*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Run down of Illini players who see 10+ mpg:

#0 Terrance Shannon, 6'6" SG/Wing, super senior played 3 years at Texas Tech before transferring to Illinois last year. Averaged 23/4/2 this year shooting 36% from deep and 82% from the line. One of the best 3-level scorers in the country, is a bulldog who is always attacking, and draws a TON of fouls. (he's only playing because of a court order after he was suspended due to being arrested for rape)

#3 Marcus Domask, 6'6" PG/Wing, super senior played 4 years at Southern Illinois. Is not a point guard, but plays it for Illinois. Was first team all-BigTen, along with Shannon, averaging 16/5/4 while shooting 30% from 3 and 87% from the line. He was a better 3-pt shooter in his first 4 years (36%). Likes to do what they call "booty ball" where he backs down the opposing PG and either shoots a fade away over them or passes out over them if a double comes.

#20 Ty Rodgers, 6'6" wing, soph, bouncy rebounder who has take ZERO 3pt shots this season. He's their leading offensive rebounder and scores around the rim. I think he'll struggle with the doubles we run down there, but can hurt us on the boards. Plays the '4' when they go smaller. Averages 6/5/2 and shoots 62% from the FT line

#13 Quincy Guerrier, 6'7" PF, super senior played 2 years at Syracuse and 2 years at Oregon. Averages 10/6 on 38% 3pt shooting and 58% from the FT line. Thicker body, but not as big as Tre King (by my eye). Pretty quiet on offense, but hits the boards and takes open looks.

#33 Coleman Hawkins, 6'10" PF, 4th yr player at Illinois (!!), averages 12/6/3 on 38% 3pt shooting and 80% FT shooting. Good shooter and passer and can handle the ball a bit . Spends a lot of time on offense at the 3pt line. Isn't big or strong and can be susceptible on post defense. (the player their opponents love to hate)

#42 Dain Dainja, 6'9" C, Junior played one year at Baylor (didn't really play) and in his second year at Illinois. Started some last year, but played less this year coming off the bench. Big, strong and kind of slow. Doesn't shoot 3s, averaged 6/3 and shot <50% from the FT line. Has been playing better lately, is 17-17 in their last 3 games and has a 21 point game and a 18 point game in the post season.

#10 Luke Goode (pronounced good-EE), 6'7" SF, junior in his 3rd year at Illinois, 40% 3pt shooter who doesn't do much else. He hasn't taken a 2pt shot since January.

#4 Justin Harmon, 6'4" PG, super senior transfer from Utah Valley, played at JUCO before that. Shoots 31% from 3, but a very good FT shooter (90%+)

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021

#0 Terrance Shannon, 6'6" SG/Wing, super senior played 3 years at Texas Tech before transferring to Illinois last year. Averaged 23/4/2 this year shooting 36% from deep and 82% from the line. One of the best 3-level scorers in the country, is a bulldog who is always attacking, and draws a TON of fouls. (he's only playing because of a court order after he was suspended due to being arrested for rape)

#3 Marcus Domask, 6'6" PG/Wing, super senior played 4 years at Southern Illinois. Is not a point guard, but plays it for Illinois. Was first team all-BigTen, along with Shannon, averaging 16/5/4 while shooting 30% from 3 and 87% from the line. He was a better 3-pt shooter in his first 4 years (36%). Likes to do what they call "booty ball" where he backs down the opposing PG and either shoots a fade away over them or passes out over them if a double comes.

#20 Ty Rodgers, 6'6" wing, soph, bouncy rebounder who has take ZERO 3pt shots this season. He's their leading offensive rebounder and scores around the rim. I think he'll struggle with the doubles we run down there, but can hurt us on the boards. Plays the '4' when they go smaller. Averages 6/5/2 and shoots 62% from the FT line

#13 Quincy Guerrier, 6'7" PF, super senior played 2 years at Syracuse and 2 years at Oregon. Averages 10/6 on 38% 3pt shooting and 58% from the FT line. Thicker body, but not as big as Tre King (by my eye). Pretty quiet on offense, but hits the boards and takes open looks.

