NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Charles Barkley thinks Cleveland wants the 2 seed so they don't have to face the Wizards in the second round, It kind of makes sense since the cavs have struggled against them. The Wizards are my sleeper team in the playoffs. I'm not worried about Cleveland not making the finals, it isn't easy beating Lebron in a 7 game series

I don't think they're trying to duck anyone. If they were that rattled by anyone in the East they'd chase the #1 seed a little harder. They're just putting a priority on having their key guys at or close to 100% for the postseason, simple as that. And I agree with you about the Cavs. I'm not betting against Lebron in the East until someone finally knocks his team out.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
If everyone was healthy it might be a different story. But Lebron is 32 and he's played a ton of minutes this year and Kyrie's knee is flaring up. If they have to pick between getting those two right vs. home court advantage in the postseason, it's a no-brainer. If those two aren't healthy then home court advantage is meaningless for the Cavs.
I actually didn't realize how many minutes he was averaging until I looked yesterday, he leads the league at 37.8 MPG.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think you're right about Boston. But Atlanta has Charlotte tonight and then they have to turn around and play the Pacers in Indy tomorrow night. And if they win, then I think they're locked in as the five seed so they might rest some key guys tomorrow night. And the Pacers know it's a must win because it's unlikely the Bulls or Heat will lose. I think Miami gets left out. As to the order of 5-8 in the East, I can't even start to unravel that. I think Indy can get as high as a six seed if the Hawks lose their last two and the Bucks win tomorrow night, but at this point I'd settle for a seven or eight. They can't beat Cleveland in a seven game series but Lebron vs Paul George is a must watch.

I didnt realize Atlanta played Charlotte tonight, so I would agree. Pacers get the 7 and Bulls the 8.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Atlanta is up 30 on Charlotte late in the 4th. A win locks them in as the five seed, which means that they'll likely sit some key players tomorrow night at Indy. Bad news for Heat fans, and to a lesser extent, Bulls fans.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Really doesn't matter who the 5-8 seeds end up being because Boston, Cleve, Toronto and Washington will all easily advance to the conference semifinals. Seeds 5-8 are playing for thanks for playing ribbon.

• Disagree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Really doesn't matter who the 5-8 seeds end up being because Boston, Cleve, Toronto and Washington will all easily advance to the conference semifinals. Seeds 5-8 are playing for thanks for playing ribbon.

I can't see the Heat, Pacers or Bulls beating the Celts or Cavs in a series. But the Bucks could knock off the Raptors or at least take them to six or seven games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Disagree. Atlanta is hot right now and I think they will beat Washington. Milwaukee could also beat Toronto. I think Cleveland and Boston are destined for the Finals, but Chicago hasn't lost to Cleveland this season, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Chicago give them a series.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Disagree. Atlanta is hot right now and I think they will beat Washington. Milwaukee could also beat Toronto. I think Cleveland and Boston are destined for the Finals, but Chicago hasn't lost to Cleveland this season, so I wouldn't be shocked to see Chicago give them a series.

That season sweep is highly misleading. In most of those games the Cavs were without 1 if not 2 of their main players.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That season sweep is highly misleading. In most of those games the Cavs were without 1 if not 2 of their main players.

I don't think it will happen, but I won't be surprised if it does. The East has far more parady then the West, and I think teams 3-8 are all pretty much on a level playing field. However, I'll be far less shocked if Cleveland or Boston don't make it to the finals than I will be if GS or SA don't.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think it will happen, but I won't be surprised if it does. The East has far more parady then the West, and I think teams 3-8 are all pretty much on a level playing field. However, I'll be far less shocked if Cleveland or Boston don't make it to the finals than I will be if GS or SA don't.

I think Houston has a better shot in the West than the Spurs do. I like Kawhi, but beyond him it's a pretty thin roster.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Bucks do not matchup too well with the raptors. Have lost 7 out of last 8 against them with 5 of the 8 being blowout losses.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
There's some really good first round match-ups. Pacers vs Cavs and Rockets v Thunder, Raptors v Bucks. Jazz vs Clippers should also be an interesting series