MLB: ***Official 2016 - 17 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION CHICAGO CUBS Offseason Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I still would love to see Fowler back. I know that will push Almora down a rung and it may not be the BEST long term move (although I don't think it's necessarily a bad one, either), but Fowler very quickly became one of my favorite Cubs ever and he still brings an awful lot of value to this lineup (and the clubhouse).

As for the bullpen, I definitely want Wood back. He did really well against righties and lefties for a good portion of the year, and was still a good LOOGY once fatigue set in from his heavy workload (plus, with Monty or Z going to the rotation, they could use another southpaw in the pen). I also really would like to see them get one of the big three closers, with a preference for Jansen because of his versatility in October. Chappy is damn good, and if the Cubs were to land him instead of Jansen, I'd hardly complain about it. But Jansen and Miller really changed the way that we look at relievers in the playoffs.

Other than making a run at a closer, the only big move I would expect Theo to make/try to make would be a trade for a controllable arm (Sale is a pipe dream, albeit a fun one; but Archer, Gray, etc. are still possibilities).

Jansen is my number one want, I think he would be a great get and would hurt one of the Cubs main competitors too as an added bonus.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
If Fowler does come up, I could see the Cubs possibly trading Almora and Soler this offseason. Eloy Jimenez has managed to do better than expected and I could see the Cubs projecting a 2018 arrival.

*For the record, I definitely want Almora on the roster. Good attitude and great player

Maybe very late 2018 for Jiminez, but yeah he's blowing up. He could be a top ten prospect by midseason, he's in the only position play in low A to make the MLB top 25 prospect list. He's got a decent shot at being a top three guy by midseason next year.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
David RossVerified account‏@D_Ross3
@MLB Thank You

Cwx80jHXcAAhRx-.jpg

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Someone rather unknown claims to have a source close to the Yankees and said that the Yanks were looking at a 5 year, $90 million deal for Chapman.

Originally I thought that was low...I figured he's looking for at least $20 million a year...which would be somewhere around $300,000/inning he pitched this year.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
For that price, pass on Chapman. I doubt they will sign him anyway, but that price is stupid

Jansen won't get that money, and he's the better option, IMO. Melancon could be a solid value pick, as his price will be considerably lower due to his age and stuff that isn't as good (but still among the best).

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Jansen is my number one want, I think he would be a great get and would hurt one of the Cubs main competitors too as an added bonus.

Honestly, it could hurt two of the Cubs' main competitors (potentially): the Dodgers and whichever team would have signed him if CHC/LA didn't.

Mar 24, 2009
Marion Iowa
I don't want Chapman back in Chicago....Joe got lucky that he didn't blow it for him, he doesn't have a mindset to pitch more than the 9th inning Jensen does. I would like to see them trade Soler and prospects for a good #2 or #3 starting pitcher. Fowler won't be back, OF of Schwarber, Heyward and Zobrist with Almora first off the bench/Def replacement. Let Coghlan walk. They need some controllable pitching after Lackey and Arrieta are gone after 2017.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I don't want Chapman back in Chicago....Joe got lucky that he didn't blow it for him, he doesn't have a mindset to pitch more than the 9th inning Jensen does. I would like to see them trade Soler and prospects for a good #2 or #3 starting pitcher. Fowler won't be back, OF of Schwarber, Heyward and Zobrist with Almora first off the bench/Def replacement. Let Coghlan walk. They need some controllable pitching after Lackey and Arrieta are gone after 2017.

Soler has very little trade value, if you're trading him and prospects to get a #2 type starter that means your'e probably including Happ and Jimenez, and I wouldn't want to do that trade. I'd rather the Cubs take a shot at picking up another under the radar guy, like Montgomery was, to try out this year and buy a starter next year when the starting pitching market is much better.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy