Nikki Moody sues Bill Fennelly over Racial Discrimination...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I wasn't able to read this one (I'm over my free allotment of page views) but I've read things written by him in the past and have come away largely unimpressed with his ability to write a coherent piece. He appeared to have an agenda, and based on AuH20's comments that has not changed.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
He simply can't separate the fact that BF is sued for racial discriminations not because of his coaching style.

This is getting ridiculous: some people don't like him because of his style. Fine, his style is not for everyone. But this is not the same as racism.

Last edited:

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
People need to keep in mind that the jury will not necessarily be sports fans. So when this board hears a story about a coach telling a player to ___________, we might laugh or relate it back to an old high school coach that said something similar to us or a teammate and think that's something that all players go through. Someone who has little interest in sports might hear the same thing and think the coach is just a jerk.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
People need to keep in mind that the jury will not necessarily be sports fans. So when this board hears a story about a coach telling a player to ___________, we might laugh or relate it back to an old high school coach that said something similar to us or a teammate and think that's something that all players go through. Someone who has little interest in sports might hear the same thing and think the coach is just a jerk.

I have quite a bit of interest in sports, and have been around many coaches. I'm not a huge fan of the yelling style of coaching but I can still differentiate between unilateral yelling and racist epithets. It's true that juries can be swayed by emotion over fact, but you seem to be discounting the fact that there will be two teams of lawyers at any trial that arises from Moody's suit.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

This might be BF's advantage: he might be considered a jerk to some people but he does it to everyone regardless of race. And I hope the jury will remember he is on trial for racism not his coaching style.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st.../2016/04/19/s-time-isus-fennelly-go/83235970/

Retired ISU journalism prof chimes in calling for Fennelly's head

Just what we need. Some tweed jacket-variety dooosh giving us his 2 cents. Maybe he should write a hit-piece editorial on Fran McCaffrey, who berates his players in public constantly

This is the type of guy who ends up on the Ames City Council and stifles economic growth, while Ankeny, Waukee, Coralville--explode the last 10-15 years
I don't remember. Is this the guy that complained about the sirens at the football games?

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
I have quite a bit of interest in sports, and have been around many coaches. I'm not a huge fan of the yelling style of coaching but I can still differentiate between unilateral yelling and racist epithets. It's true that juries can be swayed by emotion over fact, but you seem to be discounting the fact that there will be two teams of lawyers at any trial that arises from Moody's suit.

You're right in that the Attorney General's office will be there and if who is assigned to the case that is typically assigned to these types of cases, that person is equally as good as the plaintiffs attorneys. And certainly there's a wealth of information that is negative to Nikki's case that has already been pointed out in this thread.

I probably am playing a bit of devils advocate here.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Boy, that article doesn't speak very well for the journalism program at ISU. That is weak.

Help us understand the poor reflection on the Greenlee School of Journalism based on this op piece.

I read nothing wrong with this read and neither endorse nor rebuke his stance. I think what he's doing is sharing another angle on the story that people may not have heard or remember. Doubtful that many remember the incident he's referring to and surely people wouldn't have been privy to the response he got for something he wrote back then.

Again, it's an opinion piece...meaning it's his opinion.

All that being said, my family and some friends were some of the first season ticket holders behind the bench when BF came to ISU. Some, including my relatives, gave them up last year...in part because of being tired of listening to him and watching his antics. Doesn't mean he's wrong...but it does add merit to the argument that he's a bit of an ***.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I don't remember. Is this the guy that complained about the sirens at the football games?
I remember him pitching a fit last summer because Prohm professes Christianity...don't know if he was the nutjob that thought people would actually believe there were tornados during the football games.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
You're right in that the Attorney General's office will be there and if who is assigned to the case that is typically assigned to these types of cases, that person is equally as good as the plaintiffs attorneys. And certainly there's a wealth of information that is negative to Nikki's case that has already been pointed out in this thread.

I probably am playing a bit of devils advocate here.

