NU @ ISU VB

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
So henson has a bad game and you want to say she shouldnt be at that position? do you not remember here multiple 20 kill games? Please use some common sense when posting. We had a bad game, get over it!
I am using common sense, which you would notice if you'd actually read my post. We've been seeing this in Henson long before the Nebraska game. It was clear even against Texas, where she played very well. The prep time and run-up to her kills are really lengthy and very big; it gives the other team lots and lots of warning that she's about to attempt a kill, and where it will go, and how hard it will be. Have you not noticed how she gets stuffed exponentially more often as every match goes on? Teams see it and adjust, and we don't react to that- we just keep doing the same thing.

Last edited:

clonesvb

Nov 7, 2006
I am using common sense, which you would notice if you'd actually read my post. We've been seeing this in Henson long before the Nebraska game. It was clear even against Texas, where she played very well. The prep time and run-up to her kills are really lengthy and very big; it gives the other team lots and lots of warning that she's about to attempt a kill, and where it will go, and how hard it will be. Have you not noticed how she gets stuffed exponentially more often as every match goes on? Teams see it and adjust, and we don't react to that- we just keep doing the same thing.

I love how suddenly everyone is a volleyball expert. Ornryactor, Henson is one of the best in the Big 12 at getting kills. She is what they call a terminator. You are insane to think she shouldn't be a Big 12 outside hitter. She'd start on almost every team in the league and has better numbers than both Nebraska outsides. She is undersized and part of the reason for her getting stuffed is because teams double block her everytime. Hockaday benefits greatly from having Henson as the other outside. Not trying to be rude, but you need to learn more about the game before you act like you know more than Christy. Otherwise this is just CRAZY talk.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I love how suddenly everyone is a volleyball expert. Ornryactor, Henson is one of the best in the Big 12 at getting kills. She is what they call a terminator. You are insane to think she shouldn't be a Big 12 outside hitter. She'd start on almost every team in the league and has better numbers than both Nebraska outsides. She is undersized and part of the reason for her getting stuffed is because teams double block her everytime. Hockaday benefits greatly from having Henson as the other outside. Not trying to be rude, but you need to learn more about the game before you act like you know more than Christy. Otherwise this is just CRAZY talk.
I'm not arguing against any of those points, nor did I ever suggest I know more than our coach. You're welcome to think whatever you would like to think about Henson, outside hitters, or my knowledge of volleyball. I'm not looking for an argument, and will not continue this one. Enjoy.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Thank you a voice of rationality!

NETransplant

Dec 13, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Not spoiling for a fight, but I'm going to agree with ornryactor on this one. Remember at the beginning of the season, when it seemed like we only ever set outside? Teams were seeing that and adjusting to double block us all the time. Fortunately since then we've had Straube and Staddick step up and give us more options, and it's always fun to watch Kaylee surprise them on 2. I guess I just always get a little nervous when I see us getting ready to hit from the outside because everyone knows it's coming.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The Texas match was one of the best matches I've seen them play in five years. The Nebraska match was one of the worst. They seriously played like they did about three, four years ago. We didn't attack the net at ALL; digs were going everywhere but up; passes were going into the crowd on a regular basis; there was frequent miscommunication on set heights (hitter expected a 5 and got a 2, for example); Henson's attacks were so blatantly obvious that the Huskers had a full 3 seconds to prepare to block them (which they did); blocks were so far away from the net that they almost always got stuffed by Husker counter-blockers and rolled down our players' bodies for the Husker point.

I really don't think Henson is the player we need in that position. I've noticed for the last five or so matches that a LOT of our plays are just a simple 4 set to Henson. A few plays are a 3 set with a fake attack right away, then the real attack by Henson. In every case, the opposing team has figured this out very quickly; they all got good at blocking Henson because everyone can see her coming. She hasn't been very effective at all, and I think we need to switch her out.

Nebraska played well- they were obviously ****** at losing to us last time- but they should not have won. Our team is better, but they didn't show up to play tonight at all. I don't know who was out there on the court, but it wasn't the Spikelones.

Onry - I'm mixed on your post. I have no problem with Hensen. She's a touch undersized against the bigger teams - but most our girls are. But she can jump out of the gym. Typically she's a fine passer and decent defensive player.

But I noticed the same as you, in the Texas match. We have a very straight forward, very slow offense. The only quicks we run are straight 1's to the middle. Rarely run even a 31, not sure I've ever seen a combo and only run back row (which is fine with me BTW) only in emergency. Our passing is high and deliberate (but accurate), then high regs or 4s outside gives true blocking teams (NU) all day to setup.

That's all well and good, because we are a defensive oriented team. But when you lose your passing accuracy - it's like the Twister Sisters not being able to hit the outside shot. Things aren't going to work out in our favor.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
DaddyMac/ornyactor, Does the 3 and 4 in 3 set and 4 set signify the position of the player?? And does a 31 mean the 3 player passes to the 1 player?? Please post more info like this because it's fascinating to those of us like me who don't know much about the sport but want to learn more. Great discussion!!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Hard to really watch the game when shooting, although I did take more breaks this time to watch than last time.

