NIU, obvious top 25 team....

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa fans shouldn't expect the defense to play as well as last Saturday, but Iowa State fans shouldn't expect Iowa's offense to be as bad, either. All in all, I think it is a close, hard fought game. Fueled by the Kinnick crowd, Iowa gets the stops they need in the 4th quarter to win 27-24 and screw everyone who picked Iowa to cover at -3.5/-4.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
If I was a hawk fan I would be more worried about the UNI game. They were more impressive in the loss to WI that ISU was in the win over Tulsa and there is nothing worse than a loss to UNI. That is why I wish ISU would drop the series. If you beat them, so what, if you loose you are the laughing stock of the country because you lost to a lower level team.

As far as NIU have the best defense that Iowa will see all year, boy are they in for a surprise if they actually believe that. BTW, NIU might be the worst offense they see all year. Of course there are some pretty bad teams in the Big 10.

To your points.

Iowa will have to worry about every game this year, including UNI. No big surprise there. I would rather Iowa play them when the Hawks are playing them as opposed to the first game of the year. But yes, Iowa will have to play in that game to win it.

I didn't hear the Podolak quote, so it may be getting misconstrued. But no, NIU is not the best defense Iowa will play all year. Likely not in the top half of defenses Iowa will face all year. MSU, Nebraska, ISU, Michigan, Purdue at the very least will have better defenses. Huskies did have a good plan, kudos to their defense for doing so. That said, if Iowa turns just 2 of the 5 FG attempts into touchdowns the game is a 10+ point Iowa win. Of course if I was 6-11, 25 years old could run and jump like Lebron I would be in the NBA.

Everyone should be careful about drawing too many conclusions off one week. As an Iowa fan, the comparison to 2009 isn't all that valid. Iowa doesn't have Clayborn/Klug/Ballard on the DL and Angerer/Edds, Spievey/Sash/Prater/Greenwood in the back 7. This Iowa team will get better, but they aren't going to turn into the 2009 squad.

Every game is its own thing, especially at this time of the year. We'll see some things Saturday that no one expected. What those are will end up deciding the game.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
To your points.

Iowa will have to worry about every game this year, including UNI. No big surprise there. I would rather Iowa play them when the Hawks are playing them as opposed to the first game of the year. But yes, Iowa will have to play in that game to win it.

I didn't hear the Podolak quote, so it may be getting misconstrued. But no, NIU is not the best defense Iowa will play all year. Likely not in the top half of defenses Iowa will face all year. MSU, Nebraska, ISU, Michigan, Purdue at the very least will have better defenses. Huskies did have a good plan, kudos to their defense for doing so. That said, if Iowa turns just 2 of the 5 FG attempts into touchdowns the game is a 10+ point Iowa win. Of course if I was 6-11, 25 years old could run and jump like Lebron I would be in the NBA.

Everyone should be careful about drawing too many conclusions off one week. As an Iowa fan, the comparison to 2009 isn't all that valid. Iowa doesn't have Clayborn/Klug/Ballard on the DL and Angerer/Edds, Spievey/Sash/Prater/Greenwood in the back 7. This Iowa team will get better, but they aren't going to turn into the 2009 squad.

Every game is its own thing, especially at this time of the year. We'll see some things Saturday that no one expected. What those are will end up deciding the game.

Nice post and just to clarify Podolak said exactly what was posted here. Still can't believe he said that.

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
If I was a hawk fan I would be more worried about the UNI game. They were more impressive in the loss to WI that ISU was in the win over Tulsa and there is nothing worse than a loss to UNI. That is why I wish ISU would drop the series. If you beat them, so what, if you loose you are the laughing stock of the country because you lost to a lower level team.

As far as NIU have the best defense that Iowa will see all year, boy are they in for a surprise if they actually believe that. BTW, NIU might be the worst offense they see all year. Of course there are some pretty bad teams in the Big 10.

ISU as a trap game? I like it.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
NIU was a solid team. Not bad, not great. Their defense was not the issue it was Iowa's offense which was obvious because Iowa would drive down into NIU territory and then just stall, especially when Vandenberg had to pass. I don't know what Eddie was thinking when he said NIU was best defense they would see, maybe he meant in the non-con.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Jamba, I listened to all of Soundoff and none of that was said. None of it.

I listened to a little bit of the game on the radio, and I know Podalak asked Dolphin if he had seen much receiver separation today because he hadn't. Gary said no, he hadn't either. This was during the game, though, not the post game Hawk Hug Fest.

I wish I had heard the turf comments because that would have been a lot more fun.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Pessimists on that site. Other than a few. Remember, we want to fire everyone. I like the offseason on that site, but during the year....holy crap they complain a lot.

This site is no worse. Just wait till Jantz has a bad game and 10 threads get created calling for Barnett. Others about CPR's love affair with Jantz.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Cybeliever

Feb 22, 2012
Iowa
I have actually heard a lot of talk about the turf during and after the hok game? What was wrong with the field?