New volunteer coach

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
I don't think I've seen this posted, but we have a new volunteer coach from Sunnyside HS in Arizona, which i think has produced top talent in the past. His name is FERNANDO VILLAESCUSA, his son just won a AZ state title as a sophomore and his daughter is ranked in the top 3 in her class in the senior girls rankings. I think the Gallick boys were from Sunnyside. Just thought it was interesting, sorry if this is old news.

Reactions: Cycsk

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I've seen Coach Villaescusa around campus quite a bit, helping out Bastida. Hopefully, having him on staff will open up a bit of a SW pipeline.

Fernando Jr. lost in the Semis to Mooberry of Osage who was the eventual champ. Personally, I thought Fernando Jr. had Mooberry towards the end. At the very least Fernando gassed Mooberry pretty good.

Mooberry is headed to NDSU in the Fall.

I'm guessing Fernando Jr. is a good bet for a state title this coming season and have heard he's a pretty big ISU lean, for obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I've seen Coach Villaescusa around campus quite a bit, helping out Bastida. Hopefully, having him on staff will open up a bit of a SW pipeline.

Fernando Jr. lost in the Semis to Mooberry of Osage who was the eventual champ. Personally, I thought Fernando Jr. had Mooberry towards the end. At the very least Fernando gassed Mooberry pretty good.

Mooberry is headed to NDSU in the Fall.

I'm guessing Fernando Jr. is a good bet for a state title this coming season and have heard he's a pretty big ISU lean, for obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next few years.
That match was terrible from an officiating standpoint. The Osage kid either backed off the mat on their feet or crawled off the mat when on bottom, yet Villaescusa is the one who got hit for stalling and it cost him a point. The better wrestler lost.