Observations from this Weekend

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
A fun weekend getting to watch a lot of volleyball on TV and watching the Cylcones in person!!

Cyclones looked like a team from a few years ago with some bright spots in defense and a new setter! *Do they do award "Newcomer" in volleyball in the Big 12? If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jaden receive the award this week as she led the Big 12 in assists over the weekend.*

Other Big 12 Team's Performances:

Baylor ~ beat Minnesota but STRUGGLED with Wisconsin. A couple of the sets were not even close. Their setter has returned this year from injury, Hannah Sedwick, not sure if the connections are as crisp as usual. van der Mark has moved to MB to make room for Skinner and they have some things to work out; though playing against a Wisconsin team that has Rettke returning is tough. Baylor is ranked #9 this week and is 1-1.

Kansas ~ I didn't get to watch Kansas play, but they lost to LMU and Purdue. LMU is receiving votes this week and Purdue is ranked #8.... the Purdue scores were not close. 0-2

Kansas State ~ They had NEBRASKA on the ropes and it would have been glorious if they would have beat them! They won the 3rd set 27-25, then K-State went wild and killed them in the third set 25-10, I believe. They had them in the 4th set, but Nebraska came back late and beat them. Darn. This is the team that surprises me.... after three starters transferred (Carlson, Archibong, and Martin) I thought maybe it would be a down year for them, but I was wrong. Carter did well, she takes A LOT of swings and they have a transfer OH in Haley Warner from Florida that is very good. 1-1 this weekend.

Oklahoma ~ did not watch. They have a whole new roster as well... went 0-3 this weekend with two close matches with Houston and Oregon St. (May see if I can go back and watch the Oregon St match as they are an opponent of ours this week.)

TCU ~ did not watch. They had a TOUGH opening weekend playing Minnesota and Wisconsin, the sets were not close. 0-2

Texas ~ still ranked #1 after the weekend. They beat a ranked San Diego pretty handily and beat UTSA. In the UTSA match, they ran a 6-2 for a while with a freshmen setter. They are still Texas. *sigh* 2-0

Texas Tech ~ did not watch. They lost 0-3 to Tennessee (who is receiving votes) and the sets were not close. Beat NC State 3-2 and beat East Tennessee St 3-0. They are 2-1

West Virginia ~ did not watch. They only lost one set in three matches in the Old Dominion tournament. They will play #23 Michigan on Friday. 3-0

** other teams:

UNI ~ looks to be improved from last year but they still struggle a little, I watched them play vs Green Bay as they squeaked out a win! Jenna Brandt is setting in their 6-2 offense. They lost 3- 0 to Ball St. whom ISU will play in two weeks. They are 2-1

Iowa ~ I watched them play Coastal Carolina and Buzzerio is still really good but their defense isn't as efficient as in the past, although I did not watch them play much last spring. They also played Duke and lost both matches. They will play Colorado and #T25 Washington next. 0-2

Syracuse ~ I watched their first match vs Buffalo and was surprised that Buffalo didn't win, to be honest. Their serve receive was a little shaky.... hoping we can utilize on that when we play them. 2-0

UPCOMING for the Cyclones:

Penn State #17 : It will be tough playing at Rec Hall, but should be fun!! Penn State lost to Georgia Tech this weekend, with one of their very few non-conference losses. They turned around and beat St. Johns and had a battle with UCF. 2-1

Oregon St. : do not know much about them... they went 5 sets with Oklahoma. (again, will try to go back and watch.) They lost to Houston in 4. 1-1

Go Cyclones!

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
ISU didn't win a single set last season against the 3 ranked teams they played against (Texas, Baylor and Marquette) so hopefully that streak gets stopped against Penn State this weekend.

I didn't realize Brynn Carlson transferred to Mizzou. I checked their results from last weekend and they went 0-3 last weekend against SLU, UMKC (ouch) and Creighton. They probably now wish they still had Newsome based on my read of their stats.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: StClone and SMP05