#33 Coleman Hawkins, 6'10" PF, 4th yr player at Illinois (!!), averages 12/6/3 on 38% 3pt shooting and 80% FT shooting. Good shooter and passer and can handle the ball a bit . Spends a lot of time on offense at the 3pt line. Isn't big or strong and can be susceptible on post defense. (the player their opponents love to hate)

#42 Dain Dainja, 6'9" C, Junior played one year at Baylor (didn't really play) and in his second year at Illinois. Started some last year, but played less this year coming off the bench. Big, strong and kind of slow. Doesn't shoot 3s, averaged 6/3 and shot <50% from the FT line. Has been playing better lately, is 17-17 in their last 3 games and has a 21 point game and a 18 point game in the post season.

#10 Luke Goode (pronounced good-EE), 6'7" SF, junior in his 3rd year at Illinois, 40% 3pt shooter who doesn't do much else. He hasn't taken a 2pt shot since January.

#4 Justin Harmon, 6'4" PG, super senior transfer from Utah Valley, played at JUCO before that. Shoots 31% from 3, but a very good FT shooter (90%+)
good job, thanks!

Reactions: Acer88 and bawbie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well, I should go slink into my cave to watch this one.

I'll either be back tomorrow to congratulate you and root for ISU in the Elite 8... or just stay away for a while and lurk until it's time to get back to my original purpose for creating an account, following ISU's football and basketball teams.

Sucks we have to fight to the death, went Ames a couple of times for football and basketball games this year, as well as the DePaul basketball game. My most vivid memory was sitting in the west balcony for the Kansas football game and listening to the desperate cries of a fan shouting "I got Juicy for nothing!!!" after KU scored an 80 yard touchdown late in the game... not because that was a good moment, but because I've lived that moment a million times and we're not so different. You guys do tailgating the right way, and since Illinois moved it's opener to a Thursday I'll almost certainly be in a field outside Jack Trice on August 31st.

I'd say good luck tonight but... well, I can't., and I don't expect any well wishes from you either. Should be a great game, we'll see who's standing tomorrow.

KU had a good football team but that game was 'I think tonight's the night!' and then it wasn't unlike many a Cyclone game prior.

Hoping for a well played, clean game with no injuries.

But if ISU loses yeah a good idea to stay away. If you lurk you'll see some weirdos with all sorts of takes outside of reality consisting of but not limited to:

-refs hate ISU

-TJ isn't the guy for ISU (there's a few that show snippets of this no matter how many times he shows he is and need any reason to come back to it because he didn't apply on Indeed or something).

-ISU should have shot better (there's some that appear to think players choose whether or not they make shots)

-some stat/trend that ISU is strong in or IL isn't will not go accordingly and some won't understand that trends don't always hold up.

-to piggy back off of that, there will be 'a higher seed should never lose to a lower seed' angle regarding an NCAA tournament game.

-personal attacks on players from posters that have been banned previously for that very thing when this ISU team is a bunch of warriors that have already done great things.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
KU had a good football team but that game was 'I think tonight's the night!' and then it wasn't unlike many a Cyclone game prior.

But if ISU loses yeah a good idea to stay away. If you lurk you'll see some weirdos with all sorts of takes outside of reality consisting of but not limited to:

-refs hate ISU

-TJ isn't the guy for ISU (there's a few that show snippets of this no matter how many times he shows he is and need any reason to come back to it because he didn't apply on Indeed or something).

-ISU should have shot better (there's some that appear to think players choose whether or not they make shots)

-some stat/trend that ISU is strong in or IL isn't will not go accordingly and some won't understand that trends don't always hold up.

-to piggy back off of that, there will be 'a higher seed should never lose to a lower seed' angle regarding an NCAA tournament game.

-personal attacks on players from posters that have been banned previously for that very thing when this ISU team is a bunch of warriors that have already done great things.

Left out the very specific "Get BRE out of there! He's killing us!"

