangerous. Did see a guy taking a ****, but that was about as crazy as it got.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
New Orleans has great food off bourbon street. The town is a dump though (whole state is kind of dumpy). Walk bourbon street once just to see it. I think NO overrated and I don’t care to go back. I felt safe. I just don’t like the place.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This.

It is the worst American city I have been to, and I feel safer in Tijuana.

Do not just assume you are safe because you might be in a tourist area.

It seems you cannot escape the smell of urine, vomit, and alcohol.
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA. What a f*cking p*ssy.

@ISUChippewa, don't listen to little pud. New Orleans is an absolute treasure. It's one of America's great places, and one of the most unique cities on the planet. There is truly nowhere else on the planet that gets this same crossover of influences.

The food and drink are exceptional. It just doesn't end on that front. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Muffalettas at Central Grocery. Eat oysters wherever you find them. Eat po boys. Eat everything.

I'd strongly recommend a night on Frenchman Street, popping in and out of the jazz clubs, and just taking in the street music. The WWII museum is exceptional. One of the most fun afternoons my wife and I had there was taking the trolley to the Garden District and just wandering around the old cemeteries and bar hopping away from the craziness of the French Quarter, which truly doesn't sleep. I would get up in the morning and go for a run to sweat out the previous day's sins, and there would be people already hitting the bars at 7:30AM there as people hosed down the sidwalks and streets. Yeah, it does smell like vomit and piss on Bourbon Street at night. So what?

The only thing that keeps me from making an annual pilgrimage is the lack of outdoor recreation. As a city goes, it's just a blast.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Weird. I really liked New Orleans. The food was excellent. I never felt any safer/unsafer than any other major city but I never left the Quarters except to and from the airport.

Reactions: CloneLawman

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA. What a f*cking p*ssy.

@ISUChippewa, don't listen to little pud. New Orleans is an absolute treasure. It's one of America's great places, and one of the most unique cities on the planet. There is truly nowhere else on the planet that gets this same crossover of influences.

The food and drink are exceptional. It just doesn't end on that front. Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Muffalettas at Central Grocery. Eat oysters wherever you find them. Eat po boys. Eat everything.

I'd strongly recommend a night on Frenchman Street, popping in and out of the jazz clubs, and just taking in the street music. The WWII museum is exceptional. One of the most fun afternoons my wife and I had there was taking the trolley to the Garden District and just wandering around the old cemeteries and bar hopping away from the craziness of the French Quarter, which truly doesn't sleep. I would get up in the morning and go for a run to sweat out the previous day's sins, and there would be people already hitting the bars at 7:30AM there as people hosed down the sidwalks and streets. Yeah, it does smell like vomit and piss on Bourbon Street at night. So what?

The only thing that keeps me from making an annual pilgrimage is the lack of outdoor recreation. As a city goes, it's just a blast.

Reactions: Al_4_State

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I cannot remember the name of the tour but we did a “bar death tour” when I was there for a conference. I thought it was going to be cheesy but it was pretty good. It was a walking bar tour of small bars that were off Bourbon street. Each building had a murder or death by accident story and the bartender would serve their marquee cocktail. It ended in a goth bar where they served absinthe. The guy that lead it was fantastic and some of the stories were insane (bodies coming back to the surface in mud) . Fun way to sample some drink and food at some off the way establishments and learn a bit of history if you have a group.

I loved New Orleans and am trying to find a time to go back that’s not a 3 day conference.

Reactions: NWICY