*** Official #10 Illinois vs #4 IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
Lost in a typical Iowa State big moment fashion. Good year and lots to look forward to next year. Can't overcome playing that bad in the first 8 minutes offensively. Excited for the future of the program!

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Illinois was a waaaaaaay better passing team than we've faced. They move the ball much more like an NBA team. I credit them for that. The same double team that worked all year didn't work on them and burned us. I think we did adjust and that's why it was a tight game.

Nobody should be shocked the #1 offense is better passing the ball than what we're used to. Just like Illinois fans shouldn't be shocked they only scored 72 instead of their typical 90.
Illinois is above and beyond better offensively than we saw all year

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe you didn’t notice the 8 or so minute stretch where ISU was really selective on the doubles and even played zone.
Maybe you haven't seen tj keep faith in his players even through bad times. Its what has made players (Gilbert, Milan earlier, Jaz lastbyear) able to get through their slumps.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We struggled to rebound against Illinois. UConn would have murdered us on the boards.

The way they're playing they could kill Illinois or ISU...but it will be a sudden step up for them if they don't come out sharp.

NW and SDSU did not look impressive. UConn's overall #1 would have got them this far even with a D effort but they've been giving A effort.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Illinois was a waaaaaaay better passing team than we've faced. They move the ball much more like an NBA team. I credit them for that. The same double team that worked all year didn't work on them and burned us. I think we did adjust and that's why it was a tight game.

Nobody should be shocked the #1 offense is better passing the ball than what we're used to. Just like Illinois fans shouldn't be shocked they only scored 72 instead of their typical 90.
Yep. They had the perfect game plan and their passing was great. The amount of possessions they had where the would move the ball quickly without dribbling was incredible. They were clearly the more skilled team offensively.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I mean they had 36 in the first half and 36 in the second half.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Overall we had a great season, finished second during the regular season and won the conference tournament.

To win and advance from here on out we were going to have to shoot the ball at a high clip, and we could not buy a basket most of the first half. Illinois size bothered us and forced us to over think, and we blew plenty of easy baskets that would have been the difference.

Seem like we really played very tight the first half, while Illinois came out very lose and got the ball to Shannon who just killed us. I thought on this run, we would go as far as Milan would take us, he was the wildcard, and tonight he was crap. He is one of those players that needs to hit a couple of shots early in the game and get it going, he couldn't do that tonight.
We also did a horrible job rebounding their misses and given them 2nd and 3rd chances after we would play solid defense for most of the 30 seconds.

ISU should be better next season, Illinois loses everyone worth a damn. Keep your head up and keep moving forward.

IDK if our rebounds were *that* bad. They had a TON of extremely lucky misses that bounced way back outside right to their guys.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Gilbert's ties it with all the momentum. Very unfortunate but I love this team. Now we sit back and see who leaves and the coaches prepare for next year.

Yes. And although I enjoy the way TJ constructs the roster, it's because it could allow us to get to THIS GAME. Which we've proven the last few visits to the Sweet 16 we cannot win. That sounds entitled, I realize, but just ONE TIME I'd love for us to break through....really break through to a Final Four. Seems so elusive.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Sports are dumb. I hate that I get this emotionally invested in something I have no control over.
Give it the one hour rule. One hour to be bummed and then life is too precious to be down after that amount of time.

I'm excited for JT Rock next year, all the guards coming back. I like the incoming freshmen and the Charlotte transfer. Milan needs to hit the weight room and develop something more than the fadeaway long 2.

We'll be preseason top 25 next year. Our guards coming back are very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: cal-cyclone

Corndoc363

Dec 11, 2023
If you're talking about cutting a freshman that could very well be a draft pick in a year or two you're crazy.
Tough game for Mon but I didn’t see a single set play to try to get the guy an open look at a 3. I put that on TJ