Got it. :)

You did seem to be highly favoring the skills of the plaintiff's team. ;)

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Help us understand the poor reflection on the Greenlee School of Journalism based on this op piece.

I read nothing wrong with this read and neither endorse nor rebuke his stance. I think what he's doing is sharing another angle on the story that people may not have heard or remember. Doubtful that many remember the incident he's referring to and surely people wouldn't have been privy to the response he got for something he wrote back then.

Again, it's an opinion piece...meaning it's his opinion.

All that being said, my family and some friends were some of the first season ticket holders behind the bench when BF came to ISU. Some, including my relatives, gave them up last year...in part because of being tired of listening to him and watching his antics. Doesn't mean he's wrong...but it does add merit to the argument that he's a bit of an ***.

I don't know if I would give up tickets - are they there to watch the game or the coach? I would just move to a different section if the coach annoyed me that much. :)

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
....but it does add merit to the argument that he's a bit of an ***.

But he's not being sued for being an ***. He's being sued for being a racist ***. I've been frequently criticized on this board for pointing out that BF's "style" goes way beyond "coaching hard." But I'm inclined to agree with others that if **** Hawes is agin him, then I am fer him, at least in this context.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I wasn't able to read this one (I'm over my free allotment of page views) but I've read things written by him in the past and have come away largely unimpressed with his ability to write a coherent piece. He appeared to have an agenda, and based on AuH20's comments that has not changed.

Summary:

I told you all five years ago that Bill is an ***. This lawsuit proves it. I told you so; Na-ner Na-ner!

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa

This will vary if you are using Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer, but the page views are simply "cookies" from your browsing history. So if you put your browser in a mode to not keep track of that you can read ten articles, close your browser, and then re-open and read 10 more. It works for most news sites like DMR.

chrome: ctrl-shift-n
explorer: ctrl-shift-p
mozilla: ctrl-shift-p
...or for chrome or mozilla, can also right click on link and select "open link in incognito/private window".

I ended up getting a DMR online subscription out of guilt, but if you want to see a few extra articles it is quite simple.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This will vary if you are using Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer, but the page views are simply "cookies" from your browsing history. So if you put your browser in a mode to not keep track of that you can read ten articles, close your browser, and then re-open and read 10 more. It works for most news sites like DMR.

chrome: ctrl-shift-n
explorer: ctrl-shift-p
mozilla: ctrl-shift-p
...or for chrome or mozilla, can also right click on link and select "open link in incognito/private window".

I ended up getting a DMR online subscription out of guilt, but if you want to see a few extra articles it is quite simple.

Or can you simply clear your cookies when you reach the limit?

tumblr_m9mqvoOsEX1rol1w1.gif

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st.../2016/04/19/s-time-isus-fennelly-go/83235970/

Retired ISU journalism prof chimes in calling for Fennelly's head

Just what we need. Some tweed jacket-variety dooosh giving us his 2 cents. Maybe he should write a hit-piece editorial on Fran McCaffrey, who berates his players in public constantly

This is the type of guy who ends up on the Ames City Council and stifles economic growth, while Ankeny, Waukee, Coralville--explode the last 10-15 years

Would Fennelly be hired to coach at ISU today? In a word: No.
Is it time for Fennelly to go? In a word: Yes.
**** Haws of Ames is a retired journalism professor at Iowa State University.

If anybody knows **** please let him know that it was clearly time for HIM to go as well. What a horrible article; especially as it relates to the subject at hand. His article years ago discussed a butt-hurt player who didn't like CBF coaching style. Fine. BUT IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BEING A RACIST YOU F'NG MORON!!!! Clearly it was time for **** to go.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
He simply can't separate the fact that BF is sued for racial discriminations not because of his coaching style.

This is getting ridiculous: some people don't like him because of his style. Fine, his style is not for everyone. But this is not the same as racism.

This. This exactly. I have yet to see or hear anything that makes me think BF is legitimately a racist, and those are the grounds on which Moody is suing him for.