Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Given that he's been the coach for 20 years, wouldn't something have come out before now if these allegations are true?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I don't want to pass judgment too soon, buuuuut isn't Fennelly kind of a **** to all of his players regardless of race?

That was my first thought as well. But I'll wait and see what comes out regarding the complaints and administrations response.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
sounds more like her WNBA contract didn't work out

Moody led the Cyclones with 14.5 points and 6.8 assists per game in 2014-15. She was drafted 33rd overall by the San Antonio Stars in the 2015 WNBA Draft but was cut soon thereafter.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not guessing this gets much traction legally since other then maybe one other player I don't think she will get much support. Guy is tough on everyone. You can even argue he is an ***-hole but I don't think you can make a case that it is about race. Even if this is resolved with ISU/Bill 100% innocent it can maybe get Bill's fired (Connie Yori) or destroy the program (Illinois).

Priceless that this coming from a gal who, with the help for some of her buddies, ran off a freshman gal (who just also happened to be black ). Bill should have tossed her off the team back then but he sold out because she gave him the best chance to win. Apparently she wasn't content to be a cancer on the team while she was here she is intent on continuing to try and destroy the program. She is arguably the worst thing that ever happened to ISU WBB.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Even if the lawsuit doesn't hold up (which I don't think it will), this won't be good for the program. That type of accusation doesn't wash off easily.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Given that he's been the coach for 20 years, wouldn't something have come out before now if these allegations are true?

Probably not the most bulletproof logic, considering how long the issues at Penn State carried on before being leaked out, the current prep school scandals on the East coast (just now letting go faculty members who committed sexual assault and molestation of students in the 70s, 80s, 90s), and NCAA investigations like the UNC Academics issue which goes all the way back to 2002.

That said, Fennelly has a reputation of being a hard-*** on the court and great to players off the court. He's not going to jive with everyone all the time or even a majority of the time. His job is to put the best players on the court that he can in order to win games, and help develop young women into successful adults on and off the court. But the young women have to play along as well and do their part to heed advice, listen to criticism, etc.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm good friends with a few of his early tenure players and the things they say about him are really really bad. One messaged me today saying 'finally someone is calling him out on this...been happening since 1995'.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
The question has to be, did he treat Moody and other black players differently than he treated the other players. It's not a question of if he was a jerk or not, its whether that attitude was applied equally across the board. It'll be a very difficult thing to prove I'd think, especially with the nature of coaching and being tough on kids.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
No matter what happens, this isn't good. I've heard how much of an ******* he can be on the court numerous times, but I've never heard that it was different for any group of players. I'm also one that wouldn't argue with the idea that maybe Fennelly's time has come and gone but this isn't coming from someone I'm going to jump to believe right away, especially with some of the things she's done to other players.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Good God, someone else crying racist when something didn't go their way. Coach Fennelly has had plenty of black players and I don't think this has ever come up before.