My biggest takeaway from the game was - we simply got outworked. The hustle plays were not there for us and were for Nebraska. Lots of frustration for our girls very early and it just snowballed the entire game. And, Christy's timeouts were still well-timed, but didn't have the effect as they did in games against Baylor and Texas.

It was definitely a poor performance and very unfortunate it had to come in front of a record crowd. I have very little doubt this will just be a bump in the road for this team.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
DaddyMac/ornyactor, Does the 3 and 4 in 3 set and 4 set signify the position of the player?? And does a 31 mean the 3 player passes to the 1 player?? Please post more info like this because it's fascinating to those of us like me who don't know much about the sport but want to learn more. Great discussion!!

No Wes, they are set calls for attackers.

1 is a quick hit, typically out of the middle (back 1 would be signaled with a pinky and set behind the setter). On this set the attacker is already in the air as the setter sets the ball. Bang bang play.

2 is usually a middle attack too, but a higher set, maybe 3-4 feet up, depending on the hitter.

Tandem or combo play is most often a 1 fake followed by a 2 set to an outside hitting beind the middle. If the blockers start keying on the 2, the setter can set the 1 and catch the block flat-footed

31 is a quick hit, much like a 1, but further to the outside. I don't see us running it often, but saw it quite a bit from Texas. Often signaled with a index and thump extented, or a trigger motion with the index. My favorite btw. Loved running these.

4 is what our outsides will hit. The more lofted set to the outside (either front or back) Sometimes called a "reg/regular", depending on the team. Other teams will call a "reg" more of a sky ball. I don't think ours are that. 4 is four finders, reg is a fist.

Keep and eye on the setter and you can see what the various hitters are going to be swinging. Some teams have the hitters call their own as well. Of course, like baseball, to each their own as far as signals go - but these are pretty much the standards.

I'm sure team have other calls - but these are the bread and butter of most offenses.

As for positions - each team I ever played on (coach) had their own way. Usuaall there aren't many "positions" that mean anything. You have two middles, two outsides, 1 right or "opposite" and the setter. Opposite is almost always opposite the setter in the rotation. The middles are opposite each other, as are the outsides. Depending on the team, this can be altered any number of ways. But again, this is pretty typical. Only positions you might hear are for middles (M1 & M2), and outsides you have O1 and O2. Normally, your 1's are you better players and you'll put your setter between them, so you have at least one of your best attackers in the front row with your setter at all times. Now you run a 6-2 offense (two setters) all this goes out the window - but very few college teams run such and offense.

You can pretty much always count on the pass going to the setter between the middle and right front. (two attackers to the front, maybe one to the back, or the setter in that spot.) There are positions on the court - but I never used them since high school.

Enjoy. :wink:

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
My biggest takeaway from the game was - we simply got outworked. The hustle plays were not there for us and were for Nebraska.

Don't agree at all.
We "worked" and "hustled" just as hard as Nebraska.
For starters, we didn't get as many points off tips as we did in Lincoln - they adjusted.
Also, Nebraska's serving against us was superior to that of Texas' - tough serves so that we didn't pass well to our setters, leading to fewer setting options, resulting in poor sets, ending in lower hitting numbers.
In addition, Werth for them rose to the occasion. It was obvious we thought she was a weak link, and attacked her just as in Lincoln, but she had 15 digs this time, and played much better.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA

She had a rough rough night ... but you're off base on the approach part.

She's a JR and 7th on the list of all-time kill leaders at ISU. You're not going to change anything about it at this point. I was more disappointed with our defense when she'd get blocked. We lost every single joist and there was seemingly no back up for whoever was hitting on the left side.

Basically imho everyone but Hockaday had a really rough night. I almost wonder if the big crowd threw them off ... they were pointed to the stands and laughing during warmups like they couldn't beleive how many people there were. Hopefully this is a learning experience. 0-3 at home sucks hard.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
DaddyMac, thanks for the info on volleyball. My only experience with it was in P.E. class, and that wasn't much. And my apologies up front if I sound naive, because I am. I guarantee I will use the wrong terms some times.

I, too, thought our team was out of sync most of the night. Once in a while, we'd get a great pass and looked briefly like the team that beat Texas. Most of what I saw was kind of fuzzy play, and less a "let's get 'em" team than a "let's try to score" team. I even wondered if Victoria Henson was sick. She didn't look energized all night, to me.

I can't fault Caitlin Mahoney's enthusiam. Just wish all the players had it, and had been able to use it to our advantage.

At least we're still in the Top 10 this week, one spot above Neb. Texas stays at no. 2.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks for all that info, DaddyMac. My appreciation for volleyball players is much higher now. I assumed there were plays being called and ran but clearly I had no idea of what really was happening. Sometime if I see an empty seat next to you I might come sit and have you explain some of the action for me. (if you didn't mind, of course).
Great post...and one of the main reasons I love Cyclonefanatic.