Niang and Hogue

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
On a positive note, it doesn't appear Georges will be going pro this year....

Anybody who actually thought this was going to happen is delusional..Thats including Georges if he thought he could leave after his Junior year. Georges is a four year player. I understand injuries can happen, but if Georges can stay healthy through next year he will get drafted. Getting drafted after this year wasn't going to happen.

32Cyclone Fan

Jan 31, 2008
Then this is still a case of Niang not thinking. McKay shouldn't be getting the ball here. McKay is the worst free-throw shooter on the team, and even if he wasn't the window to throw that ball is small as ****. There is no reason to pass that ball in-bounds, period. That isn't on Fred, that isn't on McKay, it is 110% on Niang.

You apparently haven't seen the last five games as McKay has been by far the best free throw option in those five games. Mc Kay has made 38 of 49 (8-9, 13-18, 3-6, 9-10, 5-6) free throws in the last five games for 77.6% while all the rest of the team are 46-68 for 67.7%.

Niang wasn't thinking in that situation for the last two games in a row. I read Fred said he would do it again, put the ball in his best players hands. Apparently that isn't working. I never have criticized Fred's decisions before and I have followed his play at ISU and 10 years in the NBA and he is awesome. If he wants to put the ball in his best players hands then his player with the best assist to turnover ratio in the country should have been passing the ball in IMO. MM could then have passed it to Georges to let him work his Magic. That same inbound play cost the Cyclones at the end of the last two games.

Last edited:

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
On a positive note, it doesn't appear Georges will be going pro this year....

At this point of the season 2 years ago, Royce White wasn't going pro either. And then we played Kentucky in the tourney and he was by far the most talented player on the floor. Next thing you know, he gone.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
At this point of the season 2 years ago, Royce White wasn't going pro either. And then we played Kentucky in the tourney and he was by far the most talented player on the floor. Next thing you know, he gone.

Pretty sure many were discussing Royce going pro well before this point in the season. Right around his triple double with the flu game if I remember correctly.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
Pretty sure many were discussing Royce going pro well before this point in the season. Right around his triple double with the flu game if I remember correctly.

I agree there was talk of it. But seems to me he showed flashes of brilliance, but not consistently every game. He definitely saved his best for the end of the year.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
In fact, as I looked back, in the month of February 2 years ago, Royce had games where he only scored 3, 4, and 5 points. Not the type of stats that boast 1st rounder.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
When Hogue tries to do too much it gets him into trouble. He should have a 2 dribble limit.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
In fact, as I looked back, in the month of February 2 years ago, Royce had games where he only scored 3, 4, and 5 points. Not the type of stats that boast 1st rounder.

Well, to compare him to Georges Niang who's an every award in the world finalist...

White averaged 1 point less than Niang does now, but 1.5 more assist per game, 4 more rebounds, and turned the ball over just 1 more time than Niang as a Point Forward.

He also had 7 assists in his 3 point game. And following that game went for 15 and 12 against Nash and Okie State

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
to be fair, on the 10 second call he did call a timeout but it was a bad call by the ref.

Ref did not blow the call. Cyclones ****** away four seconds with Hogue and Morris almost turning the ball over in the inbounds.

Dumb of Hoiberg not to tell everyone in huddle that we only had 6 seconds left to get ball over midcourt.

Refs actually gave us a couple extra seconds. Should have been turnover at 25 seconds, not 21 seconds.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Ref did not blow the call. Cyclones ****** away four seconds with Hogue and Morris almost turning the ball over in the inbounds.

Dumb of Hoiberg not to tell everyone in huddle that we only had 6 seconds left to get ball over midcourt.

Refs actually gave us a couple extra seconds. Should have been turnover at 25 seconds, not 21 seconds.

Um, no. You get 10 seconds in that situation

cyclimate

Jul 18, 2014

Ball had been knocked out of bounds running 4 seconds off the clock. ISU inbounded again at 31 seconds. They called it when it had been 10 seconds. He had been signalling for timeout before the 10 second call. But either it was not seen or granted.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Hogue is the poster boy for 'letting offensive struggles affect the rest of your game'. Seems like suddenly the last two games he's decided to be /or has been put into a situation where he's suddenly a completely different player. What's with all the driving from the 3 pt line, between the legs dribbling, trying to make a tough pass (ie throwing the ball away)?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Hogue is the poster boy for 'letting offensive struggles affect the rest of your game'. Seems like suddenly the last two games he's decided to be /or has been put into a situation where he's suddenly a completely different player. What's with all the driving from the 3 pt line, between the legs dribbling, trying to make a tough pass (ie throwing the ball away)?
I posted this in the other thread:

You think is a coincidence that Hogue has trouble feeding the post? That is usually a guard/small forward duty. However, Hogue is now forced to move outside and play the 3 because we can't have McKay, Hogue, and Niang all clogging the lane at the same time. Think back to early in the season and tell me how often Hogue fed the post. That's right. Zero.

Him being outside as much as he has been lately is really hurting his game. It works great whenn he is hitting 3-pointers, but takes away his rebounding, inside game, and forces him to make way more passes than what he is accustomed to.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

?

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Senioritis.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The one thing that stands out in box score is 13 turnovers last night. Hogue and Niang responsible for 9.

That and lack of minutes from BDJ and Nader

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
These guys have come up big for us many times over their career, so I have a hard time being too hard on them, but the thing I've noticed all year is we have a tenancy to over pass. Fred always preaches making the simple play, and especially the last few games I've seen way too much lob, behind the back, etc. Just make the easy play.

sportster40

Feb 14, 2015
These guys have come up big for us many times over their career, so I have a hard time being too hard on them, but the thing I've noticed all year is we have a tenancy to over pass. Fred always preaches making the simple play, and especially the last few games I've seen way too much lob, behind the back, etc. Just make the easy play.

YES! Just play basketball. Obviously not lacking on the talent side. Like the unselfish mindset but there are many times each game where we give up possessions trying to make more pass. Hard to get upset with the intent, but also hard to see so many missed opportunities.