Mar 26, 2024

good write up. then they have the two guards that will play a bit each half...they are more traditional guards..one being a point.

Reactions: bawbie
Oct 30, 2023

really good overview. Couple of notes:

- Guerrier had a hot start but has been pretty quiet on offense lately, but is capable of hitting threes
- Goode has been streaky, bordering on mildly disappointing to some fans, does some Glue Guy stuff, finally hit a few significant threes in the last couple games.
- Harmon has regressed into a glue guy as he is in a monster slump from three.

Other guys:
- Might see some Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn. Has worked his way into the edge of the rotation late in the year, Freshman who projects to be a pretty good offensive player. I think Underwood finally trusts him to not go crazy and force something. He could come in if we really need a change of pace on offense or if we get into a bind with fouls.
- Nico Moretti. Technically a freshman guard who joined the team last winter from Italy. Point Guard who's had limited minutes, shown a couple of flashes. He might come in for a change of pace if we really get into trouble with ball handling.
- Amani Hansberry. Freshman Big, probably won't see him unless we get into monster foul trouble between Hawkins and Dainja.

Per a friend's research... DGL and Hansberry are the only Illini on the roster that average more than 4 fouls per 40 minutes played. Milan is the only player you have that averages less than 4 fouls per 40 minutes played... attrition and getting to the line will be a big part of our strategy.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
75-70 Illinois.

It’s almost worth it to put money on the Illini. If they win, you can make some decent return. If the Cyclones win, I’m screaming in happiness and okay to lose a little money.
I’m sure this works for somebody, definitely would not work for me.

Reactions: Kinch

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

They are an old team, don’t like that aspect

Oct 30, 2023

-refs hate ISU

Yup. I'm going to see all of that on either your board or my home board tomorrow morning.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Per a friend's research... DGL and Hansberry are the only Illini on the roster that average more than 4 fouls per 40 minutes played. Milan is the only player you have that averages less than 4 fouls per 40 minutes played... attrition and getting to the line will be a big part of our strategy.
That is... very very not true. With all due respect, your friend is an idiot.

Only Hason Ward is significantly over 4 fouls per 40 minutes (6.5) - Tre King is 4.1, Bob Jones is 4.0, Watson is 4.3

1711657608126.png

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
really good overview. Couple of notes:

- Guerrier had a hot start but has been pretty quiet on offense lately, but is capable of hitting threes
- Goode has been streaky, bordering on mildly disappointing to some fans, does some Glue Guy stuff, finally hit a few significant threes in the last couple games.
- Harmon has regressed into a glue guy as he is in a monster slump from three.

Other guys:
- Might see some Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn. Has worked his way into the edge of the rotation late in the year, Freshman who projects to be a pretty good offensive player. I think Underwood finally trusts him to not go crazy and force something. He could come in if we really need a change of pace on offense or if we get into a bind with fouls.
- Nico Moretti. Technically a freshman guard who joined the team last winter from Italy. Point Guard who's had limited minutes, shown a couple of flashes. He might come in for a change of pace if we really get into trouble with ball handling.
- Amani Hansberry. Freshman Big, probably won't see him unless we get into monster foul trouble between Hawkins and Dainja.

You're wrong with the foul stats, but correct in the strategy. Two players in particular I think. It doesn't happen often, but there have a been a few games where Gilbert will pick up 2 early fouls and have to sit a fair bit in the first half. He's been so good defensively for us that any 6-8 minute stretch where he may be on the bench is a big challenge.

Then of course our bigs, particularly Ward. Hason has been incapable of staying out of foul trouble for a lot of the year and is super impactful when he is on the court. If it's one of those days where he can only play 10-12 minutes because of fouls, that bodes well for the Illini. If Hason can keep it clean and play ~20 minutes that's a big win for us, as his length/athleticism are immense for us on the defensive side and then the lob game offensively.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I haven't seen many myself besides the plane over but I've been stopped a few times walking around Boston.

"is there a game tonight? I've seen a lot of Iowa State fans"

Hope we have a good showing. If not we're certainly "loud" in our pride wearing lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron