Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The question has to be, did he treat Moody and other black players differently than he treated the other players. It's not a question of if he was a jerk or not, its whether that attitude was applied equally across the board. It'll be a very difficult thing to prove I'd think, especially with the nature of coaching and being tough on kids.

Exactly...and "differently" doesn't mean minutes played. I get coaches can be tough, cuss, yell,punish...but it better not be based on race or other protected classes.

I think more of this stuff will happen as things are changing in society. I remember in high school one of our football teams played terribly and the coach stopped the bus outside of town and made the team run a mile in...now days that person would be canned immediately.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
As others are saying, whether true or not, this does not look good. On the surface it would be more believable if it were coming from a different player, but that doesn't mean it is not true.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I'm good friends with a few of his early tenure players and the things they say about him are really really bad. One messaged me today saying 'finally someone is calling him out on this...been happening since 1995'.

She could have started for the majority of any D1 team. If she really had it that rough, why didn't she take the opportunity to get out. Same goes for this girl that messaged you.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm good friends with a few of his early tenure players and the things they say about him are really really bad. One messaged me today saying 'finally someone is calling him out on this...been happening since 1995'.

Racial discrimination or player abuse? Big difference when it comes to this lawsuit.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Given that he's been the coach for 20 years, wouldn't something have come out before now if these allegations are true?

This line of argument is just so flawed. There are just so many examples out there why this isn't a legitimate argument.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Here's what I think. Fennelly is a great coach. He is a hard coach though. I don't think it would be a good situation for me, I don't know because I never had to make a decision about it, but that doesn't mean he treats people inappropriately. Fennelly is not like Fred or Prohm but not everyone has to be that way or should be that way.

Moody always seemed to have an attitude problem. Unless something more comes out I think this is just an attempt to get money.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I quickly scrolled thru the Fernstrom thread to refresh my opinion on some posters. This will be interesting.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
She could have started for the majority of any D1 team. If she really had it that rough, why didn't she take the opportunity to get out. Same goes for this girl that messaged you.

I posed this same question to my friend. She said 'i ****ing hated him but didn't transfer. I love everything else about Iowa State and transferring just isn't as easy as people think. I wasn't wanting to sit out a year, postpone my graduation, etc.'

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Maybe someone here more connected to the women's program can dig up some of the threads and stories surrounding Moody. I thought I remembered some talk about her around the time she was suspended how it was related to her attitude of being a me-first player instead of what was best for the team and how her junior year she was upset because she wanted to be the primary scorer on the team and the staff wanted her to be pass first PG. Because of that disagreement over her role her and that is where the tension between her and Bill started because she wanted to dictate the role she played and not what the staff wanted her role to be. It's interesting she mentions Chassidy Cole yet is sounds like she doesn't want to be involved with this so the only way Nikki proves any of her claims are true is if former teammates and coaches step forward and can validate the claims she is making otherwise it's all he said/she said arguments.

There is not doubt Bill can be vocal and hard on his players but it seems like most of them have a hard time holding back tears when they are thanking him for all that he has done and taught them on senior night. If Bill was racist and discriminates why are we seeing more African American players committing to play here lately than we have in the past? When I went to ISU I can only remember just 2 African American players that played for ISU during those 4 years and that was Desiree Francis and Nina Smith. I don't think Smith even played a game at ISU, she transferred to ISU after playing at Wisconsin then quit because of back problems I believe. We've come a long ways as I count 4 African American players on this year's roster and there were 7 on last year's.

I did find this piece that kind of hashed some of the problems Moody and BF dealt with when she got suspended: http://amestrib.com/sports/women-s-...oody-fennelly-worked-make-her-isu-s-go-player To me I think this lawsuit sounds like Moody is still bitter over never becoming a huge star that she felt she should be and not always getting her way and now this is her way to get back at coach. Seems like the new norm in sports these days is no self-accountability with the players themselves. If they don't get enough playing time or if they don't become the star they feel they are it's not their fault it has to be the coach's fault. These kids get told how great they are during recruiting then have a hard time adjusting and accepting it when they aren't the best player playing in the game anymore at the college level.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I actually thought that might happen back when Jess Scholl quit mid-season and called him out.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I heard this was in the works about 9-10 months ago. Moody has tried to recruit other former players to support her lawsuit and those I knew about wanted no part of it. Much of this goes back to when Moody was a Soph and she and another classmate harassed a freshman player. She is what she is and even though she is the assists leader that doesn't make her a better person. I can only imagine what the record could have looked like if she had put the attitude away and been a team member.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
As others are saying, whether true or not, this does not look good. On the surface it would be more believable if it were coming from a different player, but that doesn't mean it is not true.

And where was the AD during this? What controls are in place to prevent abuse or these types of allegations?

Not pointing fingers by any stretch, but what polices and procedures does our school have in place and were they not followed?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He's tough. I've heard some bad stuff (nothing crazy just that he can kind of be an *******) and I've heard lots of good things.

Obviously he and Nikki always had issues.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I posed this same question to my friend. She said 'i ****ing hated him but didn't transfer. I love everything else about Iowa State and transferring just isn't as easy as people think. I wasn't wanting to sit out a year, postpone my graduation, etc.'

It's funny because I know a former player of BF's who would sacrifice her first born for BF. She loves the guy and I've never heard her say a bad thing about him (in 12 years of knowing her).

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yikes. This is a really bad look for ISU. If this is true I would hope he gets fired quickly. Not even just the racist stuff but even just berating players. There is no use for it. You can be a very successful coach without being a complete ****.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is the type of situation where you can really look foolish if you jump to conclusions and speak your mind one way or another... I think it'd be best to let this play out before commenting.

The only thing I'll agree with is that nothing good will come out of this, regardless of the outcome as far as Iowa State is concerned.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron