Nick Saban retiring

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
ESPN reporting Deboer is "negotiating" with Alabama.
Wow

Same info now via McMurphy
This likely doesn't leak out unless it's basically a done deal

Seems like a real dumb move for him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That's a kick in the nuts to UW.

I know he's done well everywhere he's been, but I just don't see the "fit" in Tuscaloosa.

Maybe he's just that good and Alabama's legend is just too big at this point to fail.

Of course, that has its downsides... following a legend and all that.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Well guess I was wrong. Bailing on Washington after making the Championship game is certainly a choice.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Anyone else ready for the Campbell to Washington rumors that will inevitably be floated in the next few days?
Well they reportedly offered him $7M/year when they hired Deboer.
Is a new AD though, but it's Troy Dannen, who was at UNI and then Tulane.
I don't think we need to worry but might be keeping an eye on it..

Gotta think Washington gives Ryan Grubb a good look though, if he doesn't follow Deboer to Alabama

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Anyone else ready for the Campbell to Washington rumors that will inevitably be floated in the next few days?

You might remember that Washington actually wanted Campbell but settled for DeBoer.

Reactions: ISUCubswin

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Ehhh....times have changed since Bear Bryant for goodness sake. I wouldn't assume that just because he turned it around that it will be as easy to turn it around the next time. One only needs to look at Nebraska to realize that things are very different. I don't think Alabama will fall to Nebraska levels. But I do think it's very possible that this is the end of them as a dynasty and they fall to a Mississippi or A&M or Tennessee type of level.
My serious relply to counter my Katy Perry Reply. I just wanted to post that song and make fun of Ole Miss!

I fully realize it is a different Era than when Bryant was hired, when Stallings was hired and even when Saban was hired. I also know and expect Alabama to step back from being as dominant as they have been in the Saban Era. ONLY Kirby Smart could keep this train rolling, and he is not leaving Athens, GA.

I've been following Alabama Football for a long, lone time, as I went to my first game in 1971 @ Denny Stadium before it was renamed-Byant-Denny Stadium, before the double decks - when it held 60,000 fans. I've been to Alabama games coached by Bryant, Perkins, Stallings, DuBose, Francione, Shula and Saban. I only missed the Curry Era. Never made it to one of his games. I've seen Alabama go from being 12-0 National Champions in 1979 (I went to the Sugar Bowl to cap it off!) under Bryant to 5-6 under Ray Perkins in 1984 and from 1992 13-0 National Champions under Gene Stallings to 4-7 in 1997 under Mike DuBose. So, I am really aware of how the program can fall in a short period of time.

My only point is that in the past 99 years since Alabama finished 10-0 and won the Rose Bowl in the 1925 season with Hall of Famer Wallace Wade at the helm, the Tide has had two serious down periods and one mild drop (between Bryant and Stallings), and they made a point of hiring a top coach to rescue them two times (Bryant and Saban) and got lucky with Stallings the third time. They just do not have long periods of mediocrity, because they FIX IT. Even what seemed like forever between Stallings retiring after 1996 and Saban being hired in 2007 was only an 11 year stretch that still included an SEC Championship (1999), and three 10 win seasons (1999, 2002 and 2005) and a Cotton Bowl win over Texas Tech (Mike Leach). They didn't just diappear even though they were not National Championshiping.

Not sure if you have ever been to a game there or not. If you have, I hope you had a great time and would love to hear about it. :) If you haven't, you should check it out. Make sure you go to the Bryant Museum and walk through Campus (it is beautiful) and enjoy the hell out of an Alabama Crimson Tide Football Gameday!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Bummer for Washington because I think he really could have built something special there.
They have a great option for a replacement, as long as they recruiting class doesn’t take too many hits they should be fine. The timing of brining in a new HC and QB is not ideal.

Their schedule next year is also pretty difficult which also makes things complicated for a new coach.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Well guess I was wrong. Bailing on Washington after making the Championship game is certainly a choice.
They lose a lot and his recruiting classes actually aren't that impressive, especially going into the B1G. Likely a big step back next year.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If (big if) he can adjust to the SEC world off the field, DeBoer will win a lot at Bama. Obviously the bar for success is so skewed from Saban, but if they can recruit at a top 5-10 level still they be consistently competing for SEC championship games and playoff appearances

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
So according to you, without Saban, Alabama will become just another team? You are blowing about colleges close to NFL cities, when it does not matter a bit. No GM ever thought, man we better not draft that kid from the South because he may not play up here because of the cold.
I suppose Miami might as well not come up to KC tomorrow and just forfeit because they play games in warm weather and have no clue how to play in cold, when though they go to Buffalo and NE every season.

Bottom line, Alabama will be fine, not as dominate without Saban, but not Arkansas or some school like that.

At this point I'm seriously questioning whether you can even read. I never stated or even insinuated I thought that Bama would become "just another program".

What I did say, and will continue to say, is that I think...all things being equal, there are better jobs to have for all of the reasons I listed. I did say that, by far, the biggest reason for Bama's successes have been Bryant and Saban rather than the school/program itself. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you to wrap your head around that.

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron