***Official 2018 NCAA Tourney Thread***

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I still remember when Jay Wright was on the hot seat because he didn’t win enough in the tourney.

He went 13-19 six year ago, and was squarely on the hot seat, and then he has ripped off an incredible run, especially these last four years.

I am not saying Steve Prohm and Jay Wright are on the same level, but it goes to show what a little patience can do.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
That was a boring game. A boring final four really.

It was, but the rest of the tourney was a blast. With all of the upsets it's easy to miss how dominant Villanova was during this run - they cruised with the closest game they played at 12 points.

It seems like an eternity since Virginia was losing to a 16.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
He went 13-19 six year ago, and was squarely on the hot seat, and then he has ripped off an incredible run, especially these last four years.

I am not saying Steve Prohm and Jay Wright are on the same level, but it goes to show what a little patience can do.
I guess I didn’t even remember Villanova having a season like that. You are right though.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Impossible to discern if either is an advantage (too many variables depending on matchups), but you have me curious, just for the heck of it.

@HoopsTournament might be of help. I'm not sure how well records are kept for historic games times. I wouldn't know a simple way to search.
Unfortunately, I don't have that data.

Reactions: cyclones500

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Villanova wins its 3rd National Championship. They also won in 1985 and 2016.

Villanova is 3-1 in National Championship games. They have won their last 3.

Villanova becomes the 9th school to win at least 3 National Championships.

• UCLA 11
  • Kentucky 8
  • North Carolina 6
  • Duke 5
  • Indiana 5
  • Connecticut 4
  • Kansas 3
  • Louisville 3
  • Villanova 3

Villanova becomes the 4th National Champion to win all 6 games by double-digits.

• 2000 Michigan State
  • 2001 Duke
  • 2009 North Carolina
Villanova is the first team since Florida (2006, 2007) to win two National Championships in a 3-year period. They are the first team since Kentucky (1996, 1998) to win 2 in a 3-year span, but not consecutively.

Villanova is 2-0 vs. Michigan in the tournament. They also defeated Michigan 59-55 in the 1985 Round of 32.

Villanova win their 46th tournament game as a member of the Big East which passes Georgetown for 3rd all-time behind Syracuse (50) and Connecticut (48).

Villanova is 6-3 vs. the Big Ten in the tournament.

Villanova is 4-1 vs. #3 seeds.

Villanova is 6-1 playing in Texas. They won both the 2016 (Houston) and 2018 (San Antonio) National Championships in Texas.

Villanova is 5-1 on Mondays in the tournament. Only UCLA with 6 has more wins on Monday. Connecticut, Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina have also won 5 games on a Monday.

Michigan is 1-6 in National Championship games. They have lost their last 4.

Michigan's 4 straight National Championship game losses ties Duke for the most consecutive all-time. Duke lost their first 4 appearances in the National Championship game.

Michigan is 2-3 vs. the Big East including a 1-2 record in the National Championship game. They defeated Seton Hall in 1989 and lost to Louisville in 2013 when they were a member of the Big East.

Michigan is 4-7 vs. #1 seeds.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
It was, but the rest of the tourney was a blast. With all of the upsets it's easy to miss how dominant Villanova was during this run - they cruised with the closest game they played at 12 points.

It seems like an eternity since Virginia was losing to a 16.
As a closet Villanova fan, I rather enjoyed the championship game. But I can see how you would not enjoy it if you are not a fan of Nova.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt and GTO

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Does everyone get their jersey hung in the rafters at KU? Sure seems like it.
Everyone that gets consensus First Team All American, National Player of the Year or Academic All American of the Year does, yes.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Nobody was beating Villanova this tournament. That was a stacked team that was playing really good team b-ball and defense.
Yeah, Nova was a machine this year. They didn't even have to play their A game last night and they smoked Michigan. Hats off to them; they were the best team in America this year and were able to win the national title as well.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Villanova wins its 3rd National Championship. They also won in 1985 and 2016.

Villanova is 3-1 in National Championship games. They have won their last 3.

Villanova becomes the 9th school to win at least 3 National Championships.

• UCLA 11
  • Kentucky 8
  • North Carolina 6
  • Duke 5
  • Indiana 5
  • Connecticut 4
  • Kansas 3
  • Louisville 3
  • Villanova 3

Villanova becomes the 4th National Champion to win all 6 games by double-digits.

• 2000 Michigan State
  • 2001 Duke
  • 2009 North Carolina
Villanova is the first team since Florida (2006, 2007) to win two National Championships in a 3-year period. They are the first team since Kentucky (1996, 1998) to win 2 in a 3-year span, but not consecutively.

Villanova is 2-0 vs. Michigan in the tournament. They also defeated Michigan 59-55 in the 1985 Round of 32.

Villanova win their 46th tournament game as a member of the Big East which passes Georgetown for 3rd all-time behind Syracuse (50) and Connecticut (48).

Villanova is 6-3 vs. the Big Ten in the tournament.

Villanova is 4-1 vs. #3 seeds.

Villanova is 6-1 playing in Texas. They won both the 2016 (Houston) and 2018 (San Antonio) National Championships in Texas.

Villanova is 5-1 on Mondays in the tournament. Only UCLA with 6 has more wins on Monday. Connecticut, Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina have also won 5 games on a Monday.

Michigan is 1-6 in National Championship games. They have lost their last 4.

Michigan's 4 straight National Championship game losses ties Duke for the most consecutive all-time. Duke lost their first 4 appearances in the National Championship game.

Michigan is 2-3 vs. the Big East including a 1-2 record in the National Championship game. They defeated Seton Hall in 1989 and lost to Louisville in 2013 when they were a member of the Big East.

Michigan is 4-7 vs. #1 seeds.
You forgot the asterisk on Michigan State...

• Agree
Reactions: HoopsTournament

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Nova was just a machine this year when everyone was healthy. It will be interesting to see who all comes back. If they only lose Bridges, watch out. We could be talking about one of the best 4 year runs in the history of the sport. I really question recruiting one and dones now unless they are the kind of transcendent player like Anthony Davis was or Ayton, Bagley but why recuit a kid like Trevon Duval? I would rather get a PG ranked a little lower that is still an elite recruit but that you will have for at least 3 years. Most of the teams that win championships are build with non-one players.

Also, the only team West of the Mississippi to win a championship since 1998 is Kansas. The East coast in particular is dominating in that aspect and then throw in a midwest and some a few southern schools.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
This was one of the more fun tournaments for me to watch in recent memory. Some of that definitely had to do with not stressing over ISU, but I have no desire to make that a regular occurrence. That aside, there we so many great games, comebacks, buzzer beaters etc that it made for great viewing for a hoops fan with no dog in the hunt. The only downside for me was Kansas costing me my bracket by beating Duke. That would have cost me about $450, you know, if I had actual money on it, which of course I didn't since that's illegal and stuff.

In the end, the best team won convincingly. Nova was a well oiled machine with the necessary mix of talent, leadership, coaching and great fundamentals. My 10 year old kept commenting all tournament about how hard they rebound, and how he hopes to see ISU start doing that...his lips to God's ears.

I wonder if Jay Wright has any NBA aspirations? He's a hometown kid and the toast of the town but as we all know, that doesn't mean anything if he has bigger and better on the brain. They'll still be very good next year, but if he's going to jump, you'd think there would be no better time than now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Nova was just a machine this year when everyone was healthy. It will be interesting to see who all comes back. If they only lose Bridges, watch out. We could be talking about one of the best 4 year runs in the history of the sport. I really question recruiting one and dones now unless they are the kind of transcendent player like Anthony Davis was or Ayton, Bagley but why recuit a kid like Trevon Duval? I would rather get a PG ranked a little lower that is still an elite recruit but that you will have for at least 3 years. Most of the teams that win championships are build with non-one players.

Also, the only team West of the Mississippi to win a championship since 1998 is Kansas. The East coast in particular is dominating in that aspect and then throw in a midwest and some a few southern schools.

Pretty sure they said Brunson is graduating in a 3 years too...there's something to be said for that.

Not that it happens every year and it's not like one and done hasn't worked for teams, but this was definitely a tournament that showed what a veteran team can do. Some of Nova's most effective players were even red shirted.

Reactions: rholtgraves

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Michigan has yet to face even a top 15 team on Ken Pom in the tournament. Nova just faced three straight and won easily Also, Michigan has yet to face a team with a good offense in the tournament. The highest ranked offense they have played against was 37th. Villanova is bar far the best offense in the country. Oh yeah, and they play good defense. Their team is truly impressive.
Michigan is a nice team, playing much better defense this year than in the past.
But the three Big 12 teams that Nova beat in the tourney - WV, TTech and KU - would have all beaten Michigan.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Michigan is a nice team, playing much better defense this year than in the past.
But the three Big 12 teams that Nova beat in the tourney - WV, TTech and KU - would have all beaten Michigan.

JW would probably say WV gave Nova the biggest challenge in the tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pretty sure they said Brunson is graduating in a 3 years too...there's something to be said for that.

Not that it happens every year and it's not like one and done hasn't worked for teams, but this was definitely a tournament that showed what a veteran team can do. Some of Nova's most effective players were even red shirted.

Six guys who have redshirted on this year's roster. Pretty crazy in this era of college basketball. Though it should be noted that not all of them redshirted their freshman year and not all of them redshirted solely for developmental reasons. There were injuries and academics that were factors for some of them.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I still like the chaos of the first weekend over the rest of the tourney. I find my interest wanes as the tourney goes on. If ISU is still in it, obviously things change.

From a general basketball fan aspect, the last two Nova games were fairly boring to watch. They were dominant and executed things brilliantly, but there was not much doubt in either one in the second half.