MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Someone else has left the past three years. Whether it be the pitching or hitting coach, Joe always seems to get through unscathed, and throughout that time there's been one constant. Time for us to move on from him.

Well before this year the previous two years involved an NLCS appearance and a 95 win season. If you expect heads to roll after every season that doesn’t end in a title you’re gonna go through a lot of coaches.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Just want to go on record that I still think we are a top 5 talented team. We have more talent than the Cardinals and Brewers and Nationals. At worst, talent wise, we are 3rd in the NL.

It is underlying factors (not knowing how to run bases, making silly defensive plays, having selfish, poor knowledge of the game at bats) that impact our record, not the actual talent itself.

Sort of like, in my opinion, the Patriots don’t bring in the best talent, but they sure as **** bring in the guys with the best IQ and awareness with how to maximize their talent to improve team outcome.

Schwarber swinging at a 3-0 ball, and a 3-1 ball, in our first game against the Cardinals in which we were coming back, says it all.

Contreras simply not getting the ball in play with a runner on third and less than two outs says it all.

Cishek walking the bases loaded in a tie game and demanding he stays in the game and walks in the winning run says it all.

We are a talented team. We are a selfish team.

The Cubs were projected to be an 87 win team by fangraphs before the year, they aren’t that talented of a team. I don’t know what more it takes for you to believe it.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Descalso, Kemp, Quintana, Almora, Bote, all of Theo’s finest moves on display tonight

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Someone else has left the past three years. Whether it be the pitching or hitting coach, Joe always seems to get through unscathed, and throughout that time there's been one constant. Time for us to move on from him.

I have to quote this again because the stupidity in this post is so amazing. Joe always seems to get through unscathed LOL, a manager who goes 97 wins, NLCS, 103 wins, World Series champs, 92 wins, NLCS, and a 95 win season some how manages to not get fired. What the **** are you talking about?

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I have to quote this again because the stupidity in this post is so amazing. Joe always seems to get through unscathed LOL, a manager who goes 97 wins, NLCS, 103 wins, World Series champs, 92 wins, NLCS, and a 95 win season some how manages to not get fired. What the **** are you talking about?

You're a real piece of ******* **** arent you? The **** you talk to other people in this thread is beyond old. Acting like you're the only one on this board that knows anything about baseball. I would LOVE to see you say half the **** that comes out of your mouth to my face and to the other people you attack in this thread.

To the irrelevancy of your post: I'll talk down to you in only a way youd understand. In the context of the potential this young core had, the seasons following have been disappointing. We've underperformed since the WS. And you can sit here and tout your win total till you're blue in the face, but the fashion in which we've been bounced out of the postseason plays into the underperformance many of us see. LOL

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
It's not stupid at all. Each of the previos two seasons and this season we have failed towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Each of the previous two we have placed the blame on hitting coaches and got rid of them. 3 hitting coaches in 3 years, and the same issues. At some point, you have to stop blaming lower management.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You're a real piece of ******* **** arent you? The **** you talk to other people in this thread is beyond old. Acting like you're the only one on this board that knows anything about baseball. I would LOVE to see you say half the **** that comes out of your mouth to my face and to the other people you attack in this thread.

To the irrelevancy of your post: I'll talk down to you in only a way youd understand. In the context of the potential this young core had, the seasons following have been disappointing. We've underperformed since the WS. And you can sit here and tout your win total till you're blue in the face, but the fashion in which we've been bounced out of the postseason plays into the underperformance many of us see. LOL

So tell me...when should Maddon have been fired? After year three, you’re firing a guy for going NLCS, World Series Champs, NLCS? For a franchise with the history of the Cubs you’re running out a manager after the most successful three year run in their modern history? Or is it after the following season? A 95 win season which included somehow having the second best bullpen ERA with a makeshift bullpen led by Jesse Chavez. After that year is when you think they should have fired the manager? It was a stupid post the first time and your defense of it is just as dumb.

And trying to threaten someone from behind a keyboard is always a weak look but way to throw that in too.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's not stupid at all. Each of the previos two seasons and this season we have failed towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Each of the previous two we have placed the blame on hitting coaches and got rid of them. 3 hitting coaches in 3 years, and the same issues. At some point, you have to stop blaming lower management.

The previous two years? The Cubs had a great second half two years ago, bouncing back from a terrible first half. Last year they had the best record in the NL. They can switch managers all they want, the window is closed for this group thanks to the moves the front office has made, like I’ve been telling everyone. Let Joe walk, bring in Ross or whoever and it won’t narrow the talent gap between the Cubs and teams like the Dodgers, Astros and Yankees. The Braves and Cardinals are also catching up and passing the Cubs as they can actually develop major league talent internally.

• Disagree
Reactions: chuckd4735

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
So tell me...when should Maddon have been fired? After year three, you’re firing a guy for going NLCS, World Series Champs, NLCS? For a franchise with the history of the Cubs you’re running out a manager after the most successful three year run in their modern history? Or is it after the following season? A 95 win season which included somehow having the second best bullpen ERA with a makeshift bullpen led by Jesse Chavez. After that year is when you think they should have fired the manager? It was a stupid post the first time and your defense of it is just as dumb.

And trying to threaten someone from behind a keyboard is always a weak look but way to throw that in too.

Reading comprehension is hard for someone as dense as you I get it. No one is saying fire him until this offseason and no where did I threaten you, keyboard warrior. Just an invitation to see if you'd be as rude in person as you are on here

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Reading comprehension is hard for someone as dense as you I get it. No one is saying fire him until this offseason and no where did I threaten you, keyboard warrior. Just an invitation to see if you'd be as rude in person as you are on here

So when you said somehow gets through unscathed? What exactly did that mean?

And yeah i would gladly say any of this to your face.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Change in management needs to occur - I really don’t care who, it’s it’s Joe or higher up.

But we can’t go any lower than Joe.

Joe let go of John Mallee, who got our bats to the WS and by all means seemed to have success. 2017 we finished in the NLCS and probably made a mistake deciding not to renew his contract and proceed to hire Chili.

The baserunning and mental mistakes we make are 100% coachable, but when there is a constant regression and all coaches below the head man have been replaced and the regression continues, change needs to happen.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Change in management needs to occur - I really don’t care who, it’s it’s Joe or higher up.

But we can’t go any lower than Joe.

Joe let go of John Mallee, who got our bats to the WS and by all means seemed to have success. 2017 we finished in the NLCS and probably made a mistake deciding not to renew his contract and proceed to hire Chili.

The baserunning and mental mistakes we make are 100% coachable, but when there is a constant regression and all coaches below the head man have been replaced and the regression continues, change needs to happen.

You think Joe makes these decisions independent of the front office?

• Disagree
Reactions: ISUCubswin