New wrestling facility put on hold - Jamie Pollard statement

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Not sure I'd be spending big money on any non-revenue sports right now. They may very well not exist in 10 years.
Agreed. ROI needs to be one of the biggest, if not THE biggest driver of spending, going forward.

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Video & full quotes in the story!

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There's absolutely no way that this isn't something they've taken into consideration. Too much money riding on it to let something like projected viewership slip past their notice. If the Big 10/SEC move forward with the Big 2, it will be because they have solid data backing the decision. They're definitely not dumb. You don't drop a nuke on the college sports landscape without being very sure that you're going to come out the other side in as good or better of a position.
Never underestimate the conceit of the very, very conceited.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
There's absolutely no way that this isn't something they've taken into consideration. Too much money riding on it to let something like projected viewership slip past their notice. If the Big 10/SEC move forward with the Big 2, it will be because they have solid data backing the decision. They're definitely not dumb. You don't drop a nuke on the college sports landscape without being very sure that you're going to come out the other side in as good or better of a position.
I think they said the same thing about the NBA and MLB and viewership has tanked. Careful how you handle your fans, especially college. College is still and always will be a regional sport.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
$20-30 million a year to pay the athletes. This is a sign that you see men’s Olympic sports get cut all over the country.

Not sure I'd be spending big money on any non-revenue sports right now. They may very well not exist in 10 years.

This is not getting enough of the attention that it should. Several ADs have alluded to it and some have come out and said that Olympic sports will need to be cut. And that is for those of us in a semi decent position. The UNIs of the world might as well be Coe at this point.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Lots of countries have lost wars thinking they have it all figured out. Maybe you are correct that there are enough viewers that will watch whatever is in front of them I'll just disagree with you on that. For FB I already prefer pro over 99% of the college games. And we've been told repeatedly no other sport count, so I'll watch the BB games I want and not worry about the rest.
To be blunt I'm tired enough of all of it, John &Eric on the radio will be good enough for me. Maybe I'm the exception but the older I've got the less I care about sports in general. The younger generation would rather play a video game than watch or attend a game.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
I think they said the same thing about the NBA and MLB and viewership has tanked. Careful how you handle your fans, especially college. College is still and always will be a regional sport.
And yet NBC, Apple and Amazon want a piece of the NBA pie. They aren’t hurting for $$. Unfortunately we are in a tough spot with the Olympic type sports.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lots of countries have lost wars thinking they have it all figured out. Maybe you are correct that there are enough viewers that will watch whatever is in front of them I'll just disagree with you on that. For FB I already prefer pro over 99% of the college games. And we've been told repeatedly no other sport count, so I'll watch the BB games I want and not worry about the rest.
To be blunt I'm tired enough of all of it, John &Eric on the radio will be good enough for me. Maybe I'm the exception but the older I've got the less I care about sports in general. The younger generation would rather play a video game than watch or attend a game.
I am by no means saying that it's a slam dunk. I'm just saying that we shouldn't hang our hopes on the Big10/SEC overlooking something like the potential loss of viewers that a move might cause. I guarantee you they will have run the numbers for as many conceivable scenarios as they can, including one that doesn't include a single eyeball from a non-Power 2 school fanbase. And if they proceed, it's because they strongly believe those numbers will end up in their favor. Yes, there are incidents of hubris toppling the mighty, but statistically, the big guys of this world win a lot more than they lose.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
And yet NBC, Apple and Amazon want a piece of the NBA pie. They aren’t hurting for $$. Unfortunately we are in a tough spot with the Olympic type sports.
Because the NBA has grown the sport. They’ve promoted it internationally, improved parity across the league, and established development programs to improve the game.

College football is consolidating an already regional product. The only regions that care about the sport are the south and the Midwest. The Northeast couldn’t care less and the west coast barely cares.

I’ve said it before, but people claim “well more people are watching the sport than ever before.” That’s simply not true. Look at TV ratings for the national championship game(s) compared to 20, 30, 40 years ago.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

The rate they are going they are going to cut the bottom half their conferences and have one 16 team league. Its about the money and that is it at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Help Support Us

Become a patron