Offensive Line

KCyclone2010

May 19, 2017
We obviously know the O-line has been a glaring problem for years under Campbell. The average fan can see that. I’m hoping that someone with more football knowledge can truly break down what they are doing wrong and what needs to be done to improve?

Reactions: casey1973

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
200w.gif

Reactions: chadly82
Sep 10, 2013
To keep things in perspective, what we saw today, while it was awful is our ceiling. Virtually no coaching staff in the last 100 years can consistently get us to a bowl game like campbell does. We don't have the recruiting or developmental capabilities to exceed our current state. We are what we are and we should be thankful for our mediocrity.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We obviously know the O-line has been a glaring problem for years under Campbell. The average fan can see that. I’m hoping that someone with more football knowledge can truly break down what they are doing wrong and what needs to be done to improve?
Pad levels are too high for run blocking, especially for 6 6 tall lineman. We use our hands generally well which is good for pass blocking but not the best for run blocking.

When we had more success during the year, we were pulling blockers but I didn’t see much of that today. When they are sending a lot of players, it is difficult to pull as much with a back like Sama. Sama is not a runner who typically just finds a quick hole and explodes into it (Kstate he did and that is what we need him to do).

Those are just a couple basic things. We need to synch our backs and line better.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
To keep things in perspective, what we saw today, while it was awful is our ceiling. Virtually no coaching staff in the last 100 years can consistently get us to a bowl game like campbell does. We don't have the recruiting or developmental capabilities to exceed our current state. We are what we are and we should be thankful for our mediocrity.
Fiesta bowl would argue that the ceiling was higher and not that long ago

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Anyone who believes this, I encourage to find a different hobby. It’s clueless and loser mentality.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
This makes me want to drink real hard right now. That defense against the rush is trash and yet Sama couldn’t get to the line of scrimmage without getting his head knocked off

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016

It's not just the o-line. Make no mistake--they're really bad--but it's also the scheme. Literally no one has trouble defending ISU's zone reads.

The KSU game was a product of a foot of snow and not indicative of this squad's capabilities.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
You on the other hand should be ashamed by such a bad troll job.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I will say, I’m impressed with what Clanton was able to put together in one year and am excited to see what he can do in year 2 now that he’ll have a year to bring a couple of guys that fit HIS system. Today was a ******* abomination, though.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What? WTF? You completely contradicted yourself.
How?

The offensive line was **** in 2022.

It wasn’t “stab my eyes with a fork” bad in 2023. Games like Kansas State, TCU, Cincinnati, Baylor, and BYU, I thought our offensive line was pretty impressive. The QB was sacked just twice TOTAL the first 6 games of the year.

Today, they were ******* terrible.

I’ve never bought when CW/Bruns/Blum go on their schtick every April-August the last 14 years about how the offensive line will be different next year. But I do believe they grew in one year with Clanton, and that they will grow more in year 2. Clanton is a good coach.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
How?

The offensive line was **** in 2022.

It wasn’t “stab my eyes with a fork” bad in 2023. Games like Kansas State, TCU, Cincinnati, Baylor, and BYU, I thought our offensive line was pretty impressive.

Today, they were ******* terrible.

I’ve never bought when CW/Bruns/Blum go on their schtick every April-August the last 14 years about how the offensive line will be different next year. But I do believe they grew in one year with Clanton, and that they will grow more in year 2. Clanton is a good coach.
This year wasn’t just bad. It was historically bad for the OL run blocking

We went backwards. Hopefully that represents tearing down things to a foundation, but we’ll have several new starters next year