NU @ ISU VB

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nebraska played well- they were obviously ****** at losing to us last time- but they should not have won. Our team is better, but they didn't show up to play tonight at all. I don't know who was out there on the court, but it wasn't the Spikelones.

Couldn't disagree more - we are a team of overachievers, led by our coach, and players like Henson, Mass, Mann, and Hockaday. We are not "better" than Nebraska.
There is only ONE player on our entire roster - Straube - who Nebraska would offer a schollie to, and Texas wouldn't even offer her. Nebraska has more skilled players than us, as do at least a dozen teams in the country.
Playing Texas and Nebraska back-to-back was like being in a Final Four. ISU survives on gritty defense, and coaching. Sometimes sheer talent wins out.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The Texas match was one of the best matches I've seen them play in five years. The Nebraska match was one of the worst. They seriously played like they did about three, four years ago. We didn't attack the net at ALL; digs were going everywhere but up; passes were going into the crowd on a regular basis; there was frequent miscommunication on set heights (hitter expected a 5 and got a 2, for example); Henson's attacks were so blatantly obvious that the Huskers had a full 3 seconds to prepare to block them (which they did); blocks were so far away from the net that they almost always got stuffed by Husker counter-blockers and rolled down our players' bodies for the Husker point.

I really don't think Henson is the player we need in that position. I've noticed for the last five or so matches that a LOT of our plays are just a simple 4 set to Henson. A few plays are a 3 set with a fake attack right away, then the real attack by Henson. In every case, the opposing team has figured this out very quickly; they all got good at blocking Henson because everyone can see her coming. She hasn't been very effective at all, and I think we need to switch her out.

Nebraska played well- they were obviously ****** at losing to us last time- but they should not have won. Our team is better, but they didn't show up to play tonight at all. I don't know who was out there on the court, but it wasn't the Spikelones.

So henson has a bad game and you want to say she shouldnt be at that position? do you not remember here multiple 20 kill games? Please use some common sense when posting. We had a bad game, get over it!

And tornado man, you couldnt be more wrong. Pretty sure we have great talent, and thats a slap in the face to understate the skill of our players.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Well i'd say that accolades the ladies have picked up would say other wise, and also i'll take a coaches opinion over a poster on a message board.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We shouldn't never offered scholarships to all these players. They aren't skilled. Wait, what?

Great talent doesn't mean they're all awesome at all facets of the game. Talent means they might be great at one thing, and CJL puts them in the best position to win. Luck doesn't beat talent this many times.

Reactions: CycloneErik

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We shouldn't never offered scholarships to all these players. They aren't skilled. Wait, what?

Don't put words in my mouth -again - I didn't say they "aren't skilled." ISU doesn't have "as many skilled" or talented players as Nebraska or Texas.
And don't take my word for it - ask Christy. She said on the Monday radio show a couple of weeks ago that she hopes the team's success will "open doors" to recruits that have not considered ISU up to now.
WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT MEANS?

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
Ease up people. Coming off the bigget upset in ISU history, playing in front of the largest home crowd ever, a rematch of a game they won earlier, and starting to lose the underdog role. Not a shocker they have an off game. As far as the pillow fight in this thread, you are all kind of right. I think the last thing this team needs is a dissection at this point. Get back in the gym and close out the season on a run.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Don't put words in my mouth -again - I didn't say they "aren't skilled." ISU doesn't have "as many skilled" or talented players as Nebraska or Texas.
And don't take my word for it - ask Christy. She said on the Monday radio show a couple of weeks ago that she hopes the team's success will "open doors" to recruits that have not considered ISU up to now.
WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT MEANS?
It doesn't mean what you imply it means. That there is only one girl on the team that would be recruited by those teams.

It does mean that we would have an opportunity to be in the minds of those that normally wouldn't think of ISU, but says nothing about the skill level of those on the team currently.

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
I thought we were only flat for the first game and 1/2, then they Ladies picked it up. Unfortunately VBall is a huge game of momentum, to little last nite, to late.....

This just in......Nebraska Women's Volleyball is really good....

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I thought we were only flat for the first game and 1/2, then they Ladies picked it up. Unfortunately VBall is a huge game of momentum, to little last nite, to late.....

This just in......Nebraska Women's Volleyball is really good....

Agreed, first game and half our defense was brutal - no energy and shanking passes left and right.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It doesn't mean what you imply it means. That there is only one girl on the team that would be recruited by those teams.

I didn't just make that up.
Go up to the players after the next match (they cheerfully sign autographs) and ask them each "did Nebraska offer you a scholarship?" Only one will say yes.
Go on, do it.
They are among a small group of teams at a recruiting level that Christy would love to get to.
And with our trremendous fan support and elite coaching from her and Joe, we can do it.

Last edited:

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
Thank you Captain Obvious. :wink:

If I didn't know any better dags, I'd think you were a genius!

Well geeeez...

We are having a minor meltdown here because we lost to a Nationally ranked opponent, that we just just stole one from a week ago......

kind of like complaining that "My Ice Cream is Too Cold"....

I like where ISU"s Women's Volleyball is right now, Great Coach and Fun to watch....