New Top Loader Washing Machine

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
So, my front loader is crapping out, and Wifey-Poo is dead-set on getting a top loader. I'd like to stay under $500, if possible, as we are down to 1-1/2 kids and hopefully just one by next summer. I was looking for recommendations, and/or what to stay away from. Anybody? Anybody?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't have any information about washers but I'm interested in this half a kid thing, mine came out whole and he's a lot of work.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I don't have any information about washers but I'm interested in this half a kid thing, mine came out whole and he's a lot of work.

And the considerations on top half or bottom half will have an impact...brain but no butt (top half), we should be good. Butt but no brain....yeah, you're going to have laundry impacts, garn-teed.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And the considerations on top half or bottom half will have an impact...brain but no butt (top half), we should be good. Butt but no brain....yeah, you're going to have laundry impacts, garn-teed.
I guess that's where the new top load washer comes in.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I'm curious as to why you would move away from a front load.

Front loaders are more energy effecient (Mainly less water) and easier on your clothes.

I couldnt care less obviously but just odd to me why you would take a step back in technology

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

Front loaders are more energy effecient (Mainly less water) and easier on your clothes.

I couldnt care less obviously but just odd to me why you would take a step back in technology

Youll notice he said his wife wants the top load.

Women and technology don't really get along. :jimlad:

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
So, my front loader is crapping out, and Wifey-Poo is dead-set on getting a top loader. I'd like to stay under $500, if possible, as we are down to 1-1/2 kids and hopefully just one by next summer. I was looking for recommendations, and/or what to stay away from. Anybody? Anybody?

If you live near DSM and price is a major issue, you might want to check out the Habitat for Humanity's ReStore on Euclid.

They can have some great deals there if they happen to have what you are looking for. Looks like they just got some new probably slightly damaged appliances in but I only see front loaders in the picture.

ReStore Update - Scratch & dent appliances are back!!

Weekly Update - Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

It's not necessarily a step back in technology. if you get a high efficiency top loader, it will do fine compared to a front loader. Both are very energy efficient. Not to mention that front loaders are more prone to mold.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
They now have top load washers that are high efficiency, and yo can do a **** pile of laundry in them. We have an LG topload and love it. Aside from the occasional unbalanced load we love it. I like not having to bend over in an awkward fashion to get all of the laundry out of the back of the tumbler. I prefer it to a front load, and it does a great job.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

Daughter's heading back to ISU in a couple weeks, so I'm only expecting her to roll in every couple weeks with laundry, rather than every other day.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

Let's just say, it'll be easier on the wallet than a divorce.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It's not necessarily a step back in technology. if you get a high efficiency top loader, it will do fine compared to a front loader. Both are very energy efficient. Not to mention that front loaders are more prone to mold.

Main reason she wants a top-loader is that, if we leave clothes in the front loader overnight, they get a bad smell, and have to be rewashed. Never had that prob with a top. As for a second hand or reconditioned, I was told "absolutely not!" before I finished my sentence.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not to mention that front loaders are more prone to mold.
Not too bad anymore. People used to close the door on the gasket, and newer ones are made where you close it and a magnet keeps it open by a couple inches to air dry properly.
Aside from the occasional unbalanced load we love it. I like not having to bend over in an awkward fashion to get all of the laundry out of the back of the tumbler.
I've heard that complaint lately from a friend who wanted a new top loader and it does that all the time. It's really annoying them.
Still looking for input.
Just make sure you aren't directly looking at labels, look at the guts. I knew that our Kenmore's were re branded LG's and it saved us a few hundred.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Love my Fischer-Paykel top loader. Very unflashy, never had an unbalanced load, and I think it was around $500-ish.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My sister got a Maytag top loader and really likes it. It doesn't have the agitator, so it's like a front loader with respect to how much can fit into it.

Front loaders do have lots of problems. They start to STANK, and are expensive. The company line about the design flaw is to wipe it down every time and leave the door open.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Let's just say, it'll be easier on the wallet than a divorce.

If I called my wife "Wifey-Poo" regularly, it wouldn't matter what kind of washer we had...the D is on its way.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My sister got a Maytag top loader and really likes it. It doesn't have the agitator, so it's like a front loader with respect to how much can fit into it.

Front loaders do have lots of problems. They start to STANK, and are expensive. The company line about the design flaw is to wipe it down every time and leave the door open.

We just got something similar. Top load, high efficiency Maytag with no agitator. It's got a huge capacity but the energy star rating puts its energy/water cost of use at $13 bucks a year. It's done great so far. Takes a little longer to do a load, but not too bad. Maybe 40 min as opposed to 30 on our old one.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
i have a samsung top loader, ordered off the internet, no tax, semi dropped it at my driveway, i love it

front loaders downfall is:

1) main bearing goes out faster cause of downward gravity pressure

2) you have to buy stupid pedestals or bend over more to get clothes in and out

3) they hold less clothes

4) both types are the same effieciency as technology has helped both